Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #43
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
Every Dodge I coached at the track was a rocket. Had a student with a sublime Charger, he had close to 100K miles and he had never had any issues. It was fast
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #44
RenoSyn

Drives: Feet
Awesome choice, I love the new Challengers too! You can't go wrong with either!
RenoSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #45
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Show me concrete numbers that show Dodge has more engine issues than Chevy that Chart means nothing in that regard, but that is all you have I guess.
People don't walk into a dealership and buy an engine. They buy a car. If that car is a Dodge, it will suffer poor reliability compared to every other major auto manufacturer on the planet. Why does reliability matter? Because it's the #1 reason buyers choose a vehicle.

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/blo...icle-model.htm

You wonder why Dodge wallows at the bottom of the sales rankings??

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #46
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
People don't walk into a dealership and buy an engine. They buy a car. If that car is a Dodge, it will suffer poor reliability compared to every other major auto manufacturer on the planet. Why does reliability matter? Because it's the #1 reason buyers choose a vehicle.

Um...Dodge was number 11 in the rankings for November 2014. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/12...-rankings.html

Dodge was ahead of MB, VW, BMW etc .

FCA as a whole was #4

So evidently your point about "sales rankings" isn't valid
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #47
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:

Keep in mind that those ranking include the whole Dodge line up - Durangos, Darts, Journeys, and the like.

Anyone have a graph just comparing the Challenger vs Camaro? That would be more prevalent for this discussion.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #48
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Keep in mind that those ranking include the whole Dodge line up - Durangos, Darts, Journeys, and the like.

Anyone have a graph just comparing the Challenger vs Camaro? That would be more prevalent for this discussion.
I haven't seen one, but I do know the Challenger usually gets recognized for one of the JD Power awards for overall quality and reliability. The 2015 hasn't been ranked yet.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #49
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
you may want to check on the repair history on true delta of dodge products first.......... and think about if you want to mod the car in the future what pains it entails..... and think about things like if ...say a car has a iron block and aluminum heads now often one might have to take the valve covers off and retighten all the head bolts, etc... and well being a hemi head if it has basically couple little cams on top of the heads that operate the valves like old hemis..... just a few things to think about as iron and aluminum do expand and contract at different rates and head bolts tend to walk out eventually on iron block and aluminum head cars such as the srt8 hellcat ...I know I am a old hot rodder, and then you can check into the problems most challengers or other things like chargers have had happen. ANd from what I saw their track record is........ http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability not that they have the challenger on there..... as I guess not enough people joined like Zero , and yet enough I have read says dodge leads the pack in repair trips........ big time over chevy and yes ford too. http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm

SO good luck to you the new hemis are weirder than the old hemis...... can you say 16 spark plugs? weird the way they can make things change over time, and hope you do not have displacement on demand...... http://www.allpar.com/mopar/SRT-V8.html here read up some on hemi rods or hemiroids as we called them, there are many from the 5.7 in the r/t and stuff and they well..... all look like they are cast iron block and aluminum heads and heavy like the car. Not that I do not like the appearance of the challenger or the mustang, I just did a lot of homework to know I picked the right car for longevity, ease of build, and good looks, back seat not so much...but the same is said for the mustang, and well you don't want to get into building dual over head cammed expensive rubber band timed coyote dropping do yah? I didn't and being a old hot rodder think about it..... who made the most popular engines that were retrofitted to other brands........ who is still currently making the most popular engine being retrofitted into hotrods more than any other... the LS series is that just as the small and big bock chevys were and are...... Just putting in my ten cents, there is a reason Camaros have been so popular out selling the competition especially the challenger by so far.
Funny, my 01 Dakota with 260k miles and my 04 with 125k miles are both running great, but my 99 Silverado is sitting undrivable with a broken ignition and locked steering wheel, so much for reliability?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:22 PM   #50
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Medisin loves to take that chart every time to show that Dodge is junk, in the real world the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang are so close in reliability and it just comes down to what one of the three speaks to you, or what one checks all the items that you are looking for in a Muscle/Pony Car.

Only issue that I have had with my RT is the FM signal interference that I get from the Engine, my 2008 Caliber just was traded in at the 300k mark on a 2015 Chrysler 200 so will see how this new one is in the reliability dept.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #51
SpeedIsLife

Quote:
Medisin loves to take that chart every time to show that Dodge is junk, in the real world the Challenger, Camaro and Mustang are so close in reliability and it just comes down to what one of the three speaks to you, or what one checks all the items that you are looking for in a Muscle/Pony Car.

Only issue that I have had with my RT is the FM signal interference that I get from the Engine, my 2008 Caliber just was traded in at the 300k mark on a 2015 Chrysler 200 so will see how this new one is in the reliability dept.
Did you get an S? AWD V6?
Old 12-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
rocket403

I ended up getting the Limited 2.4L 184hp Tigershark, my wifes car I drive it a bit and really like it. The 9sp trans is great and getting 7.9L per 100km if better than the Caliber was getting, was able to get 200k bumper to bumper warranty as well.

here is what it looks like not my car though.
Attached Images

Old 12-22-2014, 08:25 PM   #53
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Um...Dodge was number 11 in the rankings for November 2014. http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2014/12...-rankings.html
Dodge was ahead of MB, VW, BMW etc .

FCA as a whole was #4

So evidently your point about "sales rankings" isn't valid
Actually Dodge is ranked 9th in sales YTD, which on its own home turf is embarrassing. Being outsold by Kia on American soil? Selling 1/3th the volume as Ford and Chevrolet is encouraging? Being outsold by Jeep? MB, BMW are luxury brands and don't compete with mainstream brands.

FCA is #4 behind both domestic brands and Toyota. Nothing to be proud of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post

Sure, see below. Find the segment where Dodge even cracks the top 3...Pay special attention to that asterisk after "Midsize Sporty Car".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Funny, my 01 Dakota with 260k miles and my 04 with 125k miles are both running great, but my 99 Silverado is sitting undrivable with a broken ignition and locked steering wheel, so much for reliability?
Thank you for sharing your anecdotal experience. It has nothing to do with the reliability ratings of current cars or the statistical power achieved by data points from thousands of owners.

Quote:

You said Dodge is junk, not me. I simply report the data.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:33 PM   #54
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Actually Dodge is ranked 9th in sales YTD, which on its own home turf is embarrassing. Being outsold by Kia on American soil? Selling 1/3th the volume as Ford and Chevrolet is encouraging? Being outsold by Jeep? MB, BMW are luxury brands and don't compete with mainstream brands.

FCA is #4 behind both domestic brands and Toyota. Nothing to be proud of.

Sure, see below. Find the segment where Dodge even cracks the top 3...Pay special attention to that asterisk after "Midsize Sporty Car".

Thank you for sharing your anecdotal experience. It has nothing to do with the reliability ratings of current cars or the statistical power achieved by data points from thousands of owners.

It still doesn't show the differences between the Camaro and the Challenger, it does have the Camaro as rated 1 but what type of margins are we looking at over the Challenger? I'd actually like to see the ZL1 vs the Hellcat in this category (factory SC cars) but we're a year away from getting any substantial data from the Hellcat side.
cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #55
rocket403

Quote:
I see you like to take what you want from posts and leave the rest.

Medisin only can process the stats that he finds in print he sees that Dodge is at the bottom of his list and so that is where the Challenger is as well (according to Medisin) NOT ME sorry don't want to be miss quoted as he will imply otherwise.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #56
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i hear the Hellcat is pure hell, no doubt, 707 hp. i personally am a GM person and probably always will be. I just like Camaros, even if both were put together, side by side, and camaro was slower and more expensive, i would still lean to the camaro. thats just me. great car, and i just grew up with GM, so guess thats loyalty.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote