Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM   #71
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Perfect post.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 PM   #72
G6Flyer

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Perfect post.

^^What this guy said.^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G6Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:06 AM   #73
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
So why no third party laptimes at laguna, vir or grattan? Why not invite the competition? Instead they keep claiming its faster and better without anything to back it up? I can buy argument of no laptimes and numbers but then dont market for months that you are faster.......... unless you know the internet takes you for real and theninternet puts your fake times on wikipedia and 1000 other articles.

Again, I give them credit for understanding the internet but the downfall of reality can hurt them when numbers dont start lining up and customers keep getting burned.

Dont get me wrong though, the shelby and performance camaros are more about 1 lap wonders and that is the hope with media.

As far as ls7... area under the curve is way better and while you get power for another 1000 rpms the ls7 is making as much at lower rpms. Look at those sheets again...the 350s real advantage is mass with this version.

God I cant wait for the comparos...lol.
There is third party times. There is just an embargo on them right now not to be published. Randy teased them on twitter I believe. Either car and driver or Road and Track is it in their best performance car competition. Just not sure why automakes have embargos on reviews.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #74
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Here is a good wright up of the hip of the Flat-Plane crank.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/flat-...romSplash=true
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #75
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
NO YOU are missing the point!! Bottom line, you have never driven one, you don't own one, when you do, then try to convince us, (the ones who own one) how it drives, feels, handles, stops or anything thing else.

No one buys a race car for the navigation!!!!! You are trying to justifying not being able to afford one or buy one by knocking it as some niche. I am quite happy to buy a niche car that out performs 99% of any manufacturer at the track and gets more looks than any mustang.

Your arguments are really pointless. We own a car that is the epitome of american muscle, has a nasty 7 liter, 7k redline motor. I would like to see any NA mustang put down 600 whp like my Z28 is doing!!
I'm not missing anything. No one is buying the Z28, period. Proof positive is the gray Z28 that's been sitting next to me in one of the most expense townships in the entire state of Pennsylvania selling for $59k.

http://www.armencars.com/VehicleDetails/2450162993

Everyone buys cars for the navigation. That's why GM can't sell the handful of Z28's produced. Why would anyone pay more for a Z28 when you can get a ZL1 that'll spank the Z28 in almost every way for $15,000+ less, and you get a much stronger driveline, every conceivable comfort and super easy modification potential? Oh, and you don't have to deal with the LS7, the most problematic failure-prone LS-motor ever produced.

It's great that you like your car. It really is. But the fact of the matter is the 2016 SS with MRC is a superior car to the current Z28 and will be had for half the sticker price. The Z28 was an awesome magazine story for 2014. I loved every second of it and was rooting with everyone else, but it isn't a viable production car. It was a credibility car, and it really did put Chevy on the map for the big magazines. In that way, the Z28 was a huge success. It was just a sales flop - and it only could have been a sales flop. It should have been an order-only car. Dealers were dumb for ordering them to sit on lots.

My entire point is that this mumbo jumbo won't fly with the 6th Gen. GM will have to create a Z28 with options and a sweet interior. They can add a premium stripper package, but they MUST offer a track ready car with the bells and whistles like Ford is doing with the GT350 and R-package. If they do not, you'll be able to pick up Z28's once again at mega deep discounts. 5th Gen Z28's will only continue to depreciate on dealer lots. Even at $59,000, the car is a ripoff with the ZL1 existing for the same price. The Z28, on paper, is worth $10,000 less than a ZL1 to the consumer. Until the Z28 falls into the 40's, it isn't a deal for anyone other than those that want to say they own a Z28.

Ford raised the bar. It is up to Chevy to raise it further.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:16 PM   #76
G6Flyer

Dyno Battle: GT350, GT350R, and Camaro Z/28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
I'm not missing anything. No one is buying the Z28, period. Proof positive is the gray Z28 that's been sitting next to me in one of the most expense townships in the entire state of Pennsylvania selling for $59k.

Everyone buys cars for the navigation. That's why GM can't sell the handful of Z28's produced. Why would anyone pay more for a Z28 when you can get a ZL1 that'll spank the Z28 in almost every way for $15,000+ less, and you get a much stronger driveline, every conceivable comfort and super easy modification potential? Oh, and you don't have to deal with the LS7, the most problematic failure-prone LS-motor ever produced.

It's great that you like your car. It really is. But the fact of the matter is the 2016 SS with MRC is a superior car to the current Z28 and will be had for half the sticker price. The Z28 was an awesome magazine story for 2014. I loved every second of it and was rooting with everyone else, but it isn't a viable production car. It was a credibility car, and it really did put Chevy on the map for the big magazines. In that way, the Z28 was a huge success. It was just a sales flop - and it only could have been a sales flop. It should have been an order-only car. Dealers were dumb for ordering them to sit on lots.

My entire point is that this mumbo jumbo won't fly with the 6th Gen. GM will have to create a Z28 with options and a sweet interior. They can add a premium stripper package, but they MUST offer a track ready car with the bells and whistles like Ford is doing with the GT350 and R-package. If they do not, you'll be able to pick up Z28's once again at mega deep discounts. 5th Gen Z28's will only continue to depreciate on dealer lots. Even at $59,000, the car is a ripoff with the ZL1 existing for the same price. The Z28, on paper, is worth $10,000 less than a ZL1 to the consumer. Until the Z28 falls into the 40's, it isn't a deal for anyone other than those that want to say they own a Z28.

You've outdone yourself. This is the new dumbest post on this forum. Everything you have written is your opinion, and virtually all of it is demonstrably false.

Do you really think you are going to convince Z/28 owners, who are intimately familiar with these cars, that they are inferior to a ZL1? Go read the post from the former ZL1 guy that just bought a Z/28.

You make the statement that the new SS is "superior in every way". How do you justify making that statement?! YOU HAVEN'T DRIVEN EITHER CAR!

The lack of sales success has only to do with being the outgoing model. Look at the C6 Z06 and ZR1s. By your logic they were massive failures too because they were sitting on lots for the last year or two of production.

Last edited by G6Flyer; 10-27-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #77
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Quote:

psst, no one cares what you think.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #78
G6Flyer

This was from the $20K off thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
All I can say after 72 hours of Z/28 ownership is, where have you been all my life?

This car is unreal. I mean, I really can't describe it any better than has been said on this forum. After having owned a ZL1 for the past two years, I can say I loved that car as well. And before that, I owned a '11 SS convertible. Before that, I was into 1st Gens exclusively. They are all great cars, but this Z/28 has rocked my world. There are only 6 days left to pick one up with this 15% off GM rebate. The number of available NEW Z/28's is dwindling. Pretty soon, all that will be left are used cars.

I don't care what you paid for your Z/28 or when you bought it. It was worth it. So if you can't swing it to make the purchase before Nov. 2, then pay what you have to pay--but get one of these cars before they're gone!

Wow. Just wow.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #79
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Flyer View Post
This was from the $20K off thread...

Actual owners are of the same opinion on this car. ZL1 I never connected with.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:58 PM   #80
G6Flyer

Quote:

Why would anyone pay more for a Z28 when you can get a ZL1 that'll spank the Z28 in almost every way...

After reading (repeatedly) how the ZL1 will "spank the Z28 in almost every way" I felt compelled to research that a little bit. The numbers I found (from MotorTrend) were:

Z/28 (http://beta.motortrend.com/car-revie...28_first_test/)

0-60: 4.0
1/4 Mile: 12.3 @ 117.2MPH
Braking 60-0: 97'
Lateral G: 1.06 (avg)
Nurburgring: 7:37 (wet, Al Op, " we ran much faster but didn't have video to back it up.")

ZL1 (http://beta.motortrend.com/car-revie...r_srt_hellcat/)

0-60: 3.9
1/4 Mile: 12.2 @ 116.6
Braking 60-0: 100'
Lateral G: .99 (avg)
Nurburgring 7:41 (dry).

The Z/28 is within .1 second on 0-60 AND 1/4 mile (and has a higher trap speed). I thought it was supposed to be slow and terrible at drag racing. I guess the ZL1 is too?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #81
Crushinator

Drives: '15 Z/28 #783
Back in '04 I bought a brand new Z06. The published times for that car were 12.4 at 116. The first time I took that car to the track, I ran a 12.20 at 118 100% stock down to the paper filter and tires. My corvetteforum name at the time was Nat04Z06. My time is still 12th on the C5 Z06 fast list.

I don't care when people think the Z/28 can do in the quarter mile. It is without a doubt quicker than a C5 Z06. I personally think it'll run 11's fairly easily. Granted, high 11's, but 11's nonetheless.

We just have to get people out there doing it! All the tracks around me are closed for the year. I don't have enough miles on my car yet anyway. But next year I will.
Crushinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #82
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:

The z/28 is really special, car is simply amazing. You are right the ZL1 rocks but not sure why you say Ford raised the bar? I love the shelby look. But the engineering hasnt been proven on that motor and the more time you spend around the car the more you understand why the z/28 is special. Dry sump, CCm brakes, DSSV dampers, nice aero, crazy tires, amazing powertrain, trans, diff cooling. PTM? Wow.

Shelby has a nice sounding engine and if no durability issues credit to them, sick car. But no drysump and not even an air to oil seperator? Brake calipers with identical pistons, not staggered? Discs that only grow radially and have holes between hat and disc for cooling air to escape? Cant even swap pads without removing caliper. That trans? Not the best Tremec unit torque wise. Carbon wheels....sorry, but no tx. Coatings to protect from heat with gravel tumbling in there? No tx. Spacers in carbon for wheel nuts? No tx. Any rash on lip during install or curb contact? No thank you. MR dampers.......really, in a all out no rear seats track car? Remember thepill bitching about zl1 and mr and how its not legal for racing and now they slap it on? No thank you. Blocked off front grill to control lift at loss of overall cooling ? No thank you

Again, great car, credit to them, amazing freaking price, credit to them, but not as track focused and capable as a z/28, just not there. Oh, nice front distribution too on it in the R.......

The z/28 price is steep for most, but it was meant for guys who biught 120k gt3s....at mid 50s best track/road car money can buy in my opinion if you can afford that. Should be a great comparo but true track rats will find more comfort with the Z.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM   #83
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushinator View Post
Back in '04 I bought a brand new Z06. The published times for that car were 12.4 at 116. The first time I took that car to the track, I ran a 12.20 at 118 100% stock down to the paper filter and tires. My corvetteforum name at the time was Nat04Z06. My time is still 12th on the C5 Z06 fast list.

I don't care when people think the Z/28 can do in the quarter mile. It is without a doubt quicker than a C5 Z06. I personally think it'll run 11's fairly easily. Granted, high 11's, but 11's nonetheless.

We just have to get people out there doing it! All the tracks around me are closed for the year. I don't have enough miles on my car yet anyway. But next year I will.
The Trofeo Rs hate a hard launch and the Z/28 wheel hops like crazy. Good luck as this Z is not a very happy drag racer.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #84
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
The z/28 is really special, car is simply amazing. You are right the ZL1 rocks but not sure why you say Ford raised the bar? I love the shelby look. But the engineering hasnt been proven on that motor and the more time you spend around the car the more you understand why the z/28 is special. Dry sump, CCm brakes, DSSV dampers, nice aero, crazy tires, amazing powertrain, trans, diff cooling. PTM? Wow.

Shelby has a nice sounding engine and if no durability issues credit to them, sick car. But no drysump and not even an air to oil seperator? Brake calipers with identical pistons, not staggered? Discs that only grow radially and have holes between hat and disc for cooling air to escape? Cant even swap pads without removing caliper. That trans? Not the best Tremec unit torque wise. Carbon wheels....sorry, but no tx. Coatings to protect from heat with gravel tumbling in there? No tx. Spacers in carbon for wheel nuts? No tx. Any rash on lip during install or curb contact? No thank you. MR dampers.......really, in a all out no rear seats track car? Remember thepill bitching about zl1 and mr and how its not legal for racing and now they slap it on? No thank you. Blocked off front grill to control lift at loss of overall cooling ? No thank you

Again, great car, credit to them, amazing freaking price, credit to them, but not as track focused and capable as a z/28, just not there. Oh, nice front distribution too on it in the R.......

The z/28 price is steep for most, but it was meant for guys who biught 120k gt3s....at mid 50s best track/road car money can buy in my opinion if you can afford that. Should be a great comparo but true track rats will find more comfort with the Z.