Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
suction cammed ls3

Is this normal? Never seen this before. Never opened the oil cap on this car wile running before. My 5.3l truck does not do this. Cammed LS3
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1

Last edited by JCunningham; 08-06-2015 at 03:17 AM.
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #2
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
That does seem weird. That's an awful lot of suction.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Whatcha got in there....one of them Dison cams?
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #4
sneakypete
OOH..Sneaky, Sneaky!!

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
My cammed 2010 SS would do the same thing, never had any issues with it and asked several shops and none of them could really explain why. If the car is running strong and isnt giving you any problems i wouldnt worry about it.
sneakypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:00 PM   #5
JCunningham

its definitely running strong. Im getting 18-25mpg and no change in idle when i pull the oil cap.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 08-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
Can you post pictures of how you have the PCV system run? I suspect you have the cleanside (passenger side valve cover to CAI tube post MAF deleted and plugged. AT idle or deceleration that could pull as much as 22-24" of vacuum on the crankcase and anything extended above 14-15" will pull oil off the wrist pins and cause damage.

Show me your entire system if possible and I can guide you through it.
AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #7
JCunningham

yep thats what i thought it was. My tuner told me to splice the valve cover into my CC.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:59 PM   #8
AITI
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 LFX Auto
NOOOOO!!!!! you need filtered, MAF metered air entering the passenger side and the foul damaging compound laden vapors pulled out the drivers side. That would be mixing clean and dirty sides and defeating the evacuation functions.

Can you post pics or describe in detail what line run where? Just to make sure you are covered properly.

If you have the E2, it has dual outlets that can be utilized to provide evacuation when under acceleration where a single suction source can does not. Far better and this makes sure no crankcase pressure can build as well.

AITI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #9
JCunningham

Problem solved. I had it hooked up correctly to begin with. Then my tuner told me to run the valve cover to the valley cover line to the catch can been driving it around like that for 2000 miles
Can this affect the tune? this is how it was when i had it dynoed.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #10
JCunningham

think it caused any damage?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
That's not good the line goes to the intake tube behind the MAF look on this pic of my old engine with the CAI the line is the only line coming to it.

The way you have the catch can hooked up with the vacuum line from the intake going to the intake it makes its blow by go too direct into the engine and is not filtered with the effects of the catch can as it is on the output side...... The top hose the elite catch can goes to filter in the catch can the side one on the elite goes out...a catch can wants to cool the oil vapor and brings the oil in and in the elite the media to make it condense is in the top, I used to have one that was the opposite as the top one was out not in so it messed with my head when I posted this lol as now I have the elite .
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....

Last edited by christianchevell; 08-20-2015 at 07:17 PM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #12
JCunningham

sorry i forgot to get back to this thread.
I have the valley cover hooked to the top of the catch can and the side of the catch can hooked up to the port behind the throttle body. My tuner had me splice the pass side valve cover port to the valley cover to top of catch can line.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Ok yes you have the elite catch can like I do with the filtration coming in from the top input. But still I think the valley is right going to the top and the passenger side valve cover should route to your CAI intake tube like mine not to be spliced in that's not in the instructions and would just make it more likely maybe to be causing suction. See the pic I attached in my other post, here are instructions:

http://www.coldairinductions.com/med...-1099-10-B.pdf The elite even comes with the shrink wrap to make it seal tight.
2021 Wild Cherry ZL1 A10, Sunroof, Data,Red Carbon Interior, Nav, RotoFab Big Gulp , Elite x2ultra, Borla ATAK, Driveshaft shop, full BMR susp, Speed eng. valve covers, intercoolers, ATI , 2650 MAG, DSX lid, 103 NW, JBA shorties, Lingenfelter check, 1le wheels, spoiler and diveplanes, PCV, Big3racing ice tank, [SIGPIC]etc....
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote