Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM   #15
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrfronty View Post
Not disagreeing with you, just learning here. But again why does the NPP gain 6hp on a LS3 C6? Is a Camaro exhaust more free flowing than a C6?
I've been playing this game for 46 years and I'm still learning too. After about 30 builds, I still don't know it all either. Ever changing game we're playing here.

To your question, the NPP gains 6hp for the same reason MBRP gains 20hp.

The reason being that the "gain" information is coming from sales pukes or marketing maggots. It's all hype. Please don't assume that someone that puts money in their pocket when you choose to buy from them is telling you the truth.
  • Caveat Emptor
  • There's a sucker born every minute
  • Unfortunately even Sales Pukes families have to eat too
I have to say that I do respect a good sales person. Someone that advises their customers correctly, earns the customer business and builds a good relationship with the customer. They are there to help you, not deceive you and they can really help you obtain your goals.

Many products solve problems that don't even exist. All products have to be "sold" or they stop making them.

Get a catback if you like the way it sounds. That's cool and a valid reason to put one on.

Put yourself in this situation. Assume that you have just finished building a 700rwhp FI Gen 5 Camaro. You are still running the OEM catback. Question is do you spend another $1,200 to buy a catback to get to 710rwhp?

Hell no!

Now if you want to change the sound on this beast you built, then buy all means put on a catback.
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold

Last edited by 14pilot; 07-04-2014 at 10:40 AM.
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post
I've been playing this game for 46 years and I'm still learning too. After about 30 builds, I still don't know it all either. Ever changing game we're playing here.

The reason being that the "gain" information is coming from sales pukes or marketing maggots. It's all hype. Please don't assume that someone that puts money in their pocket when you choose to buy from them is telling you the truth.
  • Caveat Emptor
Many products solve problems that don't even exist. All products have to be "sold" or they stop making them.

Get a catback if you like the way it sounds. That's cool and a valid reason to put one on.

Put yourself in this situation. Assume that you have just finished building a 700rwhp FI Gen 5 Camaro. You are still running the OEM catback. Question is do you spend another $1,200 to buy a catback to get to 710rwhp?

Hell no!

Now if you want to change the sound on this beast you built, then buy all means put on a catback.
Makes sense. Only thing, again due to my back ground, I would spend the $1200 for the catback to gain the 10hp.
Crap I spent $1000 on my DOHC V6 Frontier for a set of 4 cams. Took me about 30 man hours to install them (MUCH MUCH harder than LS cam swaps I have done) and I only gained 10whp. And I had no regrets. I did countless stupid, expensive, and difficult things to get that truck some extra horsepower. But I did end up with the fastest NA Frontier in the country to the best of my knowledge.
And I have done a fair amount mods to my nephews 5.3L Colorado & I did a LT4 V8 swap in my old 94' S10.
So I'm not new to the performance game, but I'm certainly new to Camaro's and LS3's I admit. So I am in here trying to learn.
I have NPP, so no desire to change my exhaust. I do have some nice bolt-ons just waiting for my car to reach the 1500 mile break in. But this beast has enough "umph" that I won't need to go as mod crazy this time. I hope
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructo09 View Post
Yep, well known that a catback won't gain you any HP.
The catback will not add any hp but it will add cp.

Meooooow
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
So both GM and MBRP are stretching the truth till it breaks ? My plans all along were to use the factory exhaust with the Long tubes and HF cats ,but all this false advertising is confusing . I for one would like to see an independent dyno test of all that claim more horsepower . Same car ,same temp, same dyno ,same fuel. That would put an end to the BS claims .
Old 07-04-2014, 04:40 PM   #19
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
So both GM and MBRP are stretching the truth till it breaks ? My plans all along were to use the factory exhaust with the Long tubes and HF cats ,but all this false advertising is confusing . I for one would like to see an independent dyno test of all that claim more horsepower . Same car ,same temp, same dyno ,same fuel. That would put an end to the BS claims .
They would post up sheets just like the one you posted. What you want is a INDEPENDENT group to do this. Problem is, it aint gonna happen. No one is going to put all the top catbacks on, just to see if they give a gain. What you have to do is, use a little common sense. Knowing that gains from exhaust swaps are 90% due to relieving a restriction and 10% adding in a crossover (if applicable). Where in the stock system is the restriction? It has a H pipe so the crossover is covered. You might could argue that it's pressbent vs a mandrel catback but it's not horribly bent, like some other OEM exhausts. Also, it's dual 2.5in, which is more than plenty for most builds, even with press bends. The mufflers are straight through, so it's not in the mufflers either.

The answer is, there isn't a appreciable restriction in the OEM exhaust. So how would a aftermarket 2.5in catback gain you any more than a couple HP, at best?
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:38 PM   #20
GONIF

Any additional HP to be had by using no cats vs Stainless Power HF cats with SP Long tubes and factory Muffs ?

So it's like a joke I heard in 1982 what is the biggest lie of 1982 ?
"The Benz is paid for ,the check is in the mail, and it's only a fever blister ".

Last edited by GONIF; 07-05-2014 at 04:51 PM.
GONIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14pilot View Post

• Caveat Emptor
I have to say that I do respect a good sales person. Someone that advises their customers correctly, earns the customer business and builds a good relationship with the customer. They are there to help you, not deceive you and they can really help you obtain your goals.

Hell no!

Your answer is so right that I'm going to crack open a Warsteiner right now and toast it.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:43 PM   #22
GONIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Your answer is so right that I'm going to crack open a Warsteiner right now and toast it.
When I do drink a pilsner ,I prefer
Victory Prima Pilsner .

Less bitter and no skunky after taste. You might want to give it a try .
For toasting ,and getting toasted you can't beat a nice 12 or 18 year old single malt scotch neat. Less filling and Never a hangover
MY personal favorite is The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year Old ,sipping on one now .
Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #23
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
Quote:
Right there with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
When I do drink a pilsner ,I prefer
Victory Prima Pilsner .

Less bitter and no skunky after taste. You might want to give it a try .
For toasting ,and getting toasted you can't beat a nice 12 or 18 year old single malt scotch neat. Less filling and Never a hangover
MY personal favorite is The Balvenie DoubleWood 12 Year Old ,sipping on one now .
Single malt scotch is hard to beat!
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Not disagreeing with you, just learning here. But again why does the NPP gain 6hp on a LS3 C6? Is a Camaro exhaust more free flowing than a C6?
The NPP is just about like a straight pipe when the flaps are open, and yes it has been discussed on here before, but not that much, that it will add a lowly (or high) depending on your perspective 6 HP over the regular single tip OEM style ...Ask Ted at Jannetty or any other reputable tuner that has dyno'd a few.

The NPP may also be classified as an OEM exhaust , so what is our true base line here?

To GONIF, to not buy those catback claims.

However, an aftermarket exhaust designed from head to tail to perform as a complete unit, with posted claims, may be an entirely different matter of course.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
rdrfronty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro Dude View Post
The NPP is just about like a straight pipe when the flaps are open, and yes it has been discussed on here before, but not that much, that it will add a lowly (or high) depending on your perspective 6 HP over the regular single tip OEM style ...Ask Ted at Jannetty or any other reputable tuner that has dyno'd a few.

The NPP may also be classified as an OEM exhaust , so what is our true base line here?

To GONIF, to not buy those catback claims.

However, an aftermarket exhaust designed from head to tail to perform as a complete unit, with posted claims, may be an entirely different matter of course.
If I remember correctly, the OP doesn't have NPP. So in theory he could get the same 6hp with a good catback if it flows as well the NPP.
Granted 6hp isn't much, but it's like frosting on top of the cake, with the cake being the undisputed sound benefit of a good catback.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #26
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
If I remember correctly, the OP doesn't have NPP. So in theory he could get the same 6hp with a good catback if it flows as well the NPP.
Granted 6hp isn't much, but it's like frosting on top of the cake, with the cake being the undisputed sound benefit of a good catback.

Even if it's good for a measly 6 hp, in the grand scheme of performance, that's marginal and easily forgotten with an imperfect launch. For any real power gains, you're going to have to work from the cats up on a Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #27
rdrfronty

Quote:
Even if it's good for a measly 6 hp, in the grand scheme of performance, that's marginal and easily forgotten with an imperfect launch. For any real power gains, you're going to have to work from the cats up on a Camaro.
Fully understood and agreed. Thats why I have a set of 1 7/8" AR Headers and hiflows waiting to be installed once I hit 1500 miles. At that point I can get tuned at the same time. Also have a CAI and scoop waiting too.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:36 AM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Fully understood and agreed. Thats why I have a set of 1 7/8" AR Headers and hiflows waiting to be installed once I hit 1500 miles. At that point I can get tuned at the same time. Also have a CAI and scoop waiting too.
I did this to my 1LE in March and love the results. Come on 1500, haha. Enjoy man!