Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #29
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
that really stinks let us know what happens sorry about your bad luck
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaskier View Post
Car's at the dealer. Wish me luck.
Little late getting in here but since you drive up North every week. I had this discussion with my service dept and they indicated they are not picky at all about that stuff uless it directly affects the problem. If it doesn't work out you might try them... At least you have your stock CAI back on now...

Good Luck
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #31
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Yeah, the transmisson output shafts have been the main issue. Haven't seen problems with the synchros (if thats the problem).
he did say the synchro is the problem

Quote:
Yeah, mine is most likely the synchro. I did the launch control the other day, then missed the 3rd gear shift. There wasn't a problem until a few days later. Now it grinds every time going into 3rd like the synchro's bad.
You would know without a single doubt if your problem is the output shaft because shift all you want, your car ain't going nowhere with a broken shaft.

It sounds like you have done enough to void the warranty. Unfortunately, and I know you don't want to hear what everyone is saying but, this is going to cost you some $$. You gotta pay to play. Dealers will very very unlikely do the work under warranty. It won't take much for them to see the mods you have done and not to mention takes only a few minutes to hook up and see the computer mapping changes you have done.

Goodluck and I hope you get her 100% again soon.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:44 PM   #32
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
he did say the synchro is the problem

You would know without a single doubt if your problem is the output shaft because shift all you want, your car ain't going nowhere with a broken shaft.

It sounds like you have done enough to void the warranty. Unfortunately, and I know you don't want to hear what everyone is saying but, this is going to cost you some $$. You gotta pay to play. Dealers will very very unlikely do the work under warranty. It won't take much for them to see the mods you have done and not to mention takes only a few minutes to hook up and see the computer mapping changes you have done.

Goodluck and I hope you get her 100% again soon.

See post # 12 ("mine is most likely the synchros")
Based on the symptoms, he thinks its the synchros. The dealership is currently checking it out. But based on the symptoms he's describing, it does sound like the synchros.
I had an issue with the synchros in my STi. It wouldn't go into 5th gear very smoothly, and it would grind pretty bad if I tried to make a fast shift.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #33
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
This will be interesting.
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:42 PM   #34
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Don't manuals also have torque management? And don't most tuners adjust that also on a manual?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Yes sticks do have it. If they changed that there goes the tranny. Plus and engine tune is making more HP and TRQ than the stock config was set for the tranny so there goes tranny warranty.

Guys I did a ton of research on this when looking at my slow car. Also talked to GM engineers what would void and not void. Any part added to the car that is not a disposable part will void the warranty basically.
I would love to know how a manual transmission has torque management... meaning... software that is run by a separate computer that monitors the input of the engine torque to the transmission and then can adjust the output torque from the transmission to the driveshaft and onto the wheels.

I know you've been around the block more than a few times with your auto, Scott. But manuals dont have torque management. The only torque management present on a manual is the combination of my left and right foot. If my left foot is being lazy, my torque management aint so great that day!

Back on topic... did these engineers work in the warranty department for GM? Because I dont care who tells you that stuff, we have rights bro. And they clearly state that the simple act of changing or adding a new part to your car cannot and will not void your warranty. Plain and simple.

If I take my car in for an oil change and they see my long tube headers... they cant walk out and tell me "oh by the way, you're warranty is now voided, nice long tubes by the way!" Parts alone are not justification for voiding a warranty. Anyone who tells you that, is just plain wrong.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
JDBeck23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #35
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post

I know you've been around the block more than a few times with your auto, Scott. But manuals dont have torque management.
Sorry...but you're wrong. There's plenty of TM on M6's.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #36
Unfair
Banned

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsavujr View Post
Its unbelievable taht with only those 2 mods you messed upa TR6060. I thought they were supposed to be stout?? It makes me wonder if I just shouldn't save my money for a GT500...

Sorry about your tranny..
The gt500 has a different version of the tr6060 and so does the vette this has been discussed to death , the tr6060 in the camaro is NOT the same as the vette, gt500, viper...
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #37
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDBeck23 View Post
I would love to know how a manual transmission has torque management... meaning... software that is run by a separate computer that monitors the input of the engine torque to the transmission and then can adjust the output torque from the transmission to the driveshaft and onto the wheels.

I know you've been around the block more than a few times with your auto, Scott. But manuals dont have torque management. The only torque management present on a manual is the combination of my left and right foot. If my left foot is being lazy, my torque management aint so great that day!

Back on topic... did these engineers work in the warranty department for GM? Because I dont care who tells you that stuff, we have rights bro. And they clearly state that the simple act of changing or adding a new part to your car cannot and will not void your warranty. Plain and simple.

If I take my car in for an oil change and they see my long tube headers... they cant walk out and tell me "oh by the way, you're warranty is now voided, nice long tubes by the way!" Parts alone are not justification for voiding a warranty. Anyone who tells you that, is just plain wrong.
Torque managment on a manual is achieved by the computer closing the throttle body between shifts, I am not sure if it does it on launches. Ls3's have electronic throttle bodies, so even if you have the pedal to the floor, the computer will shut the throttle blade a set amount between shifts, and gradually open it back up.

No more cable driven throttle bodies like the good ole days.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #38
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Well, considering a synchro does not have to hold any horsepower, I would say that if you missed a shift bad, that is the reason it is broken. The synchro only equalizes the shaft speeds in the transmission to let you shift, it doesn't care if you have 1000 hp. I don't know how many miles you had on it, but I like to break in a manual trans car with easy shifts for the first 1-2k miles.

Still, a missed shift should not cause the synchro to be destroyed, it most likely was defective/sticking to begin with. Good luck, and hopefully they will take care of you despite your mods.
my thoughts exactly
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #39
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
Torque managment on a manual is achieved by the computer closing the throttle body between shifts, I am not sure if it does it on launches. Ls3's have electronic throttle bodies, so even if you have the pedal to the floor, the computer will shut the throttle blade a set amount between shifts, and gradually open it back up.

No more cable driven throttle bodies like the good ole days.
+1 gotta love technology
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #40
Deltaskier

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Woohoo!! They're fixing the car under warranty.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #41
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
The gt500 has a different version of the tr6060 and so does the vette this has been discussed to death , the tr6060 in the camaro is NOT the same as the vette, gt500, viper...
It may not contain the same gear ratios, but the only version I have seen any data on that discussed stronger internals was the ZR1 trans, it is not like they changed the bearings or somehow put in less rigidity to the unit for all the other applications including the Camaro. Shift wrong on a tight synchro and you will screw it up no matter the car or trans.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #42
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Woohoo!! They're fixing the car under warranty.
Glad to hear it.