Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-22-2015, 10:15 PM   #29
pincushin3819

Drives: 11 AGP TT SS, 14 ECS C7
The LT1 out of the box is leaps and bounds better than the LS3, they shouldn't even be compared. The power delivery of the LT1 is more comparable to the LS7 until about 5000 rpms. This is the same thing that happened when the LS1 was replaced by the ls2 & the ls2 by the ls3. Technology gets better, the LT1 makes more power with the same displacement, a bump in compression due to fuel delivery & even has less cam. The only thing I see better with the LS3 over the LT1 is the front seal being bolts and gasket instead of sealent.

As far as durability it's all about fueling & tune for any motor. Plenty of LS3 making 700+ for years. Any LT1 builds at ECS or Vengeance make around 700 rwhp with FI, meth & headers. If a shop keeps blowing up LT1 motors then they don't know how to tune it, that's not the motors fault. Direct Injection with VVT is a whole new ball game when it comes to tuning vs the LS.
There are good bit of 1000hp LT1 builds living on stock parts other than fueling upgrades, that speaks volumes considering how new the platform is.
pincushin3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #30
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by pincushin3819 View Post
As far as durability it's all about fueling & tune for any motor. Plenty of LS3 making 700+ for years. Any LT1 builds at ECS or Vengeance make around 700 rwhp with FI, meth & headers. If a shop keeps blowing up LT1 motors then they don't know how to tune it, that's not the motors fault. Direct Injection with VVT is a whole new ball game when it comes to tuning vs the LS.

There are good bit of 1000hp LT1 builds living on stock parts other than fueling upgrades, that speaks volumes considering how new the platform is.
Making the 700+ hp is the easy part on either power plant. The question is durability and ability to maintain that hp. From what everyone I've talked to and all the articles I've read, the pistons/rings are the issue on the LT1 and love to go kabloom once you get near that power. Of course you can do dyno pulls and have no issue showing good numbers but how many are on the road being pushed? If it weren't for that issue, I'd be 100% agreeing the LT1 is the better engine at this moment in time. Hopefully things change soon for it though or reliably boosting the darn thing is going to stay pretty expensive in comparison.

I'll have to continue doing some research on stock LT1 making 1000hp without having forged internals though. I know Vengeance did it first by boosting and adding nitrous but they also did heads cam and some other stuff beyond the fuel system.
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #31
pincushin3819

Drives: 11 AGP TT SS, 14 ECS C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
Making the 700+ hp is the easy part on either power plant. The question is durability and ability to maintain that hp. From what everyone I've talked to and all the articles I've read, the pistons/rings are the issue on the LT1 and love to go kabloom once you get near that power. Of course you can do dyno pulls and have no issue showing good numbers but how many are on the road being pushed? If it weren't for that issue, I'd be 100% agreeing the LT1 is the better engine at this moment in time. Hopefully things change soon for it though or reliably boosting the darn thing is going to stay pretty expensive in comparison.

I'll have to continue doing some research on stock LT1 making 1000hp without having forged internals though. I know Vengeance did it first by boosting and adding nitrous but they also did heads cam and some other stuff beyond the fuel system.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gGgz-UxZtskV1A
This is a good place start not to mention the countless others done by ESC. The only reason most of these cars get a cam in for fueling, it adds the 30% lobe for the fuel. Where the ls3 would need a whole new fuel system to reach 650 the LT1 don't & to push over just add a lash cap or the the fuel lobe or Meth. Also my stock LT1 made 418 rwhp through an auto 6 speed.
pincushin3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #32
OmarSS

Drives: 2019 CMGM 1LZ Z06, R.I.P 2014 SIM 1
Damn no comeback for that last post... guess the LT1 is better not that I care!
OmarSS is offline   Reply With Quote