Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Did my car turn into Betty White?!?

I need a little help... recently (one month/ 2000 miles ago) a creaking/ popping sound began, coming from the area of the front driver side spring/ strut area. It's not there when the car is cold... can't produce the sound in the morning. But, after the car is warmed up, and has been driven for a while, any movement (light accel/ decel) that slightly bounces the front end up and down will create the sound.

When the car is parked, I can create the sound (as long as the car is still warm from its last drive) by lifting and pressing the front of the car up and down. This produces far more of the sound than rocking the car forward and backward (although the forward/ backward action, of course, still produces a little bit of resulting up/ down movement, so there is a LITTLE bit of the creaking sound).

I have replaced the brake pads (it was time, regardless), have compressed the spring and reseated the little rubber pad that the spring sits on, and lubed the everlovin' crap out of every joint, bushing, nut and bolt. I cannot find any loose, worn, or less- than- good part.

2011 1LT with 118,000 miles... I drive it hard, and 20+ miles of my daily commute are winding mountain roads.

Any ideas why this thing has creaky joints like an old lady? Does it need a Snickers bar? What DOES it need?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:44 AM   #2
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I need a little help... recently (one month/ 2000 miles ago) a creaking/ popping sound began, coming from the area of the front driver side spring/ strut area. It's not there when the car is cold... can't produce the sound in the morning. But, after the car is warmed up, and has been driven for a while, any movement (light accel/ decel) that slightly bounces the front end up and down will create the sound.

When the car is parked, I can create the sound (as long as the car is still warm from its last drive) by lifting and pressing the front of the car up and down. This produces far more of the sound than rocking the car forward and backward (although the forward/ backward action, of course, still produces a little bit of resulting up/ down movement, so there is a LITTLE bit of the creaking sound).

I have replaced the brake pads (it was time, regardless), have compressed the spring and reseated the little rubber pad that the spring sits on, and lubed the everlovin' crap out of every joint, bushing, nut and bolt. I cannot find any loose, worn, or less- than- good part.

2011 1LT with 118,000 miles... I drive it hard, and 20+ miles of my daily commute are winding mountain roads.

Any ideas why this thing has creaky joints like an old lady? Does it need a Snickers bar? What DOES it need?
You just answered your own question.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:50 AM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Scalded, I would get under there and inspect every sway bar and joint, re torque all the engine cradle and suspension bolts.
Also sometimes a second person listening while you press on the car to duplicate the noise helps.
Something is loose or worn out.
We haven't heard much of this problem before.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Strut bearing?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
How many miles on on your front struts?
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Look at your Sway Bar Bushings to see if they are tightened down
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Strut bearing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by two_wheel_mayhem View Post
How many miles on on your front struts?
+1 I was thinking the same thing .
Old 02-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
check the struts and any thing you can... just go to a good local tire store that does suspension work.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
dmcm494

Drives: 2011 2SS Camaro L99 Cyber Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
+1 I was thinking the same thing .
+2 on strut bearings or mounts. Lift hood and look at washer on top of strut as you rock car up and down. See if there is a lot of slack between the washer and the top of strut tower.

P.S. Don't put your fingers under the washer while shaking.
dmcm494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:08 AM   #10
charles71

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Betty White

Does it happen when you turn the wheel left to right stop to stop when sitting still?

Its your ball joints.
Livernois Stage II Heads & Cam, LS7 Lifters, Ported Intake & Throttle Body, Rotofab CAI, BBK High Flow Fuel Rail @ Guage, Eaton Tru Trac Posi with 3.91 gears, 1000 HP Axels, Kooks Long tubes & full Corsa Exhaust, GM Hurst Short Throw Shifter, Mcleod RXT Twin Disc, Vitesse Throttle Controller, 1.5" Lowering Springs, Strut Tower Brace, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, Apex reservoir relocation kit and air scoop.
charles71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #11
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
Do you have a catch can on your car? Just curious.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
DanielW

Drives: 2011 SS/RS convertible
Upper strut mount (which contains the bearing) is either loose or worn. Looks like a giant black rubber washer.
DanielW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #13
PostNup
CAR-DASHIAN

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic 2SS/RS L99
I hope you get your problem fixed soon and its something simple.

That being said... I am curious how you know Betty White doesn't creek first thing in the morning? Is there more to this story? Lol
PERFORMANCE: ColdAirInductions CAI, ADM Race Scoop, Cordes Performance Racing Ported TB/IM/Custom VVT Cam, WFO Milled Heads, Stainless Power 1 7/8" LT/3" HFCs, JBA 3" Comp. Cat-Back, Taylor 10.4mm Plug Wires, Tim King Performance Stage 3 6L80, Circle D Billet 3600 Stall, Nic D ECM/TCM Tune, - 458rwhp/413rwtq (prior to PIM), Forgestar F14 (F)18" / (R)17" Rims.

SUSPENSION: Z/28 Rear UCA Bushings, Carlyle Racing LCA/TA, BMR Adj. Toe Rods/Xtreme Anti-Roll Bar, Justice Pete Castor Locks/Radius Rod Inserts, Pegasus Billet Rear Cradle Bushings, Mickey Thompson Street SS II 305/45/17 tires.
PostNup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostNup View Post
I hope you get your problem fixed soon and its something simple.

That being said... I am curious how you know Betty White doesn't creek first thing in the morning? Is there more to this story? Lol

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote