Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
NotYetLegend

Drives: 2012 1SS/RS
Help with Pfadt Camber Plate Install on 2012 SS

Detailed Question below, basic question: Do I use the 2012 oem spring isolator in the new stack or just the Pfadt-supplied metal spring perch? Stack-height seems way taller than oem setup with the isolator in place.

Hey guys, I am installing Pfadt camber plates on a 2012 SS with the oem springs/dampers (the pfadts came with the appropriate spring perch for the oem spring). The instructions mention a rubber "spring isolater" here,
QUOTE:

Remove the upper spring perch assembly from the strut. Pull the rubber spring isolator from the factory upper perch assembly for use on the Pfadt Camber Kit spring perch.

The install instructions are dated 5/13/2011 so probably do not address the changes to the 2012 spring isolater situation? As best as I can tell they are talking about the yellow rubber piece that is in direct contact with the upper seat of the spring (in the oem setup), I had to pry it out of the rubber mount assembly with a screw driver:

This part does seem to fit perfectly with the Pfadt-supplied upper spring perch:

But it does make the "stack height" seem very tall compared to the oem setup, and I did crank down a lot more on the spring compressors than I had to to get the stock stuff apart... Here it is w/o the isolater:

In this case the stack height still seems taller than the oem setup but it is close. Here it all is w/ the oem isolater back in place:

You can see how little thread of the damper shaft is showing (it is only snug, not torqued).

Any suggestions on what to do? Live with the metal-on-metal contact of leaving the isolater out? or try to get the whole thing to go together with the isolater?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I am not 100% on this, but I believe it was designed to be a stand alone part.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
NotYetLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I am not 100% on this, but I believe it was designed to be a stand alone part.
Well I think you're correct Pete, here is one side installed w/o the rubber isolater and it's pretty clear that there is no damn space left on the damper shaft to include it. THanks for your suggestion/help!

Old 06-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
NotYetLegend

Just wanted to give a quick update now that the install is complete and everything seems to be working properly.

You DO NOT use the yellow/orange rubber isolator I provided pictures of in the original post. Also, you DO have to remove some metal from the hood strut anchor plate to get the passenger side top plate to sit flush, I did this easily with a dremel but I'm sure some people would consider this a no-go for their own vehicle if metal trimming is required. Here are a few pics:

In the image above you can see the right side of the top plate is being lifted up because some of the strut anchor/hinge thing is under the plate.

Above is just after I got the first piece of metal removed (being very careful not to cut into the actual strut tower material. This wasn't enough to get a perfect fit so I cleaned it up a bit more and trimmed a little by little until the fitment was spot on.

And finally here it is sitting correctly. All the white dust crap is from the cutting and was easy to remove with a damp shop towel. It's not the most beautiful metal work... but it works and the strut anchor plate still works perfectly.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Nice write up!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote