Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
in my best Ronald Reagan voice.. "Well, Here we go again"

2012 2SS/RS Convertible:

Purchased 8-21-2012:

First Top replaced 12-2013, Replaced due to excessive wear (holes starting) toward the front on both the right and left sides, due to rubbing when top retracted as it hit the rear body molding in the convertible bucket when it flapped at speed.

replaced with same original top as purchased with.

Second Top replaced 4-2014, Replaced due to wear hole on the right and left sides at the seams about 3/4s the way down the rear window.

Replaced with new upgraded 2013 Top with additional pull strings to aid in tucking and preventing flap at speed.

Third top being replaced: Going in this Monday (parts already ordered and received) to replace the top a third time.

I have 2 wear holes, all the way thru the fabric on the seam in the same place as the second top wore. I also have wear marks again at the front and sides of top in the same place as the first top. Also the weather striping over the 1/4 windows is torn on both sides.

I am anal about my car and the top, I maintain it meticulously, aside from the weekly and sometimes bi-weekly washing, I follow GM's recommendation and use a soap scrub brush to clean the top at least once a month, I also use RaggTopp Fabric Convertible Top Cleaner/Protectant Kit which was recommended by both my Dealership and the Upholstery shop that did all the replacements for the Dealership they even supplied the first kit for free after the first top.

The dealership has been great about it, I took it in last week and they looked it over and ordered all the parts without any hassle.

my 3/36 warranty is up next month, after that I am on my own for the top, the GM extended warranty specifically excludes the top and top fabric, so I didn't bother to buy it.

I am hoping to get at least 18-24 months out of this last top so that I can trade up for a 2017. here's hoping.

oh and the SM and the GM rep both believe that the reason I have this issue is because of the amount of use my top gets. .

I have only driven the car 5 times with the top up, as it was raining those 5 times. Typically the top is down anytime I am in the car, which is to and from work 5 times a week, and to and from lunch 2-3 times a week..

That means my top cycles up and down 4-6 times a day, and I put about 45 miles a day all highway on the car, @ 3 years I just tipped 30,000 miles so my car has got 29,850 miles with the top down at or above 65mph.

I don't park the car with the top up because I don't want the interior sun damaged or dirty sitting in my work parking lot all day..

However I think I am going to purchase one of these cockpit covers:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353958

and leave the top down and tonneau cover in place. I don't put the tonneau cover on normally because to me it defeats the purpose of having a power top so I can drop top and go.

I love this car, highly disappointed in the top design though..

Hopefully the new design with the power hard top tonneau cover is a fix for this nonsense.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Do you have the tonneau cover? I have a 2011 I guess i've been lucky but never needed any work on the top. I dont have any wear marks on the top. I use the cover any time the top is down, i drove it once with out the cover and couldn't stand the flapping in the wind.

I also tuck my the loose fabric in a bit more so it doesn't wind up rubbing on the back frame.

I'm out of warranty also, but only hope I never have these issues. I've been tucking money away just in case.

Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
You should push for a component coverage letter. When I got my top replaced I wanted the frame and top done. GM only wanted to replace the top. I asked for a coverage letter and they gave me one for 5 years. It covers the complete top assembly. My dealership didn't want to do the top and sent it to a local shop that does tops. They did it in April 2014 and it still looks great.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #4
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelugon View Post
Do you have the tonneau cover? I have a 2011 I guess i've been lucky but never needed any work on the top. I dont have any wear marks on the top. I use the cover any time the top is down, i drove it once with out the cover and couldn't stand the flapping in the wind.

I also tuck my the loose fabric in a bit more so it doesn't wind up rubbing on the back frame.

I'm out of warranty also, but only hope I never have these issues. I've been tucking money away just in case.

yes I have it,

as stated in the last couple of sentences of my original post:

Quote:
I don't put the tonneau cover on normally because to me it defeats the purpose of having a power top so I can drop top and go.
for longer drives yes I use it, but commuting to and from work, IMO it is a complete waste of my time to have to:

start car,
drop top,
get out of car,
install tonneau,
put tonneau case in trunk

the get to work and:
exit vehicle
remove and bag tonneau
reenter vehicle
raise top
then place tonneau in trunk.

I refuse to go through all that every time I drive the car, since every time I drive the car the top is down.

I am considering just leaving the top down and the tonneau in place and getting one of these cockpit covers, though frankly it present pretty much the same issue. I can't just raise the top and lock the car I have to install this first.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353958

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1/SS View Post
You should push for a component coverage letter. When I got my top replaced I wanted the frame and top done. GM only wanted to replace the top. I asked for a coverage letter and they gave me one for 5 years. It covers the complete top assembly. My dealership didn't want to do the top and sent it to a local shop that does tops. They did it in April 2014 and it still looks great.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #5
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Cockpit tonneau cover works well for us. At the first sign of top issues will be trading for a late 1980s Mercedes. But until then, and it could be many more years, we'll keep our OrangeVert.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Shazbatt79

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert
2012 SS/RS checking in. I have been extremely fortunate with a great top. It seems to be hit or miss whichever year, although year 2011 seems to be leading the pack with issues. Guy down the street just bought a new 2015 vert, and the wrinkles on his top is not to be believed. Guess that is why it is callled a raptop......
Shazbatt79 is offline   Reply With Quote