Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 06-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #155
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Dealer rep is now informing me that I may either have to make the 125 mile trip before receiving delivery, or he'll fed ex the sales packet to me before the end of the month in order for the military discount to not lapse before GM will release these new Camaros for delivery. I struck a deal over the phone on this car and provided a credit card number as a good faith hold for it.
You mean to tell me that throughout all of this mess that GM would stiff consumers on the military discount because of this stop sale that they ordered? What a run around. Either way ,I am prepared to make the trip,if necessary, and sign all paperwork in order to make the end of the month deadline on my military discount rebate.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:59 PM   #156
Darwood

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
For those who like their switchblade keys, the latest I heard:

The fix is a "knee guard," but same keys.

My best guess on the above design is molded, hard plastic, sort of scalloped "wing" extension that blocks/prevents the knee from hitting the key fob and causing the problem. The molded wing could be made as an integral part of the plastic steering column cover assembly.

Presumably, this is a simpler fix, effective fix, and faster fix than making new keys and key fob replacements. For those of you that already have Camaros (my Z/28 stuck at dealer) you would be able to imagine this fix on your cars better than I.
Do you have a source for this? This is a more acceptable solution and I hope it's true.
Darwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:42 PM   #157
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
For those who like their switchblade keys, the latest I heard:

The fix is a "knee guard," but same keys.

My best guess on the above design is molded, hard plastic, sort of scalloped "wing" extension that blocks/prevents the knee from hitting the key fob and causing the problem. The molded wing could be made as an integral part of the plastic steering column cover assembly.

Presumably, this is a simpler fix, effective fix, and faster fix than making new keys and key fob replacements. For those of you that already have Camaros (my Z/28 stuck at dealer) you would be able to imagine this fix on your cars better than I.
Design, manufacturing, and labor to install would probably cost more than the two keys and fobs....
Old 06-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #158
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwood View Post
Do you have a source for this? This is a more acceptable solution and I hope it's true.
Large dealership with multiple stores . . . but who knows.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #159
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Hopefully, it's bolted on so it can be bolted off.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #160
Darwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Design, manufacturing, and labor to install would probably cost more than the two keys and fobs....
Cost of materials would be less though if it's just a plastic peice.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #161
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Cost of materials would be less though if it's just a plastic peice.
Installation labor would be more because they would need to remove the bottom half of the column, if they use the same cylinder and just Change the type key you have no labor. Last I saw labor was $90 an hour. That piece of plastic on our cars is about $19.
It may be a little cheaper but then you have to take your car in and have them work on it, potential for other damage by incompetent service personel.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:13 PM   #162
Darwood

Quote:
Installation labor would be more because they would need to remove the bottom half of the column, if they use the same cylinder and just Change the type key you have no labor. Last I saw labor was $90 an hour. That piece of plastic on our cars is about $19.
It may be a little cheaper but then you have to take your car in and have them work on it, potential for other damage by incompetent service personel.
You still have labor since the key fobs would need to be programmed so you'll need to take the car in regardless. Of course I'm not sure which would cost more hours, programming or changing the steering column cover.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:14 PM   #163
mandra

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2RS M6
I wonder why they can't just make the keys and send them out to owners. It's my understanding they know the key we need based on the VIN #. My car only went to the dealer once in the first year when the battery went dead. They are pretty far and I don't trust them all that much. (they didn't even put the cover on correctly in the trunk)
mandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #164
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
You still have labor since the key fobs would need to be programmed so you'll need to take the car in regardless. Of course I'm not sure which would cost more hours, programming or changing the steering column cover.
I programmed mine in about 30 seconds.....
Old 06-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #165
Darwood

Quote:
I programmed mine in about 30 seconds.....
Yes but what's the book value for that job. That's what matters, not the actual time spent.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #166
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Yes but what's the book value for that job. That's what matters, not the actual time spent.
Probably no more than .5 hour. Now I have no clue how long it would take to swap out the lower cover.
Another problem with a key guard it would need to be far enough away from the switch to clear anything hanging from your key, or it could get jammed between the key and the guard. Also if it is that far away people will probably be hitting it all the time, then if they break it off you will not only be right back where you were but may cause injuries from the broken piece of plastic. They sure don't want to create a whole new set of problems.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #167
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
I guess it will be new keys and key fobs:

GM reportedly became aware of the problem during internal testing in the wake of the Cobalt controversy. It will modify the Camaro key design so the key and fob are separate pieces.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) hasn't posted a recall notice, but Camaro owners will receive letters telling them how to set up appointments to have their keys replaced, free of charge.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #168
Darwood

Quote:
I guess it will be new keys and key fobs:

GM reportedly became aware of the problem during internal testing in the wake of the Cobalt controversy. It will modify the Camaro key design so the key and fob are separate pieces.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) hasn't posted a recall notice, but Camaro owners will receive letters telling them how to set up appointments to have their keys replaced, free of charge.
That is the official press release but GM has been silent since. That is the more likely outcome however at this current time.