Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Onstar worth it?
Onstar is great!! 8 16.67%
Onstar not worth it 40 83.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-31-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy Onstar worth it?

Last night about 11:00 PM, after a failure message on my dash I called onstar, and noticed that the person who took care did not had any technical-mechanical knowledge, and no one else was there to assist her, they were gone for the night, She suggested for me to call back onstar the next day.
I have never had a vehicle with Onstar service before. I bought the car used with around only 1100 miles.
Do you think that maybe because the car was registered with Onstar under a previous owner was the reason that the person from Onstar did not gave me a good customer service or is just that Onstar is that way and not worth it?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
clashley1976

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS M6
Not worth it. I've had it in my Camaro and in my wife's Pontiac. The only time I really ever used it was when I'd be driving, and my OnStar would ring with some OS representative trying to sell me a service upgrade. The remote unlock feature using the phone app was sorta nice, but certainly not worth $14.99 a month.
CAI intake, VTC, VMax PTB, VMax Iceolator, Apex intake scoop, Roto-Fab washer bottle relocate
Build Journal: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419992

clashley1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
Its never worth giving OnStar your credit card for even a 'free' offer.
You can use basic OnStar stuff without a paid account (unlocking cars for instance)
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have owned several GM vehicles and the first GM I bought I paid for it then I let it expire. I locked my keys in the truck and I called the On Star with my phone and the lady told me she could not unlock it because I let it expire. I did not renew it I just called a lock smith and he had me in the truck in a few minutes. It cost me 40 bucks but now I carry a extra key with me just in case. I do not think it is worth it myself. Do not pay for the XM service with a credit card,that is another story!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
OnStar is one of those things that you won't need 99% of the time, but you might want on that off chance you get a flat tire, need a tow, lock yourself out of the car, etc. I don't really use it, but it's more peace of mind than anything else. I don't mind paying the monthly fee, but to each his own.
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Thanks Guys, from your comments probably Onstar service is not worth it, and maybe neither the XM, since I have an USB with all my favorite songs.
I Just have a doubt, if I don't renew the XM, do you think this might affect the GPS map, and other apps that I have on my screen, like: the weather, cinema times and handless cell phone features that I have on my '14 ZL1?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
The weather, cinema etc is through XM and it's an extra charge on top of the standard XM. I think it's only a couple bucks a month.
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
WSSICK

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
OnStar is one of those things that you won't need 99% of the time, but you might want on that off chance you get a flat tire, need a tow, lock yourself out of the car, etc. I don't really use it, but it's more peace of mind than anything else. I don't mind paying the monthly fee, but to each his own.
I agree. Or in the off change you are involved in an accident in an isolated area and are unconscious..... Then there are the privacy issues. There are too many variables and what ifs. If you want Onstar for peace of mind in the event the unexpected happens then go for it. Otherwise, cancel the service and move on with life.
1996 Metallic Gray Ford Taurus GL
WSSICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
WSSICK

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
....I Just have a doubt, if I don't renew the XM, do you think this might affect the GPS map, and other apps that I have on my screen, like: the weather, cinema times and handless cell phone features that I have on my '14 ZL1?
I believe all of that is provided by Onstar based on the service you purchase. Visit the Onstar website for more information.
1996 Metallic Gray Ford Taurus GL
WSSICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Last time I tried to get directions from onstar, I pushed the button and it rang and rang and no one picked up. My car is not my daily driver, so it wouldnt be worth it for me.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:04 AM   #11
RedRock 2SS/RS

Drives: 2014 RedRock 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thanks Guys, from your comments probably Onstar service is not worth it, and maybe neither the XM, since I have an USB with all my favorite songs.
I Just have a doubt, if I don't renew the XM, do you think this might affect the GPS map, and other apps that I have on my screen, like: the weather, cinema times and handless cell phone features that I have on my '14 ZL1?
I just bought my 2SS/RS about 3 weeks ago. It had 4500 miles on it, warranties transferred over. I also got a full 3 month "free" subscription to OnStar. I don't plan to renew the thing.

However you might want to look into this: https://www.onstar.com/us/en/help-su...n/details.html

If your 1100 mile car came with warranty transferred to your and so forth, you might be able to get the "basic" free plan for the remainder of the 3 year warranty. Or at least, that is the way I see it. Personally, I have not called yet about this - waiting until after the holiday to do it.

You mentioned XM radio: that is one I will be getting. I have a small XM radio receiver at work that I listen to all the time through headphones. I really like their service. When I got the "free" 3 month trial, it came with the extras such as the weather/movie/fuel plan as well as the full blown XM plan including the iPhone app streaming service.

When I renew the service for good on my Camaro, I plan to get the "basic" music service - that is all I want. So far I have found the "weather" thing to be a pain and I could care less about movies/fuel. If you do any traveling though XM is really nice.
RedRock 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:06 AM   #12
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
I have nothing activated at all. Phone and nav/maps work, although I rarely use any of those features. I dont use the car, or any of the features enough to pay for those kind of services. Mostly roll out with just the exhast note.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:34 AM   #13
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
when you are sitting on the side of the road after hitting a deer it is great
Attached Images

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:01 AM   #14
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Usefulness of Onstar:

1. Lawyers
2. Insurance
3. Onstar

I activated my free 36 month Onstar last night on the way to our club's new years pig roast and bash.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote