Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #1485
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Same reason in a PS3. No TRIM support. Over time the SSD will degrade because of this.
Figured that was the case, with that being said certain SSDs are pretty good at managing blocks of data and marking them unused without Trim.

Intel's are known for this but by the time you buy a decent size you will basically have bought the PS4 again. All of that for still having a reduced lifespan and negligible difference in boot and load times.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #1486
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
The best bang for the buck is either a very large capacity 7200 RPM drive or a Hybrid SATA drive. A ps3 or ps4 will never fully utilize a SSD or anything faster than a 7200 RPM drive. Also it uses SATA II, not SATA III.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #1487
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
The best bang for the buck is either a very large capacity 7200 RPM drive or a Hybrid SATA drive. A ps3 or ps4 will never fully utilize a SSD or anything faster than a 7200 RPM drive. Also it uses SATA II, not SATA III.
Oh that I did not know, I thought it used SATA III. And I agree with you, a SSD is no near being smart for the price.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #1488
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
Ya I have heard really good things about hybrid drives. They work really really well if you keep playing the same game over again. It keeps those files on the SSD portion. I do see added SSD support for the ps4 in the future. They could just release a software patch. I think they will do it because loading times are only going to increase as the new system has more ram. A hard drive can only move so fast, so transferring up to 16GB to RAM will take a while.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:06 AM   #1489
GoldCartridgeGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
Ya I have heard really good things about hybrid drives. They work really really well if you keep playing the same game over again. It keeps those files on the SSD portion. I do see added SSD support for the ps4 in the future. They could just release a software patch. I think they will do it because loading times are only going to increase as the new system has more ram. A hard drive can only move so fast, so transferring up to 16GB to RAM will take a while.
Nope. This is not something they will or can patch into the system OS. It will have to be built into the ps5 (?). I do not see them doing it because the full games play off the disc and majority of gamers are still buying their games at retail. Very few are downloading retail games and the psn games run just fine on the current setup. The PS4 only has 8GB of RAM and if I remember correctly devs only have access to 5GB of that RAM.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:30 PM   #1490
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhosty View Post
Gotta agree with the guy above me. As I posted above the actual bottle necks of the system is the blu-ray drive for disc based games and other hardware for digital based games. The difference in read and write times of a 7200 rpm HDD and an SSD are miniscule because of this. This isn't something a software patch can fix. Adding SSD support and making it a viable option will require a hardware upgrade that will only increase the price of the PS4.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #1491
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Yea I picked up a Seagate 1TB SSHD and a 8GB thumb drive to transfer the OS over from online to the PS4. Also I am doing this before I even start up the system for the first time.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:01 PM   #1492
TheGhosty

I am sorry. I assumed we were talking about all digital games. I play a lot of Gran Turismo 5/6 on ps3 and after repeated testing they found that a SSD-Hybrid-Stock drives are fastest in that order. You are correct that the bottleneck is usually the disk reader. I tend to avoid disks if i know I will log a ton of hours on a game. Though I prefer disk games so I can re sell them later. The best bang for you buck seems to be the hybrid drive. I've seen some go as low as $80 for 1TB I am waiting it out for 2TB at that price.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #1493
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
It going to be awhile for the 2TB to drop to that it going for what 150 now? Maybe next year?
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 10:26 PM   #1494
TheGhosty

Ya, it's gonna be a while. And those hybrids are harder to find. But there are so few good games out for the ps4 right now so it's going to be a while before I fill what I got anyway.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #1495
Dave McFly
*new car smell*

Drives: 2007 Ford Mustang 'Natasha'
Send a message via ICQ to Dave McFly Send a message via AIM to Dave McFly Send a message via MSN to Dave McFly Send a message via Yahoo to Dave McFly Send a message via Skype™ to Dave McFly
I hope to get my PS4 in a week or 2 cannot wait and I too will be upgrading the HD for a bigger one and save the 500 gig from it for a future PS3 purchase.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #1496
Toms2010

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
As I posted above the actual bottle necks of the system is the blu-ray drive for disc based games and other hardware for digital based games. The difference in read and write times of a 7200 rpm HDD and an SSD are miniscule because of this. Adding SSD support and making it a viable option will require a hardware upgrade that will only increase the price of the PS4.
My understanding is the blu ray drive is only used during installation of the game. After that you only need the disc in the drive for verification. As the drive gets filled, it will start removing the games you have not played to free up space if you need it.
Vararam CAI - Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body - Vmax Black Iceolator - Custom Exhaust - Magnaflow Res X 11386 - 2.5" Pipe from X on Back - Magnaflow Round Mufflers 10416 - Lime Green Hood Spears - Lime Green Gill Stripes - SJM AutoProd Sequential Turn Signals - SJM AutoProd Always On DRL Fog Lights
Toms2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #1497
GoldCartridgeGamer

Anyone getting diablo 3? Debating it. Also, debating of selling some of my ps4 games.

How to hug your camaro
Old 08-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #1498
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Anyone getting diablo 3? Debating it. Also, debating of selling some of my ps4 games.
I picked it up a month ago for ps3 for $20 brand new. Pretty legit game. I'm sure it'll be better on PS4.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote