Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
jacborn

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 Red with white stri
L99 Shorty Question

I have an L99 2SSm2010 Camaro. I want a deeper/louder tone not really after RhP and I have Flowmaster AxleBack Outlaws already. Cant afford to do cam work and really don't want to get a tune. Iv'e read shorty headers typically don't require a tune. Is this true? Will they increase the sound? Are their any bolt on kits out there? I'm military and don't have such a huge pocket. Just after what you guys would recommend to include X pipes, cats, or whatever. Thanks Justin
jacborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
First things first, thanks for your service!

You are correct that shorty headers do not require a tune. I was running shortys on my car for the last 2.5 years without a tune and no check engine lights or anything. The sound is a little deeper, but the real place you can find sound volume is to get high flow cats and/or lose the factory "suitcase" mufflers. The factory cats are the biggest bottleneck of the entire exhaust system. IMO Solo makes the best high flow cats to bolt to shorty headers or stock manifolds, with JBA being a very popular choice too. If you choose to get shorty headers I'd make sure that you get 304 stainless headers that way they don't eventually rust apart. I had BBK's shortys and they held up very well and bolted in rather easily. You do have to take the steering shaft loose in installation, but it is easy to do and reinstall.

Personally, I'd skip the shortys, save a little while longer, and get a quality long tube setup. Yes you should get a tune with them, but the power gains in addition to the sound quality is awesome! There are some very reasonably priced, quality systems out there like Texas Speed or Stainless Power. If buying American or having a lifetime warranty is important then Kooks, ARH, or Stainless Works are three of the top pics.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #3
jacborn

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 Red with white stri
Thanks very much for your write up. Made things pretty simple for me! Yeah if I was running the strip I would go for the extra horses but after the couple speeding tickets I've already received I'll be happy with just the sound change. Very respectfully, Justin
jacborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacborn View Post
I have an L99 2SSm2010 Camaro. I want a deeper/louder tone not really after RhP and I have Flowmaster AxleBack Outlaws already. Cant afford to do cam work and really don't want to get a tune. Iv'e read shorty headers typically don't require a tune. Is this true? Will they increase the sound? Are their any bolt on kits out there? I'm military and don't have such a huge pocket. Just after what you guys would recommend to include X pipes, cats, or whatever. Thanks Justin
im currently running jba shorties with solo hi flow cats. I have the magnaflow muffler delete. If its just sound you want with a bump in hp without a tune go with the shorties and solo hi flow cats. Here is a vid with your car and stock exhaust...then all that was added was solo hi flow cats....you have an axleback already...do the cats first they sound great.I know its an ls3 but they do sound the same.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #5
Kendall421

Drives: 1969 Z28, 1982 Z28, 2014 SS/RS/1LE
http://youtu.be/XJyFLmse2lo

My 1LE with NPP, ARH Shory's, solo HF cats. Sound is definately nice. Have had them on all year with no codes and no tune. I am pulling them and putting on Tri-Y LT and mating HF cats over the winter.
Kendall421 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, l99