Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
jimmyp

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
AEM Wideband gauge help

I'm going to be installing mine this weekend, and the instructions say to hook up one of the wires to an "analog" ground. This might be a stupid question, but what the hell is an analog ground? Any ideas?
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:58 AM   #2
sixt3denied

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS BLACK w NOS
There's a black screw in the drivers side (in-cabin) fuse box. Just use that. I used that to ground my wide-band, and other accessories. See picture - Orange arrow points to ground screw.
Attached Images

BBK CAI, Dynomax Ultra Flow Exhaust, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 3M Dark Tint, BMR Subframe Connectors, BMR Drive Shaft Tunnel Brace, Bosch Brakes, Ny-Trex Triple Threat System, Glowshift NOS Gauge, Innovate LC-2 Wideband AFR Gauge, GM Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Heritage Grill, Custom LFX Emblems, BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Interface, Torque Pro Logging, Big Worm Graphix Spears & Stripes,Niche M117 Misano Wheels, MGP Caliper Covers
sixt3denied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
jimmyp

Drives: 2013 Camaro Convertible
That's what I wound up using, I was just wondering if anyone knew what an analog ground was. They also suggested a sensor ground as second choice. I just thought a ground was a ground. Now I just have to find a way to pick up a tach signal.

Last edited by jimmyp; 12-01-2015 at 04:47 AM. Reason: ?
jimmyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
FunkedOut

Drives: Black 2010 SS
analog ground is a term used when a system has analog circuitry and digital circuitry.
in those systems, the ground reference is kept separate and bonded together via a resistor to minimize ground noise.
what is ground noise?
when digital "stuff" switches between low voltage and high voltage (0 and 1), it can make the ground voltage rise towards the high voltage a bit until things settle. We're talking about microseconds here.
This is of no consequence to the digital circuitry that can tolerate much higher noise levels in the signal.
The analog circuitry benefits greatly from a low noise ground, where a much more steady signal can be measured.

The ground you used is fine.

Do you plan to datalog that wideband via OBDII?
If so, you might consider a screw with a couple of ground cables already attached to it on the drivers side, where the dash meets the center console.
This is the ground source for the OBDII plug itself.
You can get to it by removing the plastic trim that runs along the side of the tunnel.
FunkedOut is offline   Reply With Quote