Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-11-2015, 04:55 PM   #85
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I'm selling tinfoil caps for the roof antennas if anyone's interested.
oh! The OnStar blocker...you could be on to something there
Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #86
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
[/B]
I only make the point that it is technologically possible and that they could do so if they chose to.

Again, it is technologically possible - though I doubt they would just call your insurance company out of the blue.

lots of crazy things are possible I guess, I try to only worry about the ones that are plausible or even likely. Like I said, when there's even a shred of evidence that Onstar has or plans to do any of that, I'd love to see it. But until then its just tinfoil hat paranoia.

Car accidents and thefts however are a real thing that happens to people, even people who think it won't happen to them. That's not fear mongering, its just a fact of life.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #87
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
It's on both sides, then. Overstressing the unexpected in a manner that leads people to believe it's more likely to happen than is actually the case certainly does constitute fear mongering.

The possibility that your data could be misused is unfortunately a real fear these days. How extensively it could be used to hurt you is a separate question that I'm not going to get into a discussion over.

Suppose I had a car with OnStar - I do believe it can now be added to a few other makes - and my insurance company decided to call OnStar on their own initiative. Now what?

I could get up from my computer, step outside my front door, and be struck dead by lightning. Must I have a nanny for that as well?

Norm

Probably the same thing that would happen if my health insurance company called McDonalds and asked how many cheeseburgers I've eaten this year. They'd get laughed at.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #88
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Wow, lots of big brother fearing tinfoil hats in this thread.

How many here have a cell phone?

Guess what- you can be tracked. They don't need OnStar.

In order for a cell phone to work now, it must have GPS. This was a requirement for 911 calls.

Even before, it was done through triangulation.

https://www.aclu.org/how-government-...your-movements

There are many other ways to be tracked, so OnStar is not the devil.

BTW, I have OnStar and XM radio subscriptions simply because I do not like a non functioning feature.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #89
Chevy_cowboy

If GM's whole goal with Onstar was to track their customers every move and driving habit for sinister means, beit selling the info the insurance companies or reporting illegal behavior to law enforcement or just blackmailing you or whatever... why not make it a secret addition to the car? Why would they advertise the system on every commercial and brochure? That's terrible spy work

And after 20 years of doing it, you'd think there'd be some sort of evidence of this sinister program. Like you know, every time I speed a cop shows up, or somehow my insurance company knows about that time I rolled through the redlight when there was no one around.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:25 PM   #90
Mongo RS

Drives: 2010 2LT M6 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
If GM's whole goal with Onstar was to track their customers every move and driving habit for sinister means, beit selling the info the insurance companies or reporting illegal behavior to law enforcement or just blackmailing you or whatever... why not make it a secret addition to the car? Why would they advertise the system on every commercial and brochure? That's terrible spy work

And after 20 years of doing it, you'd think there'd be some sort of evidence of this sinister program. Like you know, every time I speed a cop shows up, or somehow my insurance company knows about that time I rolled through the redlight when there was no one around.
For that matter, if this is GM's mindset, why would they sell a car that is capable of breaking speed limits?

Old 02-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #91
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo RS View Post
For that matter, if this is GM's mindset, why would they sell a car that is capable of breaking speed limits?

to entrap us and make all their loyal customers lose their license so they can't drive anymore....

oh wait
Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM   #92
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumminxx View Post
oh! The OnStar blocker...you could be on to something there
And it doubles as an alien penis implant discombobulator!
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 PM   #93
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
And it doubles as an alien penis implant discombobulator!
oh....kay....
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 AM   #94
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Oh my......... you'll are killing me!!! My point was that if you don't make an effort you might as well just "bend over"!!! Going to call again today and decide. That's why they give you onstar and SiriusXM.... once you have it hard to give it up..... we all know that!!!!
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #95
Cam_Cam

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS
By the way, it's not really a "card" for me to play that I work for GM IT. I don't work directly for Onstar, but I've dealt with enough private data to know that data privacy is a HUGE priority for GM. We have one of the most sophisticated Data Centers in the entire world, rivaling that of Google. I can promise you that our customers data security is a TOP priority for the company.

And as far as Onstar data tracking goes, they're going to start using that data to predict break downs BEFORE they occur so you don't end up stuck on the side of a road somewhere. This will also help to diagnosis issues that may require recalls so we don't end up in a similar situation to 2014.
Cam_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:38 PM   #96
B73

Drives: 2013 2ss rs 1le in Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
Probably the same thing that would happen if my health insurance company called McDonalds and asked how many cheeseburgers I've eaten this year. They'd get laughed at.
best response I think I've ever read
B73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #97
Chevy_cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Already done.

If I have a complete physical once a year and meet their specs I have a $250 deductible. Otherwise it's a grand.

how is that remotely similar to paying a 3rd party company to spy on you?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #98
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam_Cam View Post
And as far as Onstar data tracking goes, they're going to start using that data to predict break downs BEFORE they occur so you don't end up stuck on the side of a road somewhere. This will also help to diagnosis issues that may require recalls so we don't end up in a similar situation to 2014.
I assume that this means that an extensive amount of data would be collected, in order to work up a valid estimate of remaining component life. Would that exact same data be readily available to car owners, say, in a dispute with the dealership over whether "abuse" was a factor in some failure?

If it's going to predict things I might already be aware of having finite life - brake pads, for instance - would I then be pestered with all manner of reminders to get them looked at when it's something I'd be aware of and prepared to do myself?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote