Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-12-2016, 01:40 AM   #1
dale88jrdew
Brad

Drives: 2016 2LT/RS
New Convertible Owner

Hi all,

While not new to the Camaro owners club, this is my first Camaro Convertible. I recently upgraded to this 2014 2SS/RS Convertible from my 2010 Synergy V6. Going from almost the base of options to everything you can ask for has been an awesome change, not to mention the 2 extra cylinders! What a difference.

I wonder, going from the coupe to the convertible - am I to expect a noisier ride? I know with the trunk area being open because of the top and of course not having metal overhead it makes a difference, but it's a bit more than I expected. Also, the ride seems rougher - which I'm guessing is from the SS suspension.

Last question, and I know this is a touchy subject - car wash. I have a very good, trusting, personal relationship with my local car wash here that I've always taken my car to but I read lots of opinions on taking the vert through one. So far I've only ventured to the touchless and noticed I get some drips on both windows right where that seam of the seal comes together. Is that normal and if I do take it to the regular car wash will I get more leakage?

So far I've given her a full detail and also used the 303 protectant to do the top which has resulted in an awesome bead when it rains.

Sorry for the long first post and thanks for any input you can give me on my questions. I hate to sound like such a 'new' owner, but with such a big change it really is 'new' to me. Honored to be a part of the vert 'club'.

Attached Images

dale88jrdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
bwk1971
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Vert Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale88jrdew View Post
Hi all,

While not new to the Camaro owners club, this is my first Camaro Convertible. I recently upgraded to this 2014 2SS/RS Convertible from my 2010 Synergy V6. Going from almost the base of options to everything you can ask for has been an awesome change, not to mention the 2 extra cylinders! What a difference.

I wonder, going from the coupe to the convertible - am I to expect a noisier ride? I know with the trunk area being open because of the top and of course not having metal overhead it makes a difference, but it's a bit more than I expected. Also, the ride seems rougher - which I'm guessing is from the SS suspension.

Last question, and I know this is a touchy subject - car wash. I have a very good, trusting, personal relationship with my local car wash here that I've always taken my car to but I read lots of opinions on taking the vert through one. So far I've only ventured to the touchless and noticed I get some drips on both windows right where that seam of the seal comes together. Is that normal and if I do take it to the regular car wash will I get more leakage?

So far I've given her a full detail and also used the 303 protectant to do the top which has resulted in an awesome bead when it rains.

Sorry for the long first post and thanks for any input you can give me on my questions. I hate to sound like such a 'new' owner, but with such a big change it really is 'new' to me. Honored to be a part of the vert 'club'.

Congratulations and welcome to the club! Sweet ride and not a bad place to live while driving a convertible! My father lives there as well.

As for your questions, since I have never had a coupe, I can't speak to the noise differences. However, I have am quite sure that the convertible is a little noisier than the coupe, especially with the top down

As for washing, I personally wouldn't take mine to a car wash. Outside the potential for scratches, swirls, and fraying of the top, I really enjoy cleaning and protecting my car's finish myself. This ensures that it is done correctly. I have noticed that a direct blast of water will occasionally result in a drip or two of water on the inside of my windows, but nothing major.
"STREET LEGAL" 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 Convertible -- 2.9l Whipple Supercharger, CDC SportBar, Cordon CR-1 and MRR M017 wheels, Hex Vents, RPI ZL1 Splitter, CAI, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers, high-flow cats, ZR1 3 bar map sensor, ZL1 fuel pump, 3.875" pulley, ADM FPCM, 1LE PCV Oil Separator Kit, Elite Catch Can, APEX scoop and washer bottle relocation kit, Hotchkis lowering springs, BMR sways, BMR toe rods, BMR trailing arms, 620 rwhp, 564 rwtq, and tuned by Andrew Zurick of Complete Street Performance by way of Maryland Speed.
bwk1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
dale88jrdew
Brad

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I'm a transplant from Ohio where I probably would've hardly ever been able to enjoy the top down. This pic is from just a few weeks ago when it was 80 degrees in December! I got to enjoy a day without rain. The car is for sure made to enjoy topless!

I purchased this used so I'm just making sure noise or drips or anything are normal and not a result of previous ownership. I know there's some extra car with the top and all and I'm scared to try the carwash so it looks like I should heed the warnings and skip it.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #4
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
As a counterpoint, I have run both my first '12 2LT convertible and also my '15 Green Flash convertible through car washes with no issues at all.

Enjoy your ragtop!!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:49 AM   #5
dale88jrdew
Brad

Thank you. I hear so many conflicting opinions on the car wash subject. I thought well, maybe I'll try it and just see what happens. As mentioned, the car wash I've always taken my car to has been awesome - never any issues and so much easier than having to wash it on my own.

I do know when I did the touch-less there was the trickle on the passenger side, but the drivers side seemed to have more drips. The seal there attached to the windshield doesn't look like the passenger side, so I may have it checked out to see if something didn't happen to it before me.

BTW - love that Green Flash edition. I came from a Synergy - it was hard to stray from the green!
Old 01-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
el-guapin
Trust No One!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2LT/RS
Congrats!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I know that even a light to moderate spray of my hose when I'm washing by hand causes a few drips on the inside of the side windows. So I would never take it through a car wash. Plus, all that detergent they use might mess with the 303 protectant.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Welcome to the convertible side of the forum and congratulations on your new 'vert!

As the original owner of my 2011 'vert and having owned a convertible previously, I don't recommend any type of car wash for a soft (rag) top convertible other than by hand.

Also, many of us don't recommend using the 'vert for parades where people will be sitting on the rear sill / tulip / cowl panel. The frame is just too easy to damage.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Last edited by Baba; 01-13-2016 at 08:45 AM.
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
tmaleck

Drives: Replacement 2SS 'Vert 67 Cutlass
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale88jrdew View Post
Hi all,

I have owned convertibles since 1975, and I have to say both of my Camaro convertibles struck me with how quiet they were. Convertibles always have a louder interior, given the edges of the top, side frames, frame to body contact point, body flex etc. This car reminds me of my Saab 93 convertible. The front of the top fits tightly to the windshield frame, and the side glass to top seals are well designed.
Come for a ride in my once state of the art 67 Olds ragtop and you'll see what I mean.

Car washes don't scare me, I always run a new convertible through a touchless wash when I get it just to check for leaks. My 2LT convertible dripped a little the same place as yours, my new 2SS does not. Small leaks and drips are part of the convertible experience, IMHO.

Welcome to the club, these are great convertibles.
Tim
tmaleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:04 PM   #10
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Welcome to the club

Only time my top has been wet is last year at camaro fest. Best part was I could check and find no leaks

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:48 PM   #11
Moreair1

Drives: 2011 ss convertible
Congratulations on your new car, the only thing I really noticed the convertibes stock exhaust sounded better from inside than the standard coup exhaust
Moreair1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #12
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba View Post
Welcome to the convertible side of the forum and congratulations on your new 'vert!

As the original owner of my 2011 'vert and having owned a convertible previously, I don't recommend any type of car wash for a soft (rag) top convertible other than by hand.

Also, many of us don't recommend using the 'vert for parades where people will be sitting on the rear sill / tulip / cowl panel. The frame is just too easy to damage.
Baba, great advice. Welcome, Dale - beautiful car!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #13
vegas girl

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS BRM convertible
I have taken my vert through auto car wash because I'm just too lazy/busy to wash it myself.
OK...but no more auto washes for me. One of guys in my Camaro club just started a mobile car wash business. His fellow club member get a KILLER deal. He literally charges me what I was paying at auto wash...to wash both my Camaro and Mustang vert. Yea...he has threatened to charge extra for the Stang...just because it IS a Stang. So no more auto washes for Cami or Stella Blue.

2013 2LT/RS BRM Convertible
vegas girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #14
13BRM2SSRS

Drives: 13 Camaro 2SS Vert L99
It looks great! I've owned a convertible for 18 years now had a 96 TA vert prior to my 13 SS and I have always hand washed my cars. Im sure the vert will be noisier than a coupe for obvious reasons. I would think the SS suspension is probably the reason you have a little harsher ride. Congrats and enjoy it! FYI, looking forward to NASCAR next month big jr fan too!
Black GFX / Dynatech Supermaxx LT Headers / FR Black Chrome ZL1 Replicas 275/315 / RDP Tune / CAI / VMAX TB / MBRP SS Catback / Gtechniq CSL & EXOV3 / VTC / RX Catch Can / Valentine 1 / Halo DRL / LED Fogs
13BRM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote