Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Difficulty shifting into 3rd

Hey guys,

Ever since I bought this car, it seems reluctant to shift into 3rd gear. (a 2-3 shift). Sometimes it will go easy as pie, sometimes it kind of hesitates, and then goes in, other times it is like I am trying to put the lever through a brick wall, it just won't move. And on occasion, I get a slight (Very slight) gear grind/buzz shifting into 3rd gear.

This is NOT a skip shift issue (Cause it happens when driving 'spiritedly', and just driving aggresively enough for skip shift to NOT activate.

If I row through the gears with the car turned off, I can do a 2-3 shift all day long with no problems, which leads me to think it might be a synchro issue. Also downshifting from 4-3 gives me no problems. It is only the 2-3 shift.

I am gonna take her into the dealer this coming week anyways, but just wondering what your opinions are? Maybe this is something that just needs a bit more break in? I only have 3000 kms on it. (1900 miles-ish). And it for sure is not an abuse issue, I treat this girl pretty good. Haven't even done a burnout yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Hey guys,

Ever since I bought this car, it seems reluctant to shift into 3rd gear. (a 2-3 shift). Sometimes it will go easy as pie, sometimes it kind of hesitates, and then goes in, other times it is like I am trying to put the lever through a brick wall, it just won't move. And on occasion, I get a slight (Very slight) gear grind/buzz shifting into 3rd gear.

This is NOT a skip shift issue (Cause it happens when driving 'spiritedly', and just driving aggresively enough for skip shift to NOT activate.

If I row through the gears with the car turned off, I can do a 2-3 shift all day long with no problems, which leads me to think it might be a synchro issue. Also downshifting from 4-3 gives me no problems. It is only the 2-3 shift.

I am gonna take her into the dealer this coming week anyways, but just wondering what your opinions are? Maybe this is something that just needs a bit more break in? I only have 3000 kms on it. (1900 miles-ish). And it for sure is not an abuse issue, I treat this girl pretty good. Haven't even done a burnout yet!
I think it just needs more break in. How many mies have you driven? Remember some gear grinding can occur during break in, it is normal. However if you're over 1000 driving miles, then take it in just to be sure..
Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I would take it in.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
See if it dos the same thing if not running if so its the shifter.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:24 AM   #5
Outlaw

Drives: 2SS M6, IBM w/ Silver Rally
Mine resisted a little bit the 1st couple hundred miles and now no probs but if you are well on your way to break in I would for sure take it in just to be safe!

Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Van

Drives: 2006 EVO MR - 390 @ wheels
Although more than likely you're probably right and something might be off--the complaints of 2-3 gearing are numerous. Just to eliminate other variables...when you shift, do you push the shifter into gear? Or do you guide the shifter and let it go into the gear on its own? Some people have a habit of slamming gears or forcing gears, they move it where they think it should go, and things don't always work out right. If built correctly, you should be able to slip it into any gear you want with little effort.

More than likely though, if you've got a bad feeling about the shift--you're probably right and should take it in just in case. That way there's a complaint of it on file should something occur later on and didn't find anything wrong now.
3000, Order accepted by production control 8/18/2009 TPW 9/07/2009
3300, Order scheduled for production 8/24/2009
3400, Order broadcast 9/1/2009
3800, Order produced 9/11/2009
4200, Shipped 9/11/2009
5000, Delivered to the dealer
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
Lite_Beer_Man

Drives: SIM 1SS MAN 6SPD
I have noticed similar issue when shifting from Second to Third. Not quite the extent that you mention (brick wall) but notice a slight grinding sensation on my right hand. Does not happen when shifting into any other gear. I am also the kind of person that does not slam it into gear but shift smoothly. I have 1500 miles on car so it should be broke in already however still remains the same grinding feeling since day one.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:52 PM   #8
Deltaskier

Drives: 1968 Camaro
I had trouble getting it into 3rd as well. My car's now in th shop getting the synchros replaced. But, I was slamming it into gear trying to run pocketdyno on my iphone.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Jferrell88

Drives: black 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite_Beer_Man View Post
I have noticed similar issue when shifting from Second to Third. Not quite the extent that you mention (brick wall) but notice a slight grinding sensation on my right hand. Does not happen when shifting into any other gear. I am also the kind of person that does not slam it into gear but shift smoothly. I have 1500 miles on car so it should be broke in already however still remains the same grinding feeling since day one.
me three! i dont have any issues shifting but sometimes i get the grind
Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
Alan67

Drives: 67 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltaskier View Post
I had trouble getting it into 3rd as well. My car's now in th shop getting the synchros replaced. But, I was slamming it into gear trying to run pocketdyno on my iphone.
What is pocket dyno
Alan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #11
BLACK67

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Send a message via MSN to BLACK67
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Hey guys,

Yes, I have the same issue. You stand on it....1...2....BAMM...brick wall.
It is pissin me off! One in 3 times. I have driven standards all my life but this one is getting my goat.
I have the SLP Skip Shift Eliminator which makes the car a pleasure to drive but not nailing third sometimes is my biggest annoyance right now. Im wondering if the Hurst shifter will smooth this out?
Dynatech LT headers, Hi flow Cats
MBRP 3" 304 stainless X-pipe exhaust
Fastlane true CAI.
Barton shifter
BLACK67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
Deltaskier

Drives: 1968 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan67 View Post
What is pocket dyno
Yes it was pocket dyno. Car is back from the dealer. Fixed under warranty & doing fine now.
Deltaskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #13
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Small update, going to dealer tomorrow to get my GFX put on, gonna get em to look at trans while it's in there and also look at my passenger door panel making a vibration noise from the acrylic panel when the stereo is playing a more bass-filled song.

Dealer seems to think it may be a synchro issue, says that this is not exactly a rare complaint, apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:13 AM   #14
my2010camaross
ss

Drives: all black ss
Well, I too experienced the original posters' description. I have been driving manuals since the age of 8, im 20 now, however not as a daily driver. A couple of things I have picked up on from my brother, that made shifting 2nd nature are: when traveling around the city, and really even on the high way, when I shift from 2-3-4 w/e, I shift just like I were releasing the cluth and giving it gas like in first gear, first taking off. Just not as much, this simple manuever has helped.
my2010camaross is offline   Reply With Quote