Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #15
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
This is very easy, just add a switch to it, basically whenever you click the switch 12v will go to the camera turning it on, it's the same thing that happens when it goes into reverse.
Does that just work for the display in the rearview mirror, or will that also work for the mylink display?
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Does that just work for the display in the rearview mirror, or will that also work for the mylink display?
Not sure about the Mirror but that will definitely NOT work with Mylink.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #17
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
On this subject can a factory back-up Camera work on 2011 rs/ss and who can supply other then dealer?
Yanko style side strips,BBK Long Tube headers no cats,Maggie 2300,Ported trottle body,58 lb injectors,Pedder's sub frame bushings,QTE cut outs,Corsa Performance Ex., Volant Cold Air Kit,catch can, SLP 20" Red Line Wheels, Raymond's Performance Tune
RAYMOND'S PERFORMANCE BUILT. Plainfield Indiana.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:18 AM   #18
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsaterz28 View Post
On this subject can a factory back-up Camera work on 2011 rs/ss and who can supply other then dealer?
It could work depends on what you have? Do you have a Mylink radio? If not then you can get the camera and mirror kit from GEN5DIY
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 AM   #19

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Yes it can be done, I added a front camera to mine and it displays on My Mylink any time I want it to. You just have to add a relay and find the reverse trigger wire.
Hi can you please tell us what parts are needed , I have a 2013 with the fact mylink, which has the rear cam . I would like to have a front camera displaying through the fact mylink when parking .... damm tall curbs
3400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #20
HeLLDaFieL

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 2SS
From what I could understand from this video, in theory should work with mylink.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Don't you use your rear view mirror at times when you are going forward? Why should the camera be any different?

I'd like to be able to use it whenever I want as well.
When you're going forward there shouldn't be anybody that close to your rear bumper, nor should you need a camera to know that when you can't see the bumper on the following car in your inside mirror that he's too close. If somebody actually is that close while you're moving, does it really matter whether they're within 6 inches or all the way out around 6 feet back? Suppose you know exactly how far back he is instead of just "he's too damn close" - what exactly would you do differently?

Seems more like a needless distraction to me, or, more information than you need possibly getting in the way of more urgent business - like seeing the car in front of you (in traffic) suddenly slow down. I realize OP's situation, but his primary responsibility is to stay out of the car ahead of him. It's on the guy behind him to do likewise.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #22
nivensid

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3400 View Post
Hi can you please tell us what parts are needed , I have a 2013 with the fact mylink, which has the rear cam . I would like to have a front camera displaying through the fact mylink when parking .... damm tall curbs
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360514

Check this out, I just finished installing front camera on my 2010. I have the 2013 mylink installed with the back up camera so adding the front camera is not that hard. Rainbow1616 was a big help when I had many questions. My biggest problem was finding the time to do the install and over thinking the process trying to make it more difficult. Follow the post above and I along with others will offer info if needed.
Here is a pic of front camera on mylink, still wiring at the time so wires are not cleaned up at the time.
Attached Images

nivensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:28 AM   #23
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
When you're going forward there shouldn't be anybody that close to your rear bumper, nor should you need a camera to know that when you can't see the bumper on the following car in your inside mirror that he's too close. If somebody actually is that close while you're moving, does it really matter whether they're within 6 inches or all the way out around 6 feet back? Suppose you know exactly how far back he is instead of just "he's too damn close" - what exactly would you do differently?

Seems more like a needless distraction to me, or, more information than you need possibly getting in the way of more urgent business - like seeing the car in front of you (in traffic) suddenly slow down. I realize OP's situation, but his primary responsibility is to stay out of the car ahead of him. It's on the guy behind him to do likewise.

Norm

Your opinion is duly noted - however, not the subject of the post. I am curious if it can be done, for MY sake (and anyone else who WANTS it done) not those that dont care to have it done.... Do I like everything about YOUR car / life? probably not - do I voice my opinion upon you? NO, I don't. If it doesn't affect me, I could care less. Thanks, but no thanks for the negativity....:
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:32 AM   #24
kmarshall2121

Dont forget, I dont have MYlink in my car, camera monitor is in mirror... I encourage all response so all are covered, but would still like to know more about the mirror situation. - color of wire? location? etc.... any advise appreciated... thanks!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #25
kmarshall2121

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivensid View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=360514

Check this out, I just finished installing front camera on my 2010. I have the 2013 mylink installed with the back up camera so adding the front camera is not that hard. Rainbow1616 was a big help when I had many questions. My biggest problem was finding the time to do the install and over thinking the process trying to make it more difficult. Follow the post above and I along with others will offer info if needed.
Here is a pic of front camera on mylink, still wiring at the time so wires are not cleaned up at the time.

Thats pretty damn cool. couple questions... is it on all the time? Do you have back up camera? if so, how do you switch between the two? oh, and i like the birdsnest of wires in the passenger area - is that extra $$?? haha
Old 02-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #26
nivensid

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Thats pretty damn cool. couple questions... is it on all the time? Do you have back up camera? if so, how do you switch between the two? oh, and i like the birdsnest of wires in the passenger area - is that extra $$?? haha
No its not on all the time, controlled with wireless remote, can switch on front or rear camera at any time needed with press of a button. Other times the radio or nav is displayed as normal. The rear camera still comes on in reverse as normal also. The "birdnest" of wires had been taken care of as I stated earlier. Looks factory and no wires are showing now.
nivensid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #27
Bweeks47

Drives: Chevy camaro
Looking to find a radio deck and radio.

Any ideas? And I'm also wondering if I get a back up camera added to the mount would I lose my back up senser?

2011 Camaro
Bweeks47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #28
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
Your opinion is duly noted - however, not the subject of the post. I am curious if it can be done, for MY sake (and anyone else who WANTS it done) not those that dont care to have it done.... Do I like everything about YOUR car / life? probably not - do I voice my opinion upon you? NO, I don't. If it doesn't affect me, I could care less. Thanks, but no thanks for the negativity....:
I read every word before I posted and was providing cautionary input.

If I'm in front of you (particularly in stop-and-go traffic), I want your eyes looking my way, not in some other direction at a rear view monitor because you have a suddenly increased worry about the guy behind you. I wouldn't ever throw a "brake check" at you, and I'll honestly try to give you as much room as I can if I do need to get on my brakes hard, but don't count on being able to out-brake me to make up for the extra time it'll take you to realize what's happening.

I'll give you that the mirror location you're talking about is better than buried down in the dash like where the monitor for my daughter's backup camera lives.

Today's infatuation with high-tech "solutions" needs to be balanced with better investigation of possible downsides, because any "fix" really can end up being worse overall than the original problem. If you feel that's somehow negative, well, I can live with that.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote