Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

View Poll Results: Would you drive your ZL1 in 44* temps?
Yes 16 61.54%
No 8 30.77%
I'm a Prick and think you're stupid. 2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2015, 06:05 AM   #15
jonseyss

Drives: 2013 ZL1--Mods...who needs 'em
I was not going too fast, maybe 5 mph over the posted speed limit, hard to believe I know. However the tires were outside in the cold at the dealers lot just before I picked it up. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried to bring suit against Good year for selling these tires. Thanks for the sympathies but it's not needed. I've grieved over the car and now I'm over it. So what's too cold for these tires? 40? 45? 50?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
What is that supposed to mean smart guy?

The guy wrecked his car because the temps were too cold for the tires and with this in mind, he was going too fast for the conditions (both the road and his vehicles ability). Blaming the tires is just an excuse and I have very little sympathy for it seeing how this is the 50th thread about the tires being dangerous in the cold. (Obviously)
jonseyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 06:07 AM   #16
jonseyss

Drives: 2013 ZL1--Mods...who needs 'em
Thanks for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G7C ZL1 View Post
I drove a newly purchased ZL1 from Tulsa, OK to Los Angeles, CA in late December 2014. The temps hovered in the 20F-40F range the whole time. With some sleet/snow in northern TX on the I-40. My wife was in the passenger seat, and my 2 year old son was in a car seat in the back. I was driving normally, was texting and speeding with the stock Goodyear tires and managed to keep the car on the road for all 1800 or so miles.
jonseyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #17
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonseyss View Post
I was not going too fast, maybe 5 mph over the posted speed limit, hard to believe I know. However the tires were outside in the cold at the dealers lot just before I picked it up. I'm curious to see if anyone has tried to bring suit against Good year for selling these tires. Thanks for the sympathies but it's not needed. I've grieved over the car and now I'm over it. So what's too cold for these tires? 40? 45? 50?
It clearly states in the owners manual about the tires and temps. The stock tires are summer tires and are strongly recommended not to use in cold temps. Heck, GM shuts down production of the ZL1 in winter (which is manufactured in Canada) because of the cold temps and what it does to the tires.

The fact that you did not know this or chose to ignore this warning does not mean you can sue (and win) against a company because of your ignorance.

Sorry you wrecked your car, but the ZL1 ain't a Prius or Honda. It is a performance machine and you would do well to respect it as such.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #18
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Not sure if this is your first experience with a high performance rated track capable tire. But you need to know the car they are on to determine their and your limits. With a car at 4200's you bet you can easily slide the car around a corner or freeway ramp. Stopping is drastically reduced if you are making aggressive stop's. And i am sure you know that if you hit the gas in 40degrees, the back isnt going to sit still, even worse if you are making a turn. I use caution anytime the temps fall below 60 degrees and still have plenty of respect below 72 and below until they are warmed up.

I am not going to slam you because I dont know your background, but the issue has been around on every BMW, Lexus, Benz, and any high performance rated sedan or sport vehicle who the manufacturer determines to match the cars capabilities with a performance tire. If you think you have a case you will be standing in a long line of BImmers, Lexus, and Benz's that I have seen pulled off the tow truck damaged the first month by owners for the very same reason. You stated 5 mph over the speed limit and that means nothing not knowing what you were doing with the car, the type of road conditions. Sorry about the car, but the bright side you are ok..

Last edited by ZMEnow; 04-09-2015 at 01:05 PM.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #19
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
The tires are not supposed to be driven on below 40 degrees and not stored below 20 degrees. People keep saying they drive carefully below 40 degrees, it's not just you but what about other drivers or what if a kid runs out in front of you? You have to be able to stop and below 40 degrees you are driving hockey pucks on ice. I don't know why people chance this. Not to mention the possible legal implications, if you violated the warning and someone sued you could be liable. Not worth it in my opinion.

Last edited by Sven59; 04-09-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #20
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by G7C ZL1 View Post
I drove a newly purchased ZL1 from Tulsa, OK to Los Angeles, CA in late December 2014. The temps hovered in the 20F-40F range the whole time. With some sleet/snow in northern TX on the I-40. My wife was in the passenger seat, and my 2 year old son was in a car seat in the back. I was driving normally, was texting and speeding with the stock Goodyear tires and managed to keep the car on the road for all 1800 or so miles.
I wouldn't go too fast on those tires. If driven at 20F they are now junk.

Michelin makes some nice all season tires.

For summer only tires that have a cold weather warning...it's not just for lack of traction, it destroys the foundation of the tires. Sometimes with visible exterior crack, sometimes not visible. But it's toast. Natural rubber used in performance tires won't flex below certain temps, it cracks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:46 PM   #21
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I have driven for a couple of years in temps below 40F with the OEM Goodyear F1's and I respected what its limitations in that temp would offer but it is usually not below that temp that often around here. Gotta love the mild winters in the lower coastal region of the southeast.

I installed PSS this past winter and they are much more forgiving in low temps but also in rainy condition but I will be using the F1's during track days after trying the PSS during a recent 2 day track event.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:58 PM   #22
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
You wrecked because the tires could not handle the conditions. That IS going too fast according to the law and is solely your fault, not to mention 5 over is speeding... Just saying.

Man up. Your wreck is not Goodyear's fault...

I drove 900 miles at or mostly below the speed limit in 40 degrees and rain. Not one time was the car out of control or dangerous even though the tire warning (from the manufacturer and GM) warned against this.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #23
Chrispy
11.91 ET Bone stock

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
The third option cracked me up so I had to select it

(I don't think you're stupid and I don't consider myself a prick)

I've driven in those temps but I store my car in a heated garage so the tires are already warmer when I start and they seem to warm up faster / retain heat more.

If I parked outside I'd be way more careful. That said I just cruise when it's that cold, no spirited driving.
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote