Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-14-2014, 09:52 AM   #1
MBS

Drives: 2010 rs 2lt
Cleaning and polishing Stainless steel headers ,(what products works best )

I recently bought a used set of Stainless steel Headers , They are in great shape but have a discolor look right now , What is the best way/ product to get them looking new again ?and polishing them does that help and how long will it last?
MBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Headers will discolor, its just the way it is.....

When you buy them new, take a picture, cause it will be the last time they ever look that way.
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
MBS

Jeez , Posted this in the general forum to get some help and now it is in this section where I bet I wont get any help or suggestions , What a joke , Cant understand why they have to move it so quickly , This site makes it hard to get help sometimes with all the subforms and confusion , they could of at least left it in the general forum for a stinking day , Thanks for the help if I get any .
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
MBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBandit911 View Post
Headers will discolor, its just the way it is.....

When you buy them new, take a picture, cause it will be the last time they ever look that way.
Well I seen some products that look like they shine them up pretty nice , So I was hoping someone had some suggestions with personal experiences
Old 12-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
The headers on my GSX-R750 are stainless steel and I use chrome cleaner….stainless steel is stainless steel all the way , you can't polish it off is what Im trying to say. You can't see the headers, but I like posting the picture
Attached Images

Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Any metal polish will help. Check out Mother's, available at any auto store and even Walmart.

Why you think you wouldn't get detailing answers in the detailing section is beyond me. People are less likely to help when you launch into a preemptive whine session.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
Metal polish will definitely help. Welcome to the detailing section, we do actually contribute and help in this section for future questions.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:40 PM   #8
MBS

Hey thanks guys for the help , Sorry wasnt meaning to dis on you guys in the detailing section , I actually did not know what section I should put it in since it was a exhaust related issue . I will look into the Mothers brand I have almost always had good luck with their products .
Old 12-14-2014, 07:18 PM   #9
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
There are quite a few places that you can send them to that will do a hi temp coating on them. Although you can polish them with metal polish the heat will eventually discolor them.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #10
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
This forum has the best input and feedback on C5, maybe not in the instant info sense, but waiting a few hours will save you tons of time later.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote