Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #1
BRZN

Drives: 2012 1LT
Rock Guards are on!

I picked up a set of the ZL1 Style Rock Guards from Peter Petruzzelli at Show Stopper Accessores for my daughter's 2012 1LT, a nice little Christmas present for her. I finally got the chance yesterday to put them on with the help of another member here, Reichler, and the use of a buddies garage and lift.

Up on the lift to get everything right at arms reach, with no bending over required:

Right Front one installed:

I placed a strip of Scotch 3M VHB double stick tape to the fender lip to help secure the guards up front. There are two metal clips as well as the lower portion being secured by the two #20 torx fasteners that hold the inner fender liner, but the tape should make sure the thing's not going to be moving at all.
How it looks from the side installed:

Here's Charlie finishing up the left rear, notice the little tab of red tape at the top? There is double stick tape already attached to the rear guards, it secures them to the inside of the rear bumper side. Once all the torx fasteners were reinstalled he pulled the red tab to expose the sticky side to the inner bumper:

The rears are genuine GM ZL1 rock guards, the fronts are cut from ABS plastic and fit the shape of the body lines down the sides really, pretty well.
Finished:

We'd tinted the side marker lights a few weeks ago with Rust-Oleum Lens Tint and it blocked a bit too much of the light from the stock bulbs. While the car was up in the air with the inner fenders loosened we put in a set of these:

Light output is so much better. At night, Yellow/Orange light can now be seen up front, and Red light at the rear.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
put them on a lift to install? wish I had that set up! laid on my back and did mine in the drive way but they significantly reduce rock chips on the gill area!!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
BrianN34

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Looks great. I need to get a set of these too. I've been getting nervous about the way the roads have been lately, and I've already noticed some slight dings where rocks have already hit. Where did you pick a set of these up?

Last edited by BrianN34; 06-16-2016 at 02:29 PM.
BrianN34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #4
BRZN

Read the very first sentence, click the hyper link.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:07 PM   #5
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I got mine (front only) on ebay for $40. Took about 10 minutes per guard. Didn't need a lift, just turned the wheels to allow access to the 2 torx screws (T20), and install 2 clips.

If you have experience, and the tools to cut them, you can buy some cheap at the auto stores and make your own.

I initially used the clips as your installer did, but found that plastic moved with heat and cold, re-installed with 3M 2 sided tape, excellent bond and no more debris between guards and car.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:15 AM   #6
BRZN

You're right, the fronts are just flat abs plastic, as I'd stated in the OP. Unless you have a template to follow, you're just taking a stab at what will work and look right along the body lines.
Also correct, you don't need a lift. You can do this install in the driveway. Let's see, I live in the NE, it's January, it had been raining for a couple days, the temps were right at freezing, and I have access to a lift. I'm going to use the lift every time!

"as your installer did"? That was a buddy of mine and I. Not often does anyone but I touch my vehicles.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZN View Post
You're right, the fronts are just flat abs plastic, as I'd stated in the OP. Unless you have a template to follow, you're just taking a stab at what will work and look right along the body lines.
Also correct, you don't need a lift. You can do this install in the driveway. Let's see, I live in the NE, it's January, it had been raining for a couple days, the temps were right at freezing, and I have access to a lift. I'm going to use the lift every time!

"as your installer did"? That was a buddy of mine and I. Not often does anyone but I touch my vehicles.

Sorry I didn't see the part in the OP that said you were doing this in NE, (your caption says Denver,PA???), but yes given the now stated circumstances in which the work was performed, a garage was a better option.

And it was someone other then yourself who installed them, albeit your friend, but he was the "installer".

This post was directed more at BrianN34's request at where you can find these type of guards vs. showstoppers. Unless you want to overpay for them.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #8
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Sorry I didn't see the part in the OP that said you were doing this in NE, (your caption says Denver,PA???), but yes given the now stated circumstances in which the work was performed, a garage was a better option.

And it was someone other then yourself who installed them, albeit your friend, but he was the "installer".

This post was directed more at BrianN34's request at where you can find these type of guards vs. showstoppers. Unless you want to overpay for them.
I'm not his "installer"; BRZN and I did it together. I have the same exact ones on my '13 SS so helped him put his on his daughters car.

My front ones are attached with 3M tape only. If you re-read his initial post, we used the clips and 3M tape on her car since it's a daily driver and that combo would provide the most secure install.

As far as making your own? Yeah, sure, if you have a template to go off of that would be great. Not having a template, the chances that they would turn out looking like crap is nearly certain.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Good job as usual Dave & Charlie!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote