Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
ShadowDan21
GM Advocate

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
Question Q: Winter Tires/Wheels?

Currently, I live in Michigan. If you didn't already know, this last winter was one of the worst we've had in a long time. With my current car, I managed to survive as long as I drove VERY slowly. I have the stock, all-season tires that came with my 1LT.

I will be financing a new Camaro convertible in the summer of 2015 when my current lease expires. I will be adding the RS package (of course! ) and I understand that it comes with 20" summer tires.

I have looked at a few tire/wheel places and the prices seem to vary greatly, as well as the service according to many online reviews.

My questions are:

1) Which is better, winter or all-season tires?
2) Where is the best place to purchase such tires and wheels? (If online, where can I get them installed professionally and not get overcharged?)
3) What places, if any, offer off-season tire storage? (I know Belle Tire offers the service, but the price varies on a store-to-store basis)
4) What else would I need? (TPMS, locks, etc.)?
5) Which brand is a decent winter tire? Best? Worst?

I would like to try and have the cheapest/lowest price possible, while still getting professional products/service. (an oxymoron I know)

Thanks!

Last edited by ShadowDan21; 07-24-2014 at 12:24 PM.
ShadowDan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Pcschwenke

Drives: 2012 2LT RS Rally Yellow
1. I have a 2012 Charger that driven year round in Northern Michigan. (Our Camaro is parked all winter) The all Season radials are OK, but no where near the traction a good winter radial will deliver. I chose Bridgestone Blizzak's for the Charger and I would do it again in a heart beat. They are an awesome winter tire!

2. I purchased my wheels & tires from Tire Rack online and they were the cheapest & quickest of anyone I've dealt with. The company I work for modifies a lot of wheels for testing and the majority of our customers purchase from them as well.

3. Not sure of this.

4. If the vehicle came with the TPMS, they would have to be installed by someone legally. Otherwise the lights would burn out on your dash after a while. I know of someone who did this. If you buy wheels from tire rack, they would balance the wheels and install the sensors for a about $100 (or there abouts). Their balancer for tires & wheels is amazing. Best I've seen other than factory installed tires & wheels.
Pcschwenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
1. Winter are better in snow and cold. It's not even close.

2. We support the forum and have good price and availability. Also we have a recommend list on installers.

3. Not sure.

4. If purchased we can install the sensors and send all mounted and balanced. We include lugs, center caps. Locks would be extra but may not be needed for winter wheels.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
ShadowDan21
GM Advocate

Drives: 2015 2LT Convertible
Thank you very much for the responses! I'll take a closer look at TireRack!

Which brand/make/model etc. would you recommend for winter tires?

Like I mentioned, I do not need these winter tires to be the BEST out there, just to get me through the winter. In the winter time, I will most likely use my Camaro for work commute ONLY. Other times, I can just take my girlfriend's all-wheel drive Jeep haha!

*edited OP*
ShadowDan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
I would recommend going on our site and looking at an 18 inch wheel tire package. You can get wheels and tires for just a little more than 20 inch snows.

If you go 18's look at the Blizzaks. If you go with 20 inch tires look at the Pirelli Scorpion Winter tires.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote