Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
senadin

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro M6 LT RS
Different brands front and back, ok?

hello,

I did a search beforehand and couldnt find anything on this topic. Long story short, this morning on my way back home from work, i noticed my front right tire with low air. I checked my tire when i got home and i noticed a nail in it. I took it out hoping it wasnt thru the tire and it was! I put the nail back in and drove to my dealer. Now my tires were due to be changed by the end of the summer but i kinda got forced to change them right away. Now and this is my mistake, i went with the best the dealer could get, which is odd since it was Michelin Pilot Sport a/s3.

So after paying a nice chunk of change, (nearly 800$CDN) a lot more than i would have if i hadnt waited and ordered from Tirerack i went back home. Now later tonite i was checking to see if they have a matching pair for the rear. Well turns out they dont make Pilotsport for the rear in that size!!! I should have checked when i was at the dealer for the brand that would offer both front and rear. I guess now it is too late and i will have to get a different brand for the rear, which are due to be replaced by the end of the summer as well!

I guess my question is beside the obvious esthetic different look and thread what would be my best bet? I mean Michelin does make some different tires in that size for the rear but they are extremely pricey and this is for tire rack! like nearly 400$ US for them. What would be my best options? I guess i am pretty much stuck now with driving different brand for the next 4 years!

Thanks for the help!
senadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
anthony.

Drives: summit white 2lt RS
Take it back to the dealer and say you want the rears as well. If they can't get the same exact tires ( which your saying isn't produced ) make a big deal about it and say you refuse to have mismatching tires. Personally I wouldn't run mismatching tires.
anthony. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #3
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
My understanding is as long as they are the same on the axle its cool. Becomes a matter of preference after that.

What dealer in Oshawa? Ive started the dreaded winter tire search.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
senadin

Drives: 2011 IBM Camaro M6 LT RS
Yes they are on the same axle, sorry if it wasnt clear. Both front are on Michelin Pilot Sport. Rear it's still my Pirelli's which are due to be changed before fall. I took it to Ontario Motor Sales dealership.
senadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Au201

Drives: Black V6 auto 2LT RS
Different brands front and back, ok?

Having different tires in the front and rear may upset the stability of the car, especially in adverse weather conditions. That would be the only concern. But I have a bad feeling you may be stuck now

Sent from my bragging iPhone using an app that encourages it.
Au201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
TexasFright

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS, 2012 BMW 128i
Mine has mismatched tires for now, I prefer not to run it though. When I bought mine a few months ago it had the stock pirellis but someone put 245's on the back trying to save $ I guess at some point. A couple calls and I found out 2 factory rears installed was about $650, I much preferred the tires I had one my 2011 LS before this from firestone (Firestone Firehawk Wideoval AS) and those were on sale for $310 installed. So those ended up on the back, the front Pirellis were about at 50% so I didn't need to replace them exactly then but I plan on replacing with the same ones before winter
TexasFright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
OMS huh... I don't have a lot of faith in them. I waited two weeks without a word about getting the key for the car I bought... it was up to me to call them and GM etc... until I called to cancel because I found a different unit with a key.. then they were my best buds for 24 hours.

I just went to Costco tonight to check on tire prices... not bad at alllllllll - They have Pirelli also.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote