Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 10-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #225
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Where was the camera mounted for the second half of your video?

Norm
Looks like the sun visor.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #226
Gruby2k

Drives: '21 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Where was the camera mounted for the second half of your video?

Norm
It was off the sun visor, I messed it up though, normally I angle it down so you can see the gauges and see RPM and if using the speed menu in the center, the vehicle speed. But...I messed that up. You can see how the angle is suppose to work on some of my other videos.
Gruby2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:05 PM   #227
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Interesting . . . don't think I've seen video shot from that vantage point before. Thanks, guys.

Norm
Old 11-09-2015, 05:19 PM   #228
Balok

Drives: 2014 Spring Edition SS
Quadruple tank=slapper at VIR in the wet

So I had my reservations about running in the wet with my level of experience but I had so much cash invested in this event I would have felt like it was a total waste if I didn't at least try it and see what it was like.

RULE NUMBER ONE: DO NOT HIT THE CURBS IN THE WET!

RULE NUMBER TWO: TAKE CLEAN SHORTS TO THE TRACK IN THE EVENT YOU IGNORE RULE NUMBER ONE!

Seriously, I was obviously shocked at how quickly and without warning it broke loose on me. Thank God I had the nannies on or I'd probably be in the fence. I thought about halfway through it I had it saved but something caught and threw me sideways again for that last long slide.

I packed up and headed home after this session...

Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 PM   #229
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balok View Post
So I had my reservations about running in the wet with my level of experience but I had so much cash invested in this event I would have felt like it was a total waste if I didn't at least try it and see what it was like.

RULE NUMBER TWO: TAKE CLEAN SHORTS TO THE TRACK IN THE EVENT YOU IGNORE RULE NUMBER ONE!

Seriously, I was obviously shocked at how quickly and without warning it broke loose on me. Thank God I had the nannies on or I'd probably be in the fence. I thought about halfway through it I had it saved but something caught and threw me sideways again for that last long slide.

Considering what could happen, it's not too horrid I'm glad you left the nannies on!

Here's my brother with his spin-happy mid-engined Lotus Elise. Action starts after 30 seconds mark:
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 PM   #230
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festival #26
Quote:

All I can say is, been there done that. And NEVER again will I run in the rain. No matter how much I paid for the event. Ever think about why NASCAR doesn't run in the rain? How about F1? Only on rain tires! There's a reason for this!

Glad you learned a cheap lesson. I learned mine the same way last year, but I went into the grass. Never, ever again. Wait, I just said that.

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #231
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Right about here is where I figure the nannies are a mixed bag.

Yes, they can save you in certain situations where you wouldn't be able to do so on your own.

But they can also teach you that (most of the time) you can get away with being less delicate on the throttle than you should be. Not a good thing in my book.

A wet track day is probably not a good place for a tune with aggressive tip-in response or a Vitesse throttle controller set to be any more responsive than stock.

Norm
Old 11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #232
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
All I can say is, been there done that. And NEVER again will I run in the rain. No matter how much I paid for the event. Ever think about why NASCAR doesn't run in the rain? How about F1? Only on rain tires! There's a reason for this!

Glad you learned a cheap lesson. I learned mine the same way last year, but I went into the grass. Never, ever again. Wait, I just said that.
F1 or Tudor championship races run rain or shine, and only get canceled when there's severe weather conditions (e.g. a river forms over the track). F1 drivers have a wet tire option, but they are not forced to use it. They use it only when it gives them competitive advantage (damp conditions).

Driving at the track when wet is a very different animal. My brother attends go-cart championship here at PGP, and they race every other weekend, rain or shine. When it rains, they change the track width, toe settings, suspension softness, tire pressures, and also completely change the driving line.

Trying to make time when wet is very dangerous, but it can also be very informative if you try different ways to take the same corner in different ways. I'd much rather attend a wet track day with a lower HP/torque car, though. I bought 245 PSS tires for my Miata, and plan to attend a few, where I'll drive 7/10ths.
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
Old 11-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #233
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festival #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
F1 or Tudor championship races run rain or shine, and only get canceled when there's severe weather conditions (e.g. a river forms over the track). F1 drivers have a wet tire option, but they are not forced to use it. They use it only when it gives them competitive advantage (damp conditions).

Driving at the track when wet is a very different animal. My brother attends go-cart championship here at PGP, and they race every other weekend, rain or shine. When it rains, they change the track width, toe settings, suspension softness, tire pressures, and also completely change the driving line.

Trying to make time when wet is very dangerous, but it can also be very informative if you try different ways to take the same corner in different ways. I'd much rather attend a wet track day with a lower HP/torque car, though. I bought 245 PSS tires for my Miata, and plan to attend a few, where I'll drive 7/10ths.
OK, another (informed) opinion is refreshing! Don't take this the wrong way, but if I lived in Washington State, I think I'd have a different perspective on track days in the rain!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #234
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:

I'm here too and the track was ridiculously wet today. I didn't even try to run with the Trofeo Rs on my Z/28. Are you coming back tomorrow for the Grand course? It appears it will stop raining by midday...we can hope...😀
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #235
Balok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I'm here too and the track was ridiculously wet today. I didn't even try to run with the Trofeo Rs on my Z/28. Are you coming back tomorrow for the Grand course? It appears it will stop raining by midday...we can hope...😀
Unfortunately, I'm not coming back. It's just not worth the risk to me. I've been lucky and this is the first event I've been to with bad weather. I'm going to pick up a copy of Fallout 4 at midnight and I'll be playing around in a post-apocalyptic wasteland for the next few days!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:11 PM   #236
Balok

Quote:
Right about here is where I figure the nannies are a mixed bag.

Yes, they can save you in certain situations where you wouldn't be able to do so on your own.

But they can also teach you that (most of the time) you can get away with being less delicate on the throttle than you should be. Not a good thing in my book.

A wet track day is probably not a good place for a tune with aggressive tip-in response or a Vitesse throttle controller set to be any more responsive than stock.

Norm
I don't have a clue what those throttle things are, but I was babying it like crazy as I had cars in front and behind much closer than I cared for in the conditions. My throttle is stock from the factory. I wasn't in it that hard and had begun my acceleration well before hitting that curb. The curb got the car out of balance and all grip just went away instantly. There was no warning at all, it just snapped loose. I had already been through the first session of the morning, this was the second.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:59 AM   #237
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
track is drying as the rain has moved out...reconsider coming back to the track as I bet you would enjoy it!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:24 AM   #238
X25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z/28Dan View Post
OK, another (informed) opinion is refreshing! Don't take this the wrong way, but if I lived in Washington State, I think I'd have a different perspective on track days in the rain!
Hehe, good point. Summers are actually pretty dry here, but fall and spring are very unpredictable
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD