Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #1
baranowski

Drives: 1968 Bronco,2001 Fatboy,2010 SS
aftermarket seats in camaro?

I am beginning to think about getting aftermarket seats..

I know I will lose the side airbags... is there a way to make the camaro not give me an airbag issue light if I remove the seats?

If the new seats can't be motorized what seats should I look into that can be adjusted?

Also what brackets are needed to mate up the aftermarket seats to the factory mount holes?

Thanks
baranowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
baranowski

Really... no one???
Old 10-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #3
chevyss69

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Go with the factory recaro's
chevyss69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
ModBargains.com

Drives: Widebody 2013 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
I am beginning to think about getting aftermarket seats..

I know I will lose the side airbags... is there a way to make the camaro not give me an airbag issue light if I remove the seats?

You can always wire in a relay so that the airbag light doesn't go off. Not sure if there's a plug and play option for this though since we don't offer one.

If the new seats can't be motorized what seats should I look into that can be adjusted?

Reclining seats are still made by companies like Recaro and Sparco. Both make awesome examples like a few of these:

Sparco R600:

Sparco Chrono Road:

Recaro Sportster CS:

Also what brackets are needed to mate up the aftermarket seats to the factory mount holes?

Sparco makes their own mounts, it'll be a plug and play solution along with side mounts too. Recaro does the same for most applications, otherwise there are aftermarket manufacturers like Wedge Engineering who make floor mounts for all seats and most cars I've done.

Thanks
Answered your questions in bold
ModBargains.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
g8lover

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
if you go aftermarket seats and get the light on the dash, I have heard that your complete air bag system is disabled.... not just side bag..... not 100% sure but heard from some various people....

if you have airbag fault, complete system is disabled... ???
any comments?..
Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Quote:
Originally Posted by g8lover View Post
if you go aftermarket seats and get the light on the dash, I have heard that your complete air bag system is disabled.... not just side bag..... not 100% sure but heard from some various people....

if you have airbag fault, complete system is disabled... ???
any comments?..
I doubt it... I suppose it's possible, but it is not a standard feature. Safety features usually have redundancy built in. (Folks just place a resistor at the plug that matches the seat. Or, carefully place a small piece of electrical tape over the airbag light.) I had thought that the seats purpose was to detect how far fore or aft the seat is, so the car knows whether or not to deploy 1 or 2 stages of the wheel airbag.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
baranowski

I wouldn't mind the newer Recaro seats. But as I understand it, their air bags will not deploy when they are connected to my older 2010 camaro. With the Recaros I would like to keep the air bags in the seat.... if I cannot then why spend the extra money for an option that will not work
Old 02-07-2016, 01:04 PM   #8
rjsmith1973

Drives: Aqua Blue 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranowski View Post
I wouldn't mind the newer Recaro seats. But as I understand it, their air bags will not deploy when they are connected to my older 2010 camaro. With the Recaros I would like to keep the air bags in the seat.... if I cannot then why spend the extra money for an option that will not work
I have the factory recaros retrofitted to my 2010. The airbags should work but it takes a bit of wire splicing with the position sensor. There's a thread on these forums somewhere that details the procedure. Also, in order to get the heated function on the seats to work, they had to update my BCM to the 2011 version. Granted, as I haven't wrecked the car, I can't confirm they will deploy; and I have no intention of running that experiment!
rjsmith1973 is offline   Reply With Quote