Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Brembo Calipers Re-Installed. Fronts Won't Fill Up!

I removed all 4 of my Brembos and have rebuilt them.

Just finished re-installing them all. The rears filled up nice and quickly with lots of fluid coming out the lines as I was re-fitting the brake lines.

The front calipers are not filling up. There's very little fluid coming down the lines. Almost like the front lines have run dry??

Is it just a matter of waiting and the fronts will eventually fill up? If so, then how long can this take?

Do I just go ahead and perform the brake bleed by pumping the pedal? Or am I hooped?

Thanks!
Tom
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
447 HP @ 6180 RPM / 418 TQ @ 5100 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #2
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
did you check the reservoir on the master cylinder?

If it went dry, you'd need to bench bleed it.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Avalnch

I used nuts & bolts along with the brass washers to plug the brake hose ends while the calipers were off. The reservoir did not drop much at all.
Vengeance Kaotik Cam, C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter+2012LS3VERT bushing, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter. Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms, Pegasus Solid Subframe. Pedders ZL1 barz, radius arm & steering rack bushings. BMR adjustable toe-rods. Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace. ZL1 GMPP Driveline Upgrade. TurnOne P/S pump. CTS-V 6 pistons.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #4
Synner

Drives: cars
Did you fill the calipers? I fully remove the bleeders and fill them up first and burp the pistons to get all the air out. Without some form of bench bleeding them it will be tough to get started and/or take forever.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #5
Assassinx1

Drives: Corvettec5
Also are the bleeders on the top?
Assassinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #6
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Status?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:51 AM   #7
Assassinx1

Drives: Corvettec5
Make sure you didn't accidentally put two washers on the caliper side. It will block fluid flow.
Assassinx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
Avalnch

Had some brake line issues that have been sorted out now.

Talked to the tech at my dealership and he said to just bleed them regularly with the calipers on. No need to bench fill.

Will be doing the bleed today and keep you posted.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
use a rubber mallet and tap caliper to get trapped air bubbles to move up to the bleeder
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #10
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
in my opinion i think you should have just put them back on the car and did a standard bleed. It may take a little longer than usual but thats to be expected after you drained all the fluid.
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
Avalnch

SUCCESS! Got the calipers bled!

I was apprehensive about pumping the brake pedal with an empty, front left, caliper (afraid of drawing air INTO the system). But after talking to a senior service tech at the dealership and my Chump Race Car friends, went ahead and bled them with the calipers installed as the dealership instructed.

My friend told me to use the following method. Requires a second person, preferably someone who's not 14 years old and complains a lot (just kidding, my son did a great job).

1. Open the (inboard) bleeder valve.
2. Steadily press the brake pedal all the way to the floor just once and hold.
3. Close the bleeder valve.
4. Release the pedal.
5. Repeat 1-4 until all air bubbles and old fluid are gone.
6. Move onto the next bleeder/caliper.

By opening the valve first and then pressing down the pedal all the way, you don't have to cycle (pump) the brakes to build up pressure. Previously, I had my son pump the pedal 3-4 times with the bleeder closed, hold the pedal, open and then close the bleeder.

The above method also greatly reduces the time to bleed the brakes cause you're not pumping the pedal 3-4 times before each bleed. Also, my friend believes that pumping the brake pedal will actually generate micro bubbles which makes sense cause you're more or less agitating the fluid when pumping the pedal.

Works like a charm.

I started with the (empty) front left caliper. The first depress of the pedal was completely nothing. "Oh Sh*t", I thought. But the next pedal press was old fluid and then everything back to normal. Three bottles of RBF 600 later, everything done and the brakes are nice and firm.

Thanks for everyone's answers and questions.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:03 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I got tired of my 14 year son whining....

This works great:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #13
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I got tired of my 14 year son whining....

This works great:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/
Thanks.

That was what I was considering. However, since I found out that it wouldn't hurt to bleed them manually, I went ahead and did it.

Besides, the kid needs to know how to look after the car if he wants to drive it when he turns 16.