Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 03-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Mityguy

Drives: 2018 Hyperblue Camaro 1SS/1LE
I know nothing about this stuff.

I want to be faster. I don't want to buy a new car or do anything with a new motor; so I want a Turbo/twin Turbo or a supercharger.

Where do I begin? I will need to start saving so I can't be going out and buying things now but I want to start pricing things out.

I have a Manual Transmission if that helps. I have less than 20000 miles. Also, I'm in a LS.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer!
Mityguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:38 PM   #2
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
The two top kits that people on this site use are the Fab. Twin Turb's and IPF super. You can't go wrong with either setup, both are good with power and reliability. Once you commit to buying a kit, the only essential part to buy for the manual to be reliable is an upgraded clutch, the manual FI users on here can chip in on which clutch to buy. Brakes and suspension upgrades would come next but not essential if your just driving it on the street...
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #3
Mityguy

How much am I looking to spend on the Clutch and the Super Kit, a super charger turns me on more than a Turbo. Also if I got forward with this how much maintenance am I going to be doing after the install?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
ramahl

Drives: 2014 camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mityguy View Post
How much am I looking to spend on the Clutch and the Super Kit, a super charger turns me on more than a Turbo. Also if I got forward with this how much maintenance am I going to be doing after the install?
i also have a 2014 LS. i went with the IPF supercharger. haven't had a chance to put it on yet because of the weather but its looks as if the snow is gone for good now so it shouldn't be long. the kit is pretty solid though, everything you need.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramahl View Post
i also have a 2014 LS. i went with the IPF supercharger. haven't had a chance to put it on yet because of the weather but its looks as if the snow is gone for good now so it shouldn't be long. the kit is pretty solid though, everything you need.
Awesome, quality kit with great performance results.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:22 PM   #6
Mityguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
Awesome, quality kit with great performance results.
How much did you spend and who did you order from? Also I'd like to do my own labor; I'm a young guy and I like a little adventure but is the labor going to be tough I have a garage full of tools but that may or not be the right tools.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
How much did you spend and who did you order from? Also I'd like to do my own labor; I'm a young guy and I like a little adventure but is the labor going to be tough I have a garage full of tools but that may or not be the right tools.
I was 19 when I did the install and was pretty straight forward. It helps to reread the directions a few times. I got my kit in a group in august of '13 for 5600 shipped directly from IPF.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
Black Market Racing

Drives: Yours
IPF is a great kit for the V6's! Unfortunately the pricing has gone up a little bit since Lil nasty bought his, but not by much. They sell for just under $6,000. If you have any other questions on the kit, I would be happy to help you out.

Ralph
Black Market Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291319

look at this thread, this car was all in, started as a base LS car too, manual trans.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:39 PM   #10
Mityguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Market Racing View Post
IPF is a great kit for the V6's! Unfortunately the pricing has gone up a little bit since Lil nasty bought his, but not by much. They sell for just under $6,000. If you have any other questions on the kit, I would be happy to help you out.

Ralph
I gotta start saving some money but in a few months I should be able to afford something like that! Just wondering what kind of numbers am I going to be making after the install? According to Chevrolet I'm making 323HP now at the crank.

Do you think I could possibly find one used for a better price? Or should I stear clear of used?
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM   #11
Black Market Racing

There is maintenance thats involved with a supercharger, so normally i would say steer clear of the used systems. Not only that, there are a lot of small parts that come with the kit, like fittings and things like that, that might have gotten lost after it was taken off. Unless you found a kit for THOUSANDS less, i would say just buy new. Its better, and you get a warranty.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
Mityguy

My Camaro is my Daily Driver, after this install will it be harder to drive it around daily and from place to place aside from the decrease in gas mileage?
Old 03-30-2015, 04:21 PM   #13
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
Quote:
My Camaro is my Daily Driver, after this install will it be harder to drive it around daily and from place to place aside from the decrease in gas mileage?
Mityguy, your car will run like stock with the IPF kit until you smash the gas. Your gas mileage won't change much if you just cruise around. If you already service your car at the normal intervals, the only additional maintanence is changing the supercharger oil every ~2500 miles. Otherwise nothing else needs to be done, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the extra power! (Also I daily drove my DIY turbo kit for over 60k miles with very little required maintanence and its crap in quality compared to the IPF kit, our motors are strong so no worries!)
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:23 PM   #14
Black Market Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_killa View Post
Mityguy, your car will run like stock with the IPF kit until you smash the gas. Your gas mileage won't change much if you just cruise around. If you already service your car at the normal intervals, the only additional maintanence is changing the supercharger oil every ~2500 miles. Otherwise nothing else needs to be done, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the extra power! (Also I daily drove my DIY turbo kit for over 60k miles with very little required maintanence and its crap in quality compared to the IPF kit, our motors are strong so no worries!)
^^this