Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #15
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
[QUOTE=NinoSS;8649181]Forum bickering... Always entertaining... [/QUOTE

Old 09-23-2015, 02:53 AM   #16
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
The 1LE does have a unique set of axles in the rear. (where they should be lol).

But they are larger than the standard SS and not as beefy as the ZL1. Dont know about the Z28 though.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:29 AM   #17
B73

Drives: 2013 2ss rs 1le in Victory Red
Going to have to admit to learning something new as well, I honestly thought my 1LE had a torsen diff in it too. Was sure I had read it somewhere before buying it, not disputing, just always thought it was too
B73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:01 PM   #18
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I think mine is one of the few 1LEs in the country with open diff, well at least it operates like that.

The clutch type diff on SS cars works admirably, but mine is no longer locking. When I put one of my rear tires up in the air, I no longer have any forward thrust. In a way, it 'acts like a Torsen' now

Instead of trying a fluid with less friction modifier, etc., I just purchased an Eaton helical (Torsen type) unit. Torsen is not the best type of diff for track use, but at least it does not wear out, so it provides consistent performance. Do you guys know how it compares to what comes with the Z/28? What is the max torque multiplication of the Z/28 unit? Is it preloaded by any chance?

Looking forward to trying it out at the track, but it's usually very hard to understand the difference, since you might attribute that little improvement in turn in to better tires or colder ambient; who knows.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:01 PM   #19
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I think mine is one of the few 1LEs in the country with open diff, well at least it operates like that.

The clutch type diff on SS cars works admirably, but mine is no longer locking. When I put one of my rear tires up in the air, I no longer have any forward thrust. In a way, it 'acts like a Torsen' now

Instead of trying a fluid with less friction modifier, etc., I just purchased an Eaton helical (Torsen type) unit. Torsen is not the best type of diff for track use, but at least it does not wear out, so it provides consistent performance. Do you guys know how it compares to what comes with the Z/28? What is the max torque multiplication of the Z/28 unit? Is it preloaded by any chance?

Looking forward to trying it out at the track, but it's usually very hard to understand the difference, since you might attribute that little improvement in turn in to better tires or colder ambient; who knows.
If you look at my build thread in in my sig you will see I mentioned the diff opening up when the car was brand new in 2013. As it got some miles on it is seemed to get better........Until I had the diff fluid changed at the dealer about a month ago. I immediately noticed the inside tire would spin on the street in a spirited corner. On track this past weekend I confirmed it was an issue (see photos). I had to "pedal" it in corners to get power down. For scientific purpose I stayed in it just to lay this "peg-leg" single track as proof positive.

My theory is that the friction modifier is the issue and broke down overtime when the car was new. With the fresh fluid and modifier the problem came right back. A: I can drain the fluid and not install friction modifier. B: Install the Eaton Tru-Trac (Helical) diff, which has been in the plans for a while....

Matt
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
What type is best for the drag strip or street is not always best for road racing. GM had to end up with the best over all compromise for a street driven vehicle . Here is an interesting and very informative read on the subject .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6bLnadyElwIQ2w
Old 09-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #21
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
My diff always opens up on track as well. I also plan on going with a helical diff when funding allows.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #22
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
For those who want to know what a Torsen is http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...03388427,d.cGU
Old 09-28-2015, 02:06 PM   #23
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
If you look at my build thread in in my sig you will see I mentioned the diff opening up when the car was brand new in 2013. As it got some miles on it is seemed to get better........Until I had the diff fluid changed at the dealer about a month ago. I immediately noticed the inside tire would spin on the street in a spirited corner. On track this past weekend I confirmed it was an issue (see photos). I had to "pedal" it in corners to get power down. For scientific purpose I stayed in it just to lay this "peg-leg" single track as proof positive.

My theory is that the friction modifier is the issue and broke down overtime when the car was new. With the fresh fluid and modifier the problem came right back. A: I can drain the fluid and not install friction modifier. B: Install the Eaton Tru-Trac (Helical) diff, which has been in the plans for a while....

Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
My diff always opens up on track as well. I also plan on going with a helical diff when funding allows.
In a way, I'm glad to see that I'm not being paranoid. The funny thing is, I changed the fluid a few months back with Amsoil diff fluid, so it doesn't take much to brake down the fluid.

It's promising that it started working again once you changed the fluid, but it's clear that we need a better solution than changing nasty diff fluid every other track day.

I hope to get the Eaton helical unit + Z/28 cooler installed this Friday. If you don't want to go all the way, perhaps getting the cooler installed first might also be a major mitigation since I'm sure overheating the fluid has a lot to do with fluid breaking down.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #24
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
What type is best for the drag strip or street is not always best for road racing. GM had to end up with the best over all compromise for a street driven vehicle . Here is an interesting and very informative read on the subject .
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6bLnadyElwIQ2w
Thanks for sharing, that was a better read than I thought! I like the comments from the racing point of view.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-28-2015, 02:22 PM   #25
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I'm sure most of the fluid break down is from the diff opening up and slipping like crazy. That's a lot of oil shearing and friction that would generate lots of heat. I suppose the z28 cooler would help but probably just best to eliminate the slip all together. I know I lose a lot of time where I could be back on the throttle because my diff does open up on those tighter corners. Not sure I will run the cooler at first though.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:25 PM   #26
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I'm sure most of the fluid break down is from the diff opening up and slipping like crazy. That's a lot of oil shearing and friction that would generate lots of heat. I suppose the z28 cooler would help but probably just best to eliminate the slip all together. I know I lose a lot of time where I could be back on the throttle because my diff does open up on those tighter corners. Not sure I will run the cooler at first though.
Makes sense. I'll hopefully have both installed by end of this week. I might try it on October 10th track day. Hopefully this concludes my car build for the time being... Until I get fed up with Recaros
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 09-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #27
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
In a way, I'm glad to see that I'm not being paranoid. The funny thing is, I changed the fluid a few months back with Amsoil diff fluid, so it doesn't take much to brake down the fluid.

It's promising that it started working again once you changed the fluid, but it's clear that we need a better solution than changing nasty diff fluid every other track day.

I hope to get the Eaton helical unit + Z/28 cooler installed this Friday. If you don't want to go all the way, perhaps getting the cooler installed first might also be a major mitigation since I'm sure overheating the fluid has a lot to do with fluid breaking down.
To clarify. The diff worked better with dirty fluid. As soon as it was changed to new fluid with new friction modifier it started to open up again.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #28
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
To clarify. The diff worked better with dirty fluid. As soon as it was changed to new fluid with new friction modifier it started to open up again.
Hmm in my case it's the other way around. I think my fluid is toast.

If you won't change the diff in a while, you guys should also consider Redline 75W-90 NS. Since it has no friction modifier, it will hook up the clutches, no problem. You can then add a little bit of fiction modifier to tune it to your liking. I thought about testing this out first since I already had the fluid for the Quaiffe diff I have for the Miata, but the Eaton unit was too cheap to pass on!
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD