Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-18-2015, 11:56 AM   #29
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Civilians cannot look up anything from a license number in my state Oregon as should be in most states as privacy has taken over.
Ha - What? You seriously believe that? You think your DMV is more sophisticated and safe than other sites (Dept of Defense, Office of Personnel Management, Veteran's Administration, etc.) that have been hacked and personal information compromised?
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #30
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Ha - What? You seriously believe that? You think your DMV is more sophisticated and safe than other sites (Dept of Defense, Office of Personnel Management, Veteran's Administration, etc.) that have been hacked and personal information compromised?
For a car as common as the Camaro I doubt a car thief would bother to hack the DMV computer to be able to look up plates so he could track down a particular car he randomly saw on the internet when he could just go to the mall and find pretty much the same thing anyway.

But on the other hand, if blocking your plate reduces your 1 in 1000 chance of being targeted to zero it certainly doesn't hurt anything.
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:43 PM   #31
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Who is going to bother to work in a network of car thieves and hackers to hack DMV to track cars down from forums? That's so implausible it should be the plot of the new Fast and Furious 27 movie.
License plates aren't 'private' and are intended to be just the opposite. Some people think their Camaros are something really so special the world wants to steal them. Crazy.
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #32
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I do understand the privacy concerns about a picture with your plate number. On the other hand, if you attend any type of car event or activity with anything other than a bone stock Camaro, there are going to be pictures of your car all over social media. You still don't want to make it easy so you cover your own plate, but then post a picture of your car on Facebook with your plate covered...

Years ago I locked my bike to a wrought iron fence outside a particularly fine young lady's apartment. The next morning as I was unlocking the chain, I thought odd. Didn't I park it facing the other direction? I climbed on and noticed a scrap of paper tucked into the handle bar cables as I inserted the key to the ignition. The paper read -- If we want it, we'll take it. Have a nice day :-)
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:17 PM   #33
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
Who is going to bother to work in a network of car thieves and hackers to hack DMV to track cars down from forums? That's so implausible it should be the plot of the new Fast and Furious 27 movie.
License plates aren't 'private' and are intended to be just the opposite. Some people think their Camaros are something really so special the world wants to steal them. Crazy.
Hardly, my neighbor has access to this information due to his job, no hacking is needed at all. Any legitimate company with a need to know will have no issue at all getting this info. All is takes then is some fool to misuse the access.
Am I saying this is what is happening often.... no

Is it possible..... absolutely

Look at it this way... one east bay dealer is losing Camaro's off the lot, cars are taken out of company parking garages in Pleasanton..... four were taken from one garage.alone. In some areas is is very sought after.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:29 PM   #34
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
For a car as common as the Camaro I doubt a car thief would bother to hack the DMV computer to be able to look up plates so he could track down a particular car he randomly saw on the internet when he could just go to the mall and find pretty much the same thing anyway.

Indeed, there are more Camaro's here where I live than you can shake a stick at. One at every signal light, it seems.

Here's the people (based on 2014 statistics) that should have the most worry, as these are the top 10 stolen vehicles:

1. Honda Accord (51,290 vehicles stolen)
2. Honda Civic (43,936)
3. Ford full-size pickup* (28,680)
4. Chevrolet full-size pickup (23,196)
5. Toyota Camry (14,605)
6. Dodge full-size pickup (11,075)
7. Dodge Caravan (10,483)
8. Nissan Altima (9,109)
9. Acura Integra (6,902)
10. Nissan Maxima (6,586)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
$inferno
Trust No One

Drives: 94 Camaro Z28 & 2010 Camaro 1LT IOM
I know that in NC all you need it a plate number to get someone info. I had a truck throw a rock into my windshield and when I approached him about it, He got an attitude. So I took his plate down and went to the NC DMV and got all of his info. Back then it cost me $1 to get his identity and his home address. But I only used that info to report it to my insurance, so they could handle who had to pay to fix my windshield. That's why I block out our plates. I also block them out on any internet site I post them on, Even fakebook.

2010 Camaro 1LT V6/A6
94 Camaro Z28 A4
$inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #36
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I can see both sides. I'm a relatively private person outside of business. So I don't often post many personal pictures anywhere. My business has my name and number plastered all over my vehicles. But that doesn't mean I feel good about having pictures of my personal life plastered all over the net. The license plate thing doesn't matter either way. I will say that I don't use vanity plates because that does make it easier for someone to know whose car is who. I know always need to advertise to people where I go and what I'm doing. Living in a small town probably has a lot to do with it.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:58 PM   #37
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I chalk it up to personal choice. If you want to flaunt it, do it. If you don't, then don't. It's like painted rally stripes. I don't understand why people want painted stripes, because it limits your options and it's more expensive to change your mind. But it doesn't affect my life so I'm good with whatever someone else decides what's right for them.

You don't have to understand human choices. If it's not causing undue harm to you and yours, then you're wasting precious time worrying about nothing. Accept it as one of the great mysteries of life and move on.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #38
Synyster

Drives: 2006 F150 Lariat
I'm confused as to why this bothers anyone. If someone wants to block out their plate, who really gives a shit?
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #39
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I'm confused as to why this bothers anyone. If someone wants to block out their plate, who really gives a shit?

I don't think anyone is bothered by it, but people do have a curiosity to understand. I want to know why some people like the sound of one type of exhaust over another, but that curiosity to understand the reasoning doesn't mean I'm bothered either way.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #40
phillip123hastings

Drives: A real beast
People are just paranoid with their cars.
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #41
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
I read in one of the stickeys (or somewhere) that said if we discuss mods that might void the warranty to not divulge our vin number. I know if I have a license plane number all I have to do is subscribe to Auto Check and will get the vehicle report as well as the vin.

Also it might be fun if someones an asshat enlarging the tag, putting it on your car and then run red light cameras all over town.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:46 PM   #42
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
I read in one of the stickeys (or somewhere) that said if we discuss mods that might void the warranty to not divulge our vin number. I know if I have a license plane number all I have to do is subscribe to Auto Check and will get the vehicle report as well as the vin.

Also it might be fun if someones an asshat enlarging the tag, putting it on your car and then run red light cameras all over town.
Probably work pretty well at the automatic bridge tolls also. You could blow through fast track for days, then not recieve the toll violation tickets. You could rack up thousands of dollars before the original plate holder started to get them in the mail.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote