Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #2689
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
If you're buying the Z06/Z07 for drag racing / roll racing, you're doing it wrong.
100% agree!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #2690
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
If you're buying the Z06/Z07 for drag racing / roll racing, you're doing it wrong.
Yeah but how many people buy a Z06/Z07 with the express purpose of road coursing it?

Most people just want the power and prestige, and drag racing is the most accessible form of auto racing.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:59 AM   #2691
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
Lol probably having a hard time finding a stock one!!!! But i do think the hellcat will edge it out. Between the gt500 and the hellcat it really puts a dark cloudbovverbthe camaro camp as far as outright accelleration is concerned. I'm tired of the vette holding it back. Clearly dodge doesn't care at all.
I just think Dodge is tired of Ford and Chevy taking all of the awards and bragging rights!
And I think that would need to feel the same way as Dodge do in order for them to take it to Hellcat ! But maybe Chevy won't need to feel that way!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #2692
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
Yeah but how many people buy a Z06/Z07 with the express purpose of road coursing it?

Most people just want the power and prestige, and drag racing is the most accessible form of auto racing.
Then why would you buy that specific car in the first place? You're buying a car that was made for a track to use for drag strips?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:09 AM   #2693
NASTY99Z28

Drives: 99z28 with bolt-ons and a mwc fab 9
Quote:
That's like saying if you buy a blower car for track days you're doing it wrong. Everyone know n/a cars are for tracks days abd blower cars ate fir drag racing. Clearly gm f'ed up big time by making a car that has a blower for the track yet gets rapped in a straight line. It can't go a full track session without getting to hot and it can't pull hard from a roll. Face it guys gm really made a few big mistakes with this car.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:22 AM   #2694
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASTY99Z28 View Post
That's like saying if you buy a blower car for track days you're doing it wrong. Everyone know n/a cars are for tracks days abd blower cars ate fir drag racing. Clearly gm f'ed up big time by making a car that has a blower for the track yet gets rapped in a straight line. It can't go a full track session without getting to hot and it can't pull hard from a roll. Face it guys gm really made a few big mistakes with this car.
You're right, the Z06 is a total fail around the track.

Oh wait, http://blog.caranddriver.com/watch-t...ional-raceway/

I agree an N/A set up is more suitable for prolonged track use, however that's not to say a FI set up cannot be used. Heck, I regularly track my ZL1 down here in Houston, one the track days ambient temps were 95*F. In stock form I may have had heat soak issues but with just minor things such as a heat exchanger and larger reservoir I do not have heat issues, IAT2 temps were within 120-128 range the entire time, spiking in the 140-145 region in the front straight but was back down in the 120's within 5-10 seconds. During my 30 minute sessions my lap times did not have much variance (on clean laps) so I can conclude that my power wasn't being robbed by heat soak.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #2695
LostPony

Drives: 2012 Boss 302
Just a few FI road race cars….

I guess they all did it wrong too….

2012 Kona Boss 302 #2758
LostPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #2696
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q'smuscle View Post
I just think Dodge is tired of Ford and Chevy taking all of the awards and bragging rights!
All the hoopla regarding the "new" Charger and Challenger masks the fact that FCA is stuck with this overweight platform dinosaur (DYNO-SOAR!) for several more years, while Ford and Chev have fresher, newer answers. Taking old cars and somehow making them more marketable is their ONLY current option, and stuffing them full of good ol' American Horsepower (installed in Canada) has certainly garnered MORE than their fair share of attention. Better living through electronics.

Again, to equate these cars with more state of the art efforts from others, and to maintain this dizzying level of interest, is only possible with the internet, in an apples-oranges-pears comparo. Good work!
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #2697
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Considering there are currently 7,000 orders for Hellcats (both Challenger and Charger form)...I don't think FCA has made an error.

BTW, the Zeta foundation for the Camaro is no spring chicken either, and the much hailed Alpha platform Camaro has not yet made its debut in any way. The only new platform car that has been validated so far is the Mustang, and was designed from the ground up FOR the Mustang. Alpha has been saddled with having to have capability to underpin multiple cars with scaling, and thus already is a compromised platform.

How will it do? Who knows.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:05 PM   #2698
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Considering there are currently 7,000 orders for Hellcats (both Challenger and Charger form)...I don't think FCA has made an error.
The Z06 had over 5,000 preorders by October 2014 (at a significantly higher price point). Despite the "refresh", overall Challenger sales have stagnated at the same levels they were in 2013. Charger sales are down 5,000 units from 2013. Viper sales are abysmal at 760 total for 2014. Z06 has 5,000 preorders by October while the Viper has 760 sales ALL YEAR with a $15,000 price reduction??

Quote:
BTW, the Zeta foundation for the Camaro is no spring chicken either, and the much hailed Alpha platform Camaro has not yet made its debut in any way. The only new platform car that has been validated so far is the Mustang, and was designed from the ground up FOR the Mustang. Alpha has been saddled with having to have capability to underpin multiple cars with scaling, and thus already is a compromised platform.
And that "old" Zeta platform still outsells the Challenger nearly 2:1. Alpha is even more advanced and scaleable. Mustang on a new platform for 2015, Camaro for 2016. When is the next Challenger platform arriving?? Like Joe said, the LX platform is ancient by today's standards. The sales gap is only going to grow larger until FCA replaces it.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #2699
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
People buying the Challenger and Charger know it is a bigger platform and like that, so your saying it like that is not a selling point. If I wanted a smaller car I would have got the Camaro or Mustang.
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #2700
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

The Z06 manual beat the Hellcat automatic in the 1/4 and will certainly embarrass it on any road course. The Hellcat's strong suit appears to be roll racing to 170 mph. Where exactly is that done?
Street tires
11.77 @ 127.05 mph (2.06 60′) – C7 Z06 “robe38″ Manual
12.11 @ 126.30 mph (2.17 60′) – Challenger Hellcat “Jerrod T” Auto

Drag radials
10.93 @ 128.94 (1.77 60′) – C7 Z06 “robe38″ Manual
Hellcat M.I.A.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #2701
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Quote:

How will it do? Who knows.
S550 will also underpin at least a Lincoln variant. You'll recall when, in late-'10, a significant redesign of the chassis took place...AFTER Farley deemed it necessary to have broader use and to help him with his then-new task of "saving" Lincoln. The "changes" that forced Pericak to eat his "gonna lose at least 200 lb." words.

How did THAT turn out?

Pot - Kettle - Black

Stop paraphrasing the jagged one's nonsensical rants and rationale. You're better than that. Or should be...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #2702
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
People buying the Challenger and Charger know it is a bigger platform and like that, so your saying it like that is not a selling point. If I wanted a smaller car I would have got the Camaro or Mustang.
You mean the dead-stock Challenger you bought when you went looking for a pickup?

Tags
dodge, hellcat, horsepower, srt