Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 PM   #99
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherburner View Post
And why does the LS3 turn better than the L99?
Well, mine turns better because it a 1LE and only comes in M6. For road course work, a Manual transmission typically results in faster lap times than the car with an auto.

For what I do with my car, the M6 works better. I think you're missing the point here, what I'm saying is there is way more to performance than a straight line.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:59 PM   #100
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Well, mine turns better because it a 1LE and only comes in M6. For road course work, a Manual transmission typically results in faster lap times than the car with an auto.

For what I do with my car, the M6 works better. I think you're missing the point here, what I'm saying is there is way more to performance than a straight line.
Staight line performance is very popular...that's why you more posts about 1/4 mile times then you do lap times.....so really that seems to be the more popular measuring stick for these cars.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:07 PM   #101
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Staight line performance is very popular...that's why you more posts about 1/4 mile times then you do lap times.....so really that seems to be the more popular measuring stick for these cars.
Unless you spend more time in the 1LE section

I'm about the better overall package, and I think the LS3/M6 is the better overall package.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 PM   #102
Featherburner
11 Sec. Bolton car.

Drives: 09 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post

I'm not missing anything. I love to turn. I do it on my motorcycle and in my cars. I've been operating a manual since I was 6 on motorcycles and for more than 30 years while driving cars. With the advancement of automatics and computer controlled transmissions with paddle/tap shifting the argument of a manual being better on a road course is moot.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #103
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Auto transmissions have a higher % of parasitic loss.
Also they have different motors. Couple components are different.

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #104
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
I'm not missing anything. I love to turn. I do it on my motorcycle and in my cars. I've been operating a manual since I was 6 on motorcycles and for more than 30 years while driving cars. With the advancement of automatics and computer controlled transmissions with paddle/tap shifting the argument of a manual being better on a road course is moot.
x2

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:52 PM   #105
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Who says a LS3 wont outrun a 5.0?

This video has to be removed since street racing videos arent allowed on here...I didnt know that.

Last edited by Muscle Car Memories; 08-24-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #106
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
To answer the OP's question, both motors have different valvetrains and the LS3's is more aggressive than the L99's. The LS3 gets better fuel economy not due to the motor, but due to the increased efficiency in the transmission and the broader overdrive gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
If ls3 was so much better why are there so few on the fast list compared to l99?
You realize that there are 2 automatics for every 1 manual SS produced, right? There are more L99's in the "fast list" because there are far, far, far more L99's on the road than LS3's. America has this nasty habit of breeding folks that don't know how to drive manual transmissions, so that's why automatics are the new "standard." We have very unskilled drivers.

An LS3 makes 26 more horsepower and dynos with 5% greater efficiency. If you can drive a manual well, it will smoke an equal automatic every time. It is, simply put, impossible to be as consistent with an M6 as with an A6 since the automatic just requires one foot and no hands to drive, so it takes a bit of work to run a good ET with a manual in a perfectly straight line. By that same logic, you probably won't find a single L99 anywhere on a "fast list" on a track with a turn. Modded, both motors will have similar potential, but it'll cost a whole lot more to mod an L99. Typically, a cam swap on an L99 is an extra $1,000 over an LS3, and there are less camshaft options. Running from a roll makes it a bit easier to showcase the LS3+M6 advantage since it's a lot tougher to launch with a clutch. From a stop, the manual driver will probably have to play catch-up most of the time due to the increased difficulty launching.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:32 AM   #107
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
Well I can't compare stock anymore, but some $$ in my auto and it works great on the track or the strip. Thanks to some timing changes and widening the rpm tolerances in the flappy paddles (and physically larger paddles) I can upshift and downshift at any reasonable rpm that would grenade a standard clutch (i've done it in the past) and I can keep both hands on the wheel (Bonus). Not using them (the paddles) at the strip with the new shift points and timings each shift launches the car forward as long as the traction holds. On the street if you don't drive like grandma or start in second it will get you a racing or breaking traction ticket. I've had dozens of manuals, but I don't think I could go back to one after having a properly tuned automatic with the ability to shift with paddles on the steering wheel that actually allows you to change gear when YOU want to. Take away that ability and I would have a manual, but it just isn't a must anymore.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #108
Quick

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th
Quote:
Right, you have a larger engine, less weight, and a better rear gear ratio! Why would your car be faster?
6.0 vs 6.2 really? My car weighs almost 4100 pounds. A few hundred
more than your car. As for the 2.92 vs the 3.27 not that much difference.
I'm running 20" wheels so I'm probably geared higher than yours.

If your car is stock and running on stock street tires and running 12.1's
then there is something you aren't telling me.

Something wicked this way cometh...
Quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #109
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I've got a 3.27 diff sitting around for your G8...

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #110
Featherburner
11 Sec. Bolton car.

Drives: 09 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrichards73 View Post
I've got a 3.27 diff sitting around for your G8...
Thanks but I picked up a 3.45 diff with a trutrac. I just have to get around to installing it.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #111
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Oh boy here we go talking about the 2014 tailights.....I personally love my tailights on my 2014.
You know how this deal works.
You pick on everybody who doesn't have what you have.
So that means I have to pick on everybody who doesn't have either a LS3, a M6, or 10-13 tail lights.
That is, of course, until I trade mine for a '15 V6 auto.
Then I'll have a whole new set of friends and enemies!
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #112
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
You know how this deal works.
You pick on everybody who doesn't have what you have.
So that means I have to pick on everybody who doesn't have either a LS3, a M6, or 10-13 tail lights.
That is, of course, until I trade mine for a '15 V6 auto.
Then I'll have a whole new set of friends and enemies!

Your not gonna puss out and buy a V6 after having that SS are you?
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote