Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2014, 08:20 PM   #547
KorovaMB

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
It's getting time for me to look at buying some winter shoes, but I could use a little help with figuring out my best option. I'm planning to use my OEM rims for my Winter tires (I'll be picking up new rims for my Summers in the new year). I have a '13 SS, thus 20" rims running 245/45R20 up front and 275/40R20 in back. In reviewing through much of this thread, I've seen a lot of good things said about the Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow. But in looking at Tire Rack, I see them only in the rear 275/40R20, not the 245/45R20. I check the Pirelli site, and they show available in the front 245/45R20, but not the rear 275/40R20.

What Tire Rack does show available is the Pirelli Scorpion Winter, or the Blizzak LM-32 (if I go square 245/45R20). My questions:

1. Anyway to get either a staggered or square setup to work with Scorpion Ice & Snow?
2. What are the main differences between that and the Scorpion Winter?
3. How does the Blizzak LM-32 do in snow & ice?

Thanks
KorovaMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #548
Rudy@Tirerack

Drives: 1-800-428-8355 X4664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp Z View Post
Do you have them in stock? Will they fit on the rear rims?
Yes to both.
Rudy@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #549
LoneCynic

Drives: 2015 BVM 1SS/1LE
Hello, I ordered a 2015 1LE Camaro recently, and got a call from the dealer saying that it was going to be built next week. Figuring that it will be mid-October by the time the car arrives, I'm not going to have much time to drive it before I need to keep those tires that come with the 1LE package in out of the cold.

I know a fair amount about cars, but have never really learned a lot about tires. My 2011 Camaro 1LS that I'll be trading in still has the factory all season tires on it, and at 30k miles, still has very full tread on them. (I am not hard on tires at all BTW). All previous vehicles to that were sedans and pickup trucks, so when it came time to replace tires on those, I always just went with whatever was cheapest/had the longest milage estimates/were good for off-road (on the trucks).

That all being said, I'm thinking pretty soon after I get my 1LE, I'm going to need to switch to something else going into winter (Live in Ohio). I'd like to save the stock rims and tires in a heated garage for summer use/track use only. I'd like to get a setup similar to what I have on my LS for the 1LE for the rest of the year. I still own a pickup truck for the snowy season, so I don't want to go with winter specific tires, as the Camaro will not be driven in those conditions if I can help it. I just want something for daily driving through fall and spring that will last for many miles, and be a square setup that I can do full tire rotations with, much like I've done with the LS Camaro these past years.

I'd also like to go with 18 inch rims, same size all around and same tire all around for this purpose. An all season tire that is also rated well for a performance car. I think the extra sidewall that 18 inch rims could allow for would be good, as there are many high curbs most places I go.

Rudy, can you recommend anything along these lines for me? That way I have a set of tires to last for everyday driving, including some in winter when it is just cold, but no snow, and long milage estimate. Then I can save the rims and sticky tires that come with the car for mid summer and track days only, and get longer life out of them since they aren't estimated to last the long haul milage wise, and aren't good to run in cold temperatures.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can offer. I appreciate you running this thread for those of us uneducated on tires.
LoneCynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #550
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
I have a 2014 2SS with RS package. I thought I read that only 20' wheels will clear the Brebos and the dumbell vibration dampers, but the Tirerack website is offering me 19' wheel s as well. What's the answer? Also what is better, 245's all around or 235's? Also what width can I get? I think 9 inch?

Need to buy soon so looking for information.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning

Last edited by Muscle Car Lover; 09-09-2014 at 06:49 PM.
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #551
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneCynic View Post
Hello, I ordered a 2015 1LE Camaro recently, and got a call from the dealer saying that it was going to be built next week. Figuring that it will be mid-October by the time the car arrives, I'm not going to have much time to drive it before I need to keep those tires that come with the 1LE package in out of the cold.

I know a fair amount about cars, but have never really learned a lot about tires. My 2011 Camaro 1LS that I'll be trading in still has the factory all season tires on it, and at 30k miles, still has very full tread on them. (I am not hard on tires at all BTW). All previous vehicles to that were sedans and pickup trucks, so when it came time to replace tires on those, I always just went with whatever was cheapest/had the longest milage estimates/were good for off-road (on the trucks).

That all being said, I'm thinking pretty soon after I get my 1LE, I'm going to need to switch to something else going into winter (Live in Ohio). I'd like to save the stock rims and tires in a heated garage for summer use/track use only. I'd like to get a setup similar to what I have on my LS for the 1LE for the rest of the year. I still own a pickup truck for the snowy season, so I don't want to go with winter specific tires, as the Camaro will not be driven in those conditions if I can help it. I just want something for daily driving through fall and spring that will last for many miles, and be a square setup that I can do full tire rotations with, much like I've done with the LS Camaro these past years.

I'd also like to go with 18 inch rims, same size all around and same tire all around for this purpose. An all season tire that is also rated well for a performance car. I think the extra sidewall that 18 inch rims could allow for would be good, as there are many high curbs most places I go.

Rudy, can you recommend anything along these lines for me? That way I have a set of tires to last for everyday driving, including some in winter when it is just cold, but no snow, and long milage estimate. Then I can save the rims and sticky tires that come with the car for mid summer and track days only, and get longer life out of them since they aren't estimated to last the long haul milage wise, and aren't good to run in cold temperatures.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can offer. I appreciate you running this thread for those of us uneducated on tires.
You new car has bigger brakes than your old car. You can not go down to 18's. You can do a 19 inch package with a 275/40R19 all around for winter. If you go to my website and enter your car and click winter it will show you the 19 inch wheels that will fit. For an all weather tire I would recommend the Conti Extreme DWS which is a good performer with better light snow traction.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:32 AM   #552
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Lover View Post
I have a 2014 2SS with RS package. I thought I read that only 20' wheels will clear the Brebos and the dumbell vibration dampers, but the Tirerack website is offering me 19' wheel s as well. What's the answer? Also what is better, 245's all around or 235's? Also what width can I get? I think 9 inch?

Need to buy soon so looking for information.
The 19's I list on the site will work no problem. I would go with the 235/55R19 because it will give you the best winter/snow/ice performance.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #553
Rudy@Tirerack

Hey everyone! When ordering please either call me direct or when ordering online reference "Rudy/Camaro5". This gets the forum and myself credit for the sale. Thank you!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:15 AM   #554
mantarey

Drives: 77corvette/2011blkcamaro
good morning to all. want to ask this question., trying to see if I can fit a 20x12 wheel on the back of my Camaro(2011)? any info will be very helpful thank you to all
mantarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #555
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Hi Rudy, I'm not seeing much of a selection in 18, 19 or 20's. I have a 2014 2SS RS. I end up with a few light truck tires pop up such as Pirelli Scorpion winter under 20's. Any suggestions? I need a tire/wheel package. I'm upstate NY so we get a fair amount of snow.
Software Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #556
Muscle Car Lover

All,

Rudy will not steer you wrong.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377818

For any SS model, please check out what my setup is, well priced and perfectly ready for a Northeast winter.
Rims are 19" Sport Edition WX5 and tires are Blizzack DMV-1s 235/55/19
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 09-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #557
Corp Z

Drives: Camaro
Heres a pic of the setup.
Attached Images

Corp Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #558
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp Z View Post
Heres a pic of the setup.
Yup, we have the same setup! I like the wheels, look better in person than online.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #559
Rudy@Tirerack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Software Guy View Post
Hi Rudy, I'm not seeing much of a selection in 18, 19 or 20's. I have a 2014 2SS RS. I end up with a few light truck tires pop up such as Pirelli Scorpion winter under 20's. Any suggestions? I need a tire/wheel package. I'm upstate NY so we get a fair amount of snow.
18's will not fit unless your remove the roller skate dampers. You will then have increased brake noise/chatter.

19's is the best option. You are correct there are only a handful of 19 inch wheels that clear. You can use my website to see them. Don't worry about the Pirelli Scorpion winter is labeled as a Truck/SUV tire. The Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow and the newer Scorpion Winter have a proven track record for working great on these cars. Let me know if you have other questions.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #560
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy@Tirerack View Post
18's will not fit unless your remove the roller skate dampers. You will then have increased brake noise/chatter.

19's is the best option. You are correct there are only a handful of 19 inch wheels that clear. You can use my website to see them. Don't worry about the Pirelli Scorpion winter is labeled as a Truck/SUV tire. The Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow and the newer Scorpion Winter have a proven track record for working great on these cars. Let me know if you have other questions.
This must be where my confusion is coming into place because I'm thinking about getting 18s over 17s in case I upgrade to an SS next year. on the site it says 18s fit and here on the forum im reading that I have to go with 19s.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote