Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM   #15
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I clean my wheels every time I wash my car which is about twice a week, I have this duster thing I bought at autozone that I use to wash the barrel of the wheel and it works great, I get the orange rust on the rotors but I have never noticed it making anything else orange. the rust will happen in less than a day if it rains and I don't drive the car. I like the Baer decela and will get something like that when the time comes!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
To make your wheels slick so the dust won't stick quite as bad I use Adam's Quick Sealant. Then for regular maintenance and wipe downs I use Waterless Wash.....When apply the quick sealant make sure that your wheels are cool. The key is don't
let the brake dust bake on, keep them wiped down.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-tire-kit.html
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...k-sealant.html
http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=5
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #17
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Exactly. With past cars I've ignored the wheels, then tried to clean them after a year or so of buildup. No dice. Now I clean them every time I wash the car and they're still as clean as the day I bought the car.

I've used wax to lessen the amount of dust that sticks to them, but I'll try the sealant and see how that goes (because washing them is a real PITA!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
To make your wheels slick so the dust won't stick quite as bad I use Adam's Quick Sealant. Then for regular maintenance and wipe downs I use Waterless Wash.....When apply the quick sealant make sure that your wheels are cool. The key is don't
let the brake dust bake on, keep them wiped down.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...-tire-kit.html
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...k-sealant.html
http://adamspolishes.com/video?video_id=5

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
A good coating like Cquartz UK will put a barrier on your rim that the dust won't stick very well. If it does stick, wiping it off is a breeze.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #19
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Exactly. With past cars I've ignored the wheels, then tried to clean them after a year or so of buildup. No dice. Now I clean them every time I wash the car and they're still as clean as the day I bought the car.

I've used wax to lessen the amount of dust that sticks to them, but I'll try the sealant and see how that goes (because washing them is a real PITA!).
Another good use for QS is to apply a coat to your front clip, the bugs will come off a lot easier.....it makes your paint super slick.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
RLNTLSS
INTSAGRAM: Failwish

Drives: 2019 /2SS LT1
i have a set of mgp caliper covers on my 22s for my dodge ram and never if rarely get dust on my chromies, and i never wash that truck ever, and the rims are still stripper sparkly as they day i last warshed them, do people with mgp caliper covers have the same issue, if not that would seem like the best buy in the long run for clean rims, also posing like you have larger calipers when i actually do for the camaro, any one with caliper covers should chime in, could be worth while
RLNTLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Polishes View Post
Another good use for QS is to apply a coat to your front clip, the bugs will come off a lot easier.....it makes your paint super slick.
For finished areas, will I need to strip them, or can I apply QS over the existing sealant and wax?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #22
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
A good sealant will help minimize brake dust on clear coated wheels. I use Sonus Ion.

If you have a good durable sealant such as Sonus Ion, BFWD, Menzerna Power Lock, Collinite 845, etc. that you have used on your paint, it will work on your wheels as well. No need to buy another sealant.

When applying, wash wheels first, use a clear coat safe iron removing cleaner to remove brake dust residue.
Clay the wheels, do not use this clay on paint, wheels only.
Apply sealant using same cure time as mfg. recommends.
Wheels get more exposure to dirt and brake dust, this process usually lasts for around 3 months when using a good sealant.

Paint coatings will last longer like C Quartz or Opti-Coat.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:48 PM   #23
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Sealants or coatings are the way to go. Minimize the stick.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #24
Hoosier1LE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I used Chemical guys rim wax, it's a big help. Took some time because I removed all 4 wheels to put it on. Rims wash up much easier now. Get a "Swifter" cleaner with the extension. Works great for a quick clean up without needed to drag the hose out.
Hoosier1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I put factory chrome wheels on my Camaro in the Summer. Brake dust doesn't stick to chrome like it does to other finishes.
Besides, it looks the best anyway.
Attached Images

myold88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM   #26
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxspeed View Post
Maybe its what they put in the water in Mass. But they have rusted before I have turned the hose off! There would always be a fine mist of orange dust on my gray wheels after the first drive. There was so much rust this spring over the winter (it's garaged) my wheels were literally orange. That was the it. Ordered the zinc rotors after that.
Here too. Mine is a DD and My hubs are rusted. Drives Me crazy. How much were those rotors? They don't show any signs of rust?
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #27
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I put factory chrome wheels on my Camaro in the Summer. Brake dust doesn't stick to chrome like it does to other finishes.
Besides, it looks the best anyway.
been wanted to do this for a while, hopefully next year. love the chrome wheels!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:28 PM   #28
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
I use Simple Green, mixed 50-50 with water. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, then rinse it off. Works great. Starting using it on my Harley first. Spoked wheels are a real chore to clean. Problem solved.