Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
TheBonfiggy
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
What's Your Car's Story?!

Hey guys I was wondering if you have had any cool stories or experiences with your car? Thought I would start this thread off with my own story! My Camaro has more sentimental value to me than any price I could possibly sell it for. It was my first car, and I worked my ass off since I was 14 with the goal of owning my dream car as my very first car. My dad was convinced that I would kill myself (with good reason I love going fast ) and would not put a cent towards it. Although he was not supportive of me owning a sports car for my first car, he was very supportive in all my business ventures and was always there for advice/guidance.

My car was my motivation to work as hard as I did and the thought of one day owning it helped me push myself into making it happen. I fell in love with the 13' 1LE as soon as I heard about it and was fortunate enough to have saved up enough money to make it happen for my 16th birthday. I had to drive to West Virginia from Ohio to check her out as they were the only dealer in the country that had the exact car I wanted at the time. I ended up negotiating a fair price and had the joy of learning how to drive a manual on my way back to Ohio . Got the hang of it pretty quick as I have ridden manual dirt bikes all my life, and was on my way back in no time! I remember having no control over the HUGE permagrin across my face and was in disbelief that I was finally behind the wheel of my dream car!

Was having the time of my life up until I ran into a blizzard about 30 minutes from home. I remember being scared sh*tless as I passed others who had gone off the road, and keep in mind I was a new driver at the time with little experience. Struggled through the snow and made it within 3 miles from home before I had to call it quits after encountering a steep icy hill. So I decided to play it safe and slowly neutraled my way back down the hill. Ended up having to leave her in a parking lot for the night (in a safe spot of course ) and went back for her the next day!

Learned a lot in this car from losing my license to my virginity . I've matured a lot since then and will be 18 this month, and have not gotten a single ticket (other than tickets for no front plate which I refuse to install) since losing my license. Have learned to respect the beast and save the speed for the track or that occasional highway pull when no one's around hehe Would love to hear other's stories as I am sure there are some good ones!

Last edited by TheBonfiggy; 03-01-2016 at 08:14 PM.
TheBonfiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Your story rings a bell....so does your username.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #3
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I really wasn't in the market for a new car at the time, but I really liked the new Gen 5's. I was going through a battle with cancer and had gone through some experimental radiation and chemo therapies in hopes it would shrink the tumor enough so they could operate and remove the remainder. Fortunately, the treatment was successful, but there was still a lot of questions as to whether or not the operation would be the answer or what the quality of life would be afterwards. Prior to the surgery, my wife, knowing I've been a 'car guy' all my life, said 'you have a blank check, go buy the car you want'. When I asked her if this was the smartest move, she replied, 'hey, you're going to beat this and will need a new car to play with.' (got to love her)

Although I already owned a C6 Corvette, I thought about buying a C7. However I was not really overly impressed with C7 in comparison to my C6 (although the C7 is awesome). So I thought I could have the best of both worlds and bought the exact Camaro I had been looking at...a black 2SS/RS.

I wasn't wrong and now, after being on the table for over 17 hours and two year's later, I'm cancer free. I now enjoy both my Corvette and Camaro and am extremely grateful for the love of my life for not only for supporting and standing by me, but for encouraging me to continuously think about the future by encouraging me to buy the Camaro ... among other things

Last edited by Welker2; 03-05-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Welker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
jclawed

Drives: 2015 LT
I was going through a divorce in early 2012, and I had to drive by a few dealerships on my way to my lawyer's office. I'd been drooling over the C5 since they debuted, so as soon as the divorce was final, I bought a new 2012. Ashen grey metallic. Loved it.
Not long after, I got an email from a girl that worked where I did asking me about it - the parking lot I parked in was between her building and mine. I didn't think much of it (nor did I know her - though I knew who she was), so I told her I'd take her for a ride sometime.
Three inseparable years later, we flew to Vegas and got married.
Four days after we got back, I was hit head on by a dumbass who didn't know he had to look before turning. Car was totaled, but no one was injured.
The new wife picked out the color (blue velvet) of my new 2015.
jclawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I seen the prototype on the cover of a magazine and I immediately said out loud that I am going to buy one. My daughter is a car lover like me so we went to the dealer together to order my new SS. The dealer couldn't pull up any info on their computer and the only thing they had was a copy of a brochure that showed some of the options. My daughter wanted a sunroof and I wanted a 6 speed so I loaded up the car with almost every option and we ordered it in early December 2008 with a deposit of $500. The dealer said I wouldn't likely get the car for up to 6 months after I ordered it, actually it took a little longer but I finally got it.

I received my 2SS/RS on 6/14/2009, I had not even seen a new Camaro on the road prior to getting mine. The attention the car got was amazing and actually got to the point of being annoying. I swear for almost a year everywhere I parked the car someone would ask me questions and/or want to take pictures. I let some little kids sit in the car while their parents took pictures so I had a blast prior to so many of them being on the road.

Likely the only time in my life that I felt like a rock star!!
Attached Images

OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
NeedlessKane

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM
I have been driving Mazda Miatas for the past 10 years as my daily, both being early '90s models. I have a 100 mile commute each day so is enjoyed the good mileage as well as being very proficient in working on them. I never thought about getting a big v8 until a buddy of mine got a 2012 Challenger R/T manual with the 5.7. I was hooked at how much torque it had. I have already thought the gen 5 Camaro was amazing looking but never gave it much thought into getting one. I started looking and it just so happens a car lot that I drive by everyday had one on their website but it had no picture. It was blue, manual v8 and no sunroof. I went to check it out and was blown away by the IBM paint. It has 28k miles and this was back in 2014. I drove it - my first Camaro experience ever. I hit 3rd gear and punched it and said to myself "yep I need this". Went back to the dealership and went around with the sales person, convinced him i didn't need it and it was a weekend car (which was true) and low balled them and they took it. I have 50k miles on it and love it. It stresses me out to put miles on it - wish I could enjoy it more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1994 Mazda Miata
NeedlessKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
My current Camaro is a boring story, got bored wanted to upgrade, shopped, bought 2012 SS. The salesman had it shipped here from Virginia. I didn't like that particular car when it arrived so it took 3 more weeks before I would accept it. My salesman was frazzled to say the least, very difficult sale for him. I tipped him 100 dollars for his trouble while him and another salesman cleaned my wheels themselves, muttering under their breath the whole time that their lot boys suck.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Of course my first Camaro was a better story, I won it from Snap-on tools. I took delivery of an orange 2LT RS on the last day of June, 2009 to achieve rock start status. Mine was the first most people had seen, and it was (mostly) free.

I tinted the windows the first week I had it, I needed some privacy that first year, people were insane about the site of the new Camaro.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
My story goes back to my first car purchase when I was 14. I bought a 1978 Z28 project. Then when I hit driving age I still wasnt finished, so needed wheels. I went through two jumkers my aunt gave me, then I bought a 1985 Trans Am. I drove that for five years and it turned into a bit of a project as well. After five years of ownership someone crossed the double yellow and destroyed it. So I sold left over parts and my '78 to buy a 2002 Camaro V6 M5. I had that for five years and the engine developed a knock. This takes us to August 2015 where I sold the '02 for $1000 and bought the 2010 2SS/RS with just under 29,000 miles on it. First week I bought it I drove out to Michigan from lower NY for Woodward dream cruise. Since then the only interesting story was that I was pulled over for racing a 2001'ish M3 on the highway...I won and got out of the ticket. Since then I have been driving slow I was too stressed out to do that anymore. I went on Power Tour in 2009 with my Trans Am, I hope to do that with the 2010 next year.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
BeastMode

Drives: 2011 SGM 1SS/RS M6
I had a 2001 Camaro SS in college, absolutely loved that car. Even more so, I loved my then girlfriend. I ended up selling thr Camaro in order to buy an engagement ring, and give us some cash to get going on life. At the time she had no idea the real reason I sold it - I told her it was because it was completely impractical and old. She absolutely loved that car too, we had a lot of good memories in it.

After we got married (about a year after I sold it) my wife ended up going back to school as the job market was tough in her field, and she was looking to add to her skills (both degrees in types of medical imaging).

A few months after she finished up her second degree, about 4 years after I sold my 2001, I was tooling around online just looking at cars on craigslist. She suggested we just go look, knowing what I had given up over the past few years, and a week later we picked up the car in my signature.

At this point I dont know who likes the car more ha, I think it is going to be in our garage for a loong time.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #11
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I remember you. You make those gaming videos on YouTube or something and already posted a thread like this a while back
Old 03-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #12
Tricksta

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I wanted it, I bought it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #13
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksta View Post
I wanted it, I bought it.
That is a riveting story. The twist at the end had me on the edge of my seat.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
AP90

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
My car's story is somewhat boring but ill tell it anyways. August of 2015, my Cadillac CTS just wasn't running right. Took it to the shop and it needed 3k worth of work. Pretty much what the car would be worth. So I said I didn't want to spend the money to fix it. Took my time looking for cars as I had a couple company vehicles to drive in the meantime. I was dead set on getting a 4x4 truck. Looked at them forever. Then I came across a great deal on a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Was ready to purchase it, but had it inspected before hand. The shop called me back and said to take it back and run away. Needed all kinds of work and they said with 15k miles they didn't know how something could be driven that hard to need the work done to it. So i passed up on that in December of '15. Kept on the hunt for that right truck. Finally in late January of '16 I found one that I loved. Was going to purchase it but something in me wasn't right about purchasing it. It was more of a hassle and wasn't excited about it at all. Talked to my girlfriend and told her how A truck was what was practical and useful but I really wanted a sports car. Specifically a camaro. She said well if thats what you want then why don't you buy one then. So a week later I found my Rally Yellow 2010 SS RS with upgraded ZL1 front end and couldn't wait to get it. Thats how your supposed to feel when you buy a car.
AP90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, camaro, story