Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-19-2016, 02:02 PM   #29
Jackpot

Drives: 2010 camaro ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
that is what I am counting on, I like to put a fresh coat of wax on every 4-6 weeks. just need a more bullet proof base to start with
Just remember what ever top coat you use the finish will have those properties, IE: coatings repel dirt and contaminants making it easier to clean, dirt and contaminants tend to stick to wax.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #30
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Just remember what ever top coat you use the finish will have those properties, IE: coatings repel dirt and contaminants making it easier to clean, dirt and contaminants tend to stick to wax.
yep already know that

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #31
Jackpot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
And you are the Yahoo who is contributing nothing to the question asked by the OP.

Unplug yourself from the matrix of low durability products sold at chain stores. Coatings last years....not months.

So while you are having to re-apply your cheap wax every 2 months,,, someone with a coating will be spending time doing something else....You will be the one spending more time...many more hours.

I wish I wasn't so blunt sometimes, I can understand if someone is just ignorant....but when someone ditches a product they know absolutely nothing about,,, I can only find one applicable response.

He did miss the coating part of the op but was this necessary. Your holier than thou attitude is just wrong everyone not out for the same result in their detailing or at the same level that dose not make them wrong. low durability products as you call them have a place. This might be why you were treated badly in your eyes at the autogeek forum.
Flame on!
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...rome-rims.html

Last edited by Jackpot; 01-20-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #32
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
He did miss the coating part of the op but was this necessary. Your holier than thou attitude is just wrong everyone not out for the same result in their detailing or at the same level that dose not make them wrong. low durability products as you call them have a place. This might be why you were treated badly in your eyes at the autogeek forum.
Flame on!
Your right. Most guys are not detailing their car for the GM Nationals in Carlisle.
I do drive my Camaro year around weather permitting. I do try to detail and wax
a panel or two every week. Some guys here like to jump on you no matter what
you say. Got to just let most of it go imo.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #33
splashlog48

Drives: 2011 Green SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Your right. Most guys are not detailing their car for the GM Nationals in Carlisle.
Right !!! Some Drive 'em Some Detail (and type booklength replies) !!!!
splashlog48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #34
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Flame on!
My attitude is not as you think. This post was a response to his response, claiming Turtle wax ice is better because it cures in 2 minutes...then a coating.

This is what an actual "fanboy" is by definition. Someone who
has never used a product, and denounces it. And he states I am a fanboy?

I guess I am a fanboy of products I have used and compared to others, finding one to be superior.

The statement he also made that the "yahoo's" who use products such as a coating, spend all day on their detailing! This is past the point of ignorance, it's just plain stupid. Anyone who has this coating will spend less time cleaning. The video fits this reply perfectly.

I simply posted here initially to try and answer and help the OP based upon what information he was seeking. This poster didn't offer anything, except pure stupidity.

As far as that AG post, I was asked by a potential customer about removal of yellow stains on chrome wheels, so I made a post. I didn't get any answers, except conjecture or "yahoo's". But that has nothing to do with this thread, or OGC.... so my suggestion is

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-21-2016 at 06:34 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #35
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:

The OP stated he was planning to use OGC, and requested info on it, not Megs Cleaner wax, which almost every post you make in this section, is a part of.

Have you EVER used any other product to compare to it? You don't have to answer, I already know.

When someone asks a question, the general thing to do is respond with information (if you happen to know it), that pertains to the question.

It also helps if you read the original post before posting..........

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:31 PM   #36
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashlog48 View Post
Right !!! Some Drive 'em Some Detail (and type booklength replies) !!!!

No.....some respond in a section dedicated to detailing, help for others that are looking for it, and try to make it as detailed as possible to cover any idiosyncrasies that can be incurred during use of said product.

Others post ridiculous gibberish that is of no benefit.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #37
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
The OP stated he was planning to use OGC, and requested info on it, not Megs Cleaner wax, which almost every post you make in this section, is a part of.

Have you EVER used any other product to compare to it? You don't have to answer, I already know.

When someone asks a question, the general thing to do is respond with information (if you happen to know it), that pertains to the question.

It also helps if you read the original post before posting..........
I did read the OP's original question and his thread starter heading. He asked "Can you coat vinyl stripes".
Maybe you should read that again yourself. I asked what he meant by COAT and gave him the best answer
I could based on his question.

Just try to get over yourself and move on Joe. Enough of your arrogant BS already !
Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #38
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
I did read the OP's original question and his thread starter heading. He asked "Can you coat vinyl stripes".
Maybe you should read that again yourself. I asked what he meant by COAT and gave him the best answer

Just try to get over yourself and move on Joe. Enough of your arrogant BS already !
Don't let that guy get to you. After all we are only talking about vinyl stripes. When he's yapping on 2 different forums you have to consider the common denominator here. I hate being so blunt
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #39
Jackpot

Quote:

Let's be honest here the in the OP he did say he was using Optimum Gloss coat.

[QUOTE=jshaf;8843227]assuming I can, just want to get confirmation. any tips on applying is welcomed as well. going to use Optimum Gloss coat[/QUOTE
Old 01-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #40
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
assuming I can, just want to get confirmation. any tips on applying is welcomed as well. going to use Optimum Gloss coat
Quote:

The original post is above. The one you didn't read. He plainly stated he was going to use OGC.

If you would have read this first post, you would have known what he meant.

Or maybe not....since you ONLY use Megs Cleaner Wax....maybe you think it is a coating?

A wax is a natural product, usually providing very short term protection, it does add warmth/depth to the paint surface, and can fill minor defects. A cleaner wax contains very light abrasives or a solvent, designed to clean the surface as you wax. This is for people who do not polish their vehicles, as a 1 step for cleaning and protection, but again has low durability. 2 months.

A sealant is a man made product that has much better durability then wax, at least twice as long, it leaves more of a "candy shell" type look vs. a warm/deep look.

A coating is a newer product, designed for maximum durability, most last 2-3 years. As stated by NorCal, most don't play well with waxes/sealants on top. Opti-coat, which was one of the first coatings, had this same issue, Optimum then made advances to it, to make it easier to apply, more hydrophobic, and compatible with sealants and waxes.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-23-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 05:32 PM   #41
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Don't let that guy get to you. After all we are only talking about vinyl stripes. When he's yapping on 2 different forums you have to consider the common denominator here. I hate being so blunt

Where was your reply concerning OCG and it's application?...Oh you mentioned a spray wax.............nothing to do with the question being asked.

I gave him some good advice based upon his question and I'm the bad guy?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 PM   #42
ghosted
BCS Auto

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS
Two thing:

First, (most of) you guys need to grow up. OP was asking a specific question related to a specific type of product (OGC), and that product was not wax. So those that erroneously made contributions regarding waxes are appreciated, but should politely and quietly bow out of this.

Second, and only because it was mentioned, Cleaner Wax is not what any of us should be using unless we have bad paint/topcoat. For those us of that take good care of our paint, we may never actually need to use a cleaner wax, and paste waxes should be fine. Cleaner wax, as others have mentioned, contains an abrasive, and effectively cuts into your clear coat to 'clean' out imperfections in the surface.

BCS Auto on Facebook - - - Follow me on Instagram @datv6tho & @officialbcsauto
ghosted is offline   Reply With Quote