Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 AM   #1
Guelphguy

Drives: 2013 - 2SS Vert
Not another brake squeal thread??!?

Hi All, have a problem that is really driving me nuts.
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS L99/A6 - about 30,000 miles

To me it sounds like brake squeal, BUT I have a very random high pitch squeal that seems to only be heard when lightly cruising down a driveway or slowly on a busy street. When I drive at a constant speed. Brakes not applied, just moving slowly. If I hit the brakes it goes away, if I change speed it goes away.....doesn't happen all the time. Seems to occur more after a drive and the car is warm.
Sometimes I don't hear it for days and then sometimes when pulling into my lane, cruising slowly to garage, there it is.
It's been happening for months, and I can't replicate it all the time.

Any ideas? Guaranteed if I take it to the dealer, I'll get the "can't replicate" response.

Has anyone ever experienced what sounds like a brake squeal under almost what I would consider a slow idle speed?

Thanks in advance for any advise!
Guelphguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
moE_09

Drives: 2014 v6
Yess! This happens to me all the time. I can just be roomy and not have any brakes or gas applied. It seems to be coming with the spinning of the tire. Idk what it could be
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Guelphguy

Well, I am glad to know I am not the only one at least! There must be others?
Old 07-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Brake pad wear indicators may be rubbing. You'll usually hear them driving slower speeds, on a lot of cars I've noticed it's louder in reverse but either way you can just take a look at the pads through the wheels as long as you've got big spokes. Or it could just be the OE pads themselves which suck imo

If you take it to a dealer demand to go on a test drive with a shop foreman or tech so they hear the exact noise. They'll usually do that for you, just mention it when you call in
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Guelphguy

If it was the pad wear sensors, wouldn't they make more noise when brakes applied instead of going away.
Guaranteed when I take it to the dealer, even if I take the service advisor for a ride I won't be able to replicate! I swear it does does it when pulling into my long lane way at home! lol...
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #6
Guelphguy

OK, made a little video...take a listen!

https://youtu.be/DhZ5zSkTOM0

Oddly, for me, it only under very light acceleration....so not convinced that it has anything to do with the brakes?

Old 07-07-2015, 12:56 AM   #7
moE_09

Drives: 2014 v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelphguy View Post
OK, made a little video...take a listen!

https://youtu.be/DhZ5zSkTOM0

Oddly, for me, it only under very light acceleration....so not convinced that it has anything to do with the brakes?

Mine is not that loud but same sound just quieiter
moE_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:53 AM   #8
Guelphguy

Well, I went into the dealer, and as I am pulling up the video on my phone, the service advisor starts to bend over to get inches from my phone so I did say, it's loud enough that you don't have to get that close. He listens and says to me, well come back next week when the shop foreman is back from vacation. We will get him to drive with you so make sure the car is hot and making that noise.

This is why it is such a pain to try and resolve issues like this. The noise is intermittent, seemingly random at times.....I hope I do not have to keep going back and forth. There was a cruise night/car show at a local A&W last night....lots of old classic cars, some beautiful 67-69 Camaro's....
I sure was proud to be squealing out the parking lot...and I am not talking about tire burnout!!!
UGH...
Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
jjlee500

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Any news on this issue?
I've had weird brake squeal for about a month now on my 2011 with V6. Intermittent brake squeal sound comes from driver side only. Seems to get louder after car is fully warmed up. It can happen while driving at any speed or with the slightest pressure on brake pedal. Disappears when braking only to reappear while cruising. Stumped my mechanic too since he saw nothing unusual on pads & rotors.
jjlee500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Guelphguy

Ironic you should ask... I just had my car at the dealer today. They figured it was dry axle seals. They replaced them both.... On my drive home. Guess what... Still there!
So not sure still...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2015, 07:07 AM   #11
$inferno
Trust No One

Drives: 94 Camaro Z28 & 2010 Camaro 1LT IOM
Our 2010 LT1 V6 rear brakes squeal at like 2 mph with me yesterday. Have you changed the rear brake pads yet? If so what are the best ones for stock rotors? I want to get ceramic pads. Does the rotors need to be changed so the ceramic pads don't squeal with the stock rotors?

Thank You
Philip

2010 Camaro 1LT V6/A6
94 Camaro Z28 A4
$inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:25 PM   #12
nCharms

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible Manual
First time posting here and its not about my 2011 SS! I too have a high pitch squeal sound from my 2009 Caddy SRX. From your description it sounds like what I have going on. My local garage tech (non GM) said it sounded like a tiny bit of air blowing out of a brake pedal boot but it would cost more to diagnose than repair. This noise comes on when its warm, in stop and go, and disappears when you just touch the pedal or speed up, just as you describe. I can also alter the pitch of the sound if I press upwards on the pedal as I drive. Its an auto. Thankfully this is not yet happening on the Camaro! So, I have no solution for you but I can relate to the problem at least. Maybe a GM thing? And its definitely coming from within the cabin and not the exterior.
nCharms is offline   Reply With Quote