Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-12-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Cracked paint on custom pieces

Alright so a year and a half ago i made my own "flow-tie". at the time it came out awesome and was very happy with it.

as of now though it looks like this.

obviously it needs to be repainted but im curious as to why the paint is cracking like it is. and what can i do to prevent it from happening in the future.

thanks guys!
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
need more info what kind of paint if it is lacquer it could have been applied to thick or it could be incompatible paint like lacquer over enamel.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:05 AM   #3
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
oh sorry, its all rattle can stuff rustoleum plastic primer, and plastic paint and clear.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 AM   #4
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
Most cars have a flex agent in the paint. This allows the paint to flex with the heat, cold and the slight body flex from wind/turns/braking etc. This keeps the paint on the entire car from cracking under these conditions.

If you use spray paint, which does not have a flexing agent, coupled with being on too thick can cause this kind of cracking. People who have bodykits often see cracking in the paint when not enough flex agent was used.

If you want to be able to color a piece like the flow tie what you can do is plastidip it (inherently flexible) and then use the plastidip clear coat. This will make is shine, it is wicked durable (did it to my wheels to protect them over the winter and not a single crack or peel) and you can remove it anytime you like with minimal effort.

So my 'advice', for what it is worth, strip off the paint, get your dip (they have tints for color matching), spray the bowtie in a few passes leaving 5 min between passes (3 passes should do it) then hit it with the plastidip clearcoat/glossifier. It will look like a factory painted piece, it will NOT crack and it will NOT come off until you take it off or until some asshole comes by and tries to peel it off.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
LynxSSavage
The Angry Orc

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Camaro SS
P.S. The plastic paint unlike the plastidip is an actual plastic that can and will crack, conditions pending. Plastidip is actually rubber and flexes. Plastidipped my RX-8 a bunch, amazing stuff.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Get automotive grade stuff, for a small project just get a couple cans from autozone or automotive touch up.com.

Sand, prime, spray the base coat, then spray the clear. Follow the directions on the can and you shouldn't have issues.

Yours looks like the red didn't want to stick and started to pull away in spots. That combined with the sun beating up the clear.

So I think your issue was in the prep work. Make sure the paint itself has warmed to the ambient temp, and that its not too humid.