Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to pay fees to have someone tell them what the can and can't do.
to protect property values. going after stuff like car exhaust is just an abuse.

as for the OP, it really depends what kind of neighborhood your living in. if it's more upscale with mostly professionals, well, they typically don't like being awakened in the morning to loud exhaust, or disturbed in the evening by it. if your living in more of a working class neighborhood with lots of kids and regular people you'll have a better chance.
but to quote you "I personally would love the sound and rumble of the car" that's your preference, a preference not everyone shares. in fact, I'd say the number of people who find loud exhaust annoying and/or obnoxious is probably 10x the number who think it sounds good.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #16
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
DOT legal means exactly that. Have the paperwork that proves your exhaust is DOT legal on hand for when the condo association complains.

I don't think that really matters. when you move in you agree to abide by the rules of the HOA. whether it's legal or not is irrelevant. same way they can keep you from painting your house pink.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #17
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
I have the Retro Chambered cat-back from Stainless Works, and i've been wanting to buy the Stainless Works Longtube Headers 1 7/8 for a little while now. In a few weeks i'll probably get it done, but I have a few questions..

For one, i'm moving into a 2bd condo next week (it is garaged thank god). Obviously there are plenty of neighbors nearby. Should I be worried about them? Should I be worried about HOA? I personally would love the sound and rumble of the car, but the last thing I want is for someone to come down on me HARD for having a loud car and have them get HOA involved.

Any thoughts or stories appreciated!

I have exact same setup plus a cam and in a HOA. luckily my neighbors dont care but I also keep rpm down until I get away from our neighborhood. I just try to be courteous as I can with a loud car. My neighborhood isn't exactly "rich" but it's its upper middle class and HOA can be a PITA
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #18
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
to protect property values.
I'm glad I have the ability to do that for myself instead of paying someone to tell me what I need.

Sound like the OP has a very good chance of being screwed. I hope not. I do how ever understand people not wanting to hear that at the early morning or late evening hours. I definitely would try to stay off the throttle as much as possible. Sounds like a great application for stock muffler with electric cut outs.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #19
jd10013

Quote:
I'm glad I have the ability to do that for myself instead of paying someone to tell me what I need.
that's you. every neighborhood has people who wont cut their grass, or keep up their property. people who rent and let trash in the neighborhood etc. unfortunately, those people need a HOA to keep the neighborhood from becoming dilapidated.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:22 AM   #20
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
that's you. every neighborhood has people who wont cut their grass, or keep up their property. people who rent and let trash in the neighborhood etc. unfortunately, those people need a HOA to keep the neighborhood from becoming dilapidated.

Right (though I don't have a HOA).
The HOA is not to keep you in line... it is designed to ensure that you don't have to put up with neighbors who don't keep up their yard, or who park old junks on their lawn, leave the old toilet on the front yard like a statue, or have wild parties until all hours of the night (and so on).
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #21
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerrillakilla13 View Post
I have the Retro Chambered cat-back from Stainless Works, and i've been wanting to buy the Stainless Works Longtube Headers 1 7/8 for a little while now. In a few weeks i'll probably get it done, but I have a few questions..

For one, i'm moving into a 2bd condo next week (it is garaged thank god). Obviously there are plenty of neighbors nearby. Should I be worried about them? Should I be worried about HOA? I personally would love the sound and rumble of the car, but the last thing I want is for someone to come down on me HARD for having a loud car and have them get HOA involved.

Any thoughts or stories appreciated!
Every neighborhood and HOA is different and has it's own 'personality'; our experiences will be totally different then yours may/will be. For example, I live in a very quite, gated community made up mainly of retires, many of which are retired military, and we have a very strict HOA. That being said, I have never had a problem with any of my neighbors or the HOA; in fact, many of them like my vehicles and often come over while I'm out working on them to talk (about them).
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #22
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Props to OP for posting this. It shows you are a considerate person so whatever course of action you take, I think you will be fine.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #23
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickwithaustin View Post
Right (though I don't have a HOA).
The HOA is not to keep you in line... it is designed to ensure that you don't have to put up with neighbors who don't keep up their yard, or who park old junks on their lawn, leave the old toilet on the front yard like a statue, or have wild parties until all hours of the night (and so on).
I get all of that. We handle those types of situations differently here in the country, and thank god I'm from the country. That's why we already have twp ordinances in place, code enforcement officers and police for those things. And guess what, I'm already paying for that through taxation. HOAs are set up for a much different reason. It's about getting people to conform to the life style they want to have for the environment they live in. I have no problem with people who are willing to play in that world, but they also shouldn't complain when they want to do what the rules of the house do not allow.

I guess the OP should read the rules of engagement before signing up to play or just wait and see how strict they are. Sounds like it will only take one complainer to the HOA to give him problems.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #24
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
I get all of that. We handle those types of situations differently here in the country, and thank god I'm from the country. That's why we already have twp ordinances in place, code enforcement officers and police for those things. And guess what, I'm already paying for that through taxation. HOAs are set up for a much different reason. It's about getting people to conform to the life style they want to have for the environment they live in. I have no problem with people who are willing to play in that world, but they also shouldn't complain when they want to do what the rules of the house do not allow.

I guess the OP should read the rules of engagement before signing up to play or just wait and see how strict they are. Sounds like it will only take one complainer to the HOA to give him problems.

Oh I agree with you 100%. I would never move in with an HOA, but for those who do, they get what they bargained for. My parents used to live in a gated community and I hated it. I'd go to visit them and the gate would be closed, I'd have to beep them to get them to open it (or I'd just wait for someone else to go in and I'd follow behind... which defeated their whole gate purpose). Then, if I parked my car on the street in front of their home, because there was nowhere else to park, someone would come along and slap a sticker on the car window saying "NO CARS PARKED IN ROAD," and those stickers are hard to remove. Yeah, it sucked... I'd never do it, but my parents knew what they were getting in to, so their decision that they had to live with. (I guess they liked it... and when they passed away the home sold for several mil., so I'm not complaining any! LOL)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
nickster127
Black 2014 Camaro 1LT RS

Drives: 2014 1LT Black,NPP, RS, Tints
People can complain about it, but i do not think they could really do anything about it...

However, if there is a noise limit in your county for how loud an exhaust could be and your exhaust is louder then the limit then they could get you in trouble that way..

Aslong as your condo complex does not hare rules on curfew, or noise limits.. I think youll be fine
Old 08-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #26
jd10013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster127 View Post
People can complain about it, but i do not think they could really do anything about it...

depends on what's in the HOA rules. if it mentions noise pollution, or has something in there about loud cars then they can fine you until you stop. if you don't pay the fines, they can force a foreclosure on your home to get the money.

I'm lucky, don't have an HOA in my neighborhood. someone tried to start one 20 yrs ago (was a new development) but nobody was interested in it. I'm also lucky that it's basically a middle class, blue collar neighborhood that has plenty of noise. kids playing, animals, cars, stuff like that. someone who came looking for peace and quite wouldn't be happy. don't really have any loud cars, but there are a couple of younger people who sometimes on the weekends will compete to do the longest burnouts. nobody minds, but they aren't doing it at 5 am or 8pm on a weekday either.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #27
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Don't know what HOA is but I have long tube headers no mufflers and haven't had any comments on exhaust
Old 08-22-2015, 02:23 PM   #28
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I bet lots of it will be what time you leave in the morning. If you leave early, don't be surprised you get complaints.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote