Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
GM Paint Codes & Color Names

I went to a dealer yesterday to get some touch-up paint for tiny chip on the edge of the door. I looked up the paint code for Red Rock Metallic and it was WA237L. The dealer had nothing in the database about that color code or the color name. When he looked up the VIN number it came up as a different paint code, WA138X, and he called it Tin Roof Rusted. Of course they didn't have it and the touch up "kit" as he called it had to be ordered for $22.

Now, I don't care if they call it sky blue pink as long as it matches and I realize GM probably uses different names for the same color on different makes of cars. I did think it was a little odd, though, that a Chevy dealer wouldn't at least show Red Rock Metallic as a color. The other thing I thought was a little odd was that they would use the term "Rusted" in a paint color. That's not really a term I'd use with anything associated with a car.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #2
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
I need the same color. Have you checked aftermarket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #3
Backspin9

Drives: The red one
There are aftermarket touch-up paints that you can get that use the WA237L paint code, and those cost a little less. I wanted to get the GM kit and just went with what they recommended. Hopefully it is the right match.
Backspin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
HmBuilder2

Drives: 2014 RRM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspin9 View Post
There are aftermarket touch-up paints that you can get that use the WA237L paint code, and those cost a little less. I wanted to get the GM kit and just went with what they recommended. Hopefully it is the right match.
What your dealer ordered is the right match.
I have RRM Camaro also and I too needed touch up paint, I ordered it from dealer and in there system it was called Tin roof something.
But it matches perfectly, So you'll be fine.
HmBuilder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
GM uses different names for the same color. When I bought my car, I noticed on the paperwork the color was "Pull Me Over Red" and the salesman and I laughed about it. When I needed a bottle of touch up paint, it is "Red Hot"... same paint code, two different names. Same paint.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #6
SSeniorMoment

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 A6 IOM
So I suppose Inferno Orange Metallic would be Go To Hell.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
I ran into this about two weeks ago as well.....but at the time I didn't have my car with me noir did I know my VIN (I had only had it a few weeks at that point). I KNEW what the name of the color was, and had found a post with the color code.....but when the guy at the parts counter pulled it up in the box, it was a totally different name, as you guys have found. He showed me the paint code and it was the one I had seen, but it put doubt in my mind that I was getting something that wouldn't match.....he had told me that he had seen this before that the color code didn't match the name of the color. Si when I got home I called him up with my VIN and he verified it was correct.....so I picked it up a few days later when I was going by. just remember, the VIN don't lie when it comes to things like that.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:32 PM   #8
bandit38

Drives: Camaro SS - Trans Am - Silverado
I can confirm you got the right paint color too....I needed some a few months back and Tin Roof Rusted IS Red Rock Metallic.....I was told Tin Roof Rusted was the engineering name for it last year by Fbodyfather.

It matched perfect on mine when I used it !
Old 03-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #9
The Patriot

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
GM uses different names for the same color. When I bought my car, I noticed on the paperwork the color was "Pull Me Over Red" and the salesman and I laughed about it. When I needed a bottle of touch up paint, it is "Red Hot"... same paint code, two different names. Same paint.

That's funny, I had my Vette in for some paint work once and they listed the color as "Arrest Me Red".

"Today I didn't even have to use my AK, I got ta' say it was a good day"
The Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:13 PM   #10
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
Appears that the WA138X or G7P was called Tin Roof Rusted for the 2014 and is Red Rock for 2015. Same paint code.
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #11
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLocalDJ View Post
Appears that the WA138X or G7P was called Tin Roof Rusted for the 2014 and is Red Rock for 2015. Same paint code.
The word "Rusted" associated with cars is "not good publicity". So it was changed.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
Pete G

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE
I have red rock also and I think it is so silly that a Chevy parts system would never had heard of the name of the color that is printed on the window sticker.
Pete G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #13
davepnw

Drives: 2010 2LT, switchblade silver
This is all true. Mine is "switchblade silver" AKA "Silver ice metallic". I was told by a troll on this forum that it had to be a repaint. My signature says it all.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:38 PM   #14
prod

Drives: HHR
From UrbanDictionary.com :
Quote:
tin roof rusted
This word means that a girl is pregnent, and is usually used when it's a mistake.
Shaina's tin roof got rusted .
OR
"You're what?"
"Tiiiiin roof, rusted." -Line from Love Shack by the B52'S
prod is offline   Reply With Quote