Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Dyno Results new engine/cam combo

SO those who know me from here who knows if they are around...so some history, this is my second Camaro 5th gen the first a triple black l99 vert I traded off after a year for my 2013 crt ls3 coupe with Npp. Then in short time I had a CAI, SP headers with cats, and the TSP 235/239 cam for at 491 hp and 448 tq peak numbers a real nice radical cam. Well I crapped the bed with that one after about 10k on the odometer when a DIP in a econobox pulled right in front of my bumper as I passed a Van..anyway in emergency situation the POS stock shifter that never quite liked to line up 3-4 gate was not having a third downshift while breaking so I crapped and hit first at about 80ish and it engine broke the car as I was light on the brakes and then did a hole shot screaming like a banshee around the econoturd.
Months later a slight ticking was the first spring breaking and I thought...exhaust.. no in a day or so driving it maybe 15 miles it went from getting it checked out at the local tire store, after running a code to loosing the second spring...after having replaced a plug from repeated misfires that should have gave me a hint....DAH
Yes it died right at the turn to my street trying to limp it home to tear a valve cover off as it was stumbling and having trouble keeping idle at stops..... ( once I had a hose fall off a cheapo catch can that did about the exact same thing). ...anyway wish I had towed it home tore the top end off, or better yet towed it to my tuner for the needed neew pushrods and springs but noooo One TINK and that was it in a fraction of a second,,, new engine needed .

My car being a daily driver I wanted to blame this or that, but crap I knew when I tore it open it was all on me. Thinking the .675 springs being more prone to breakage and the lift already hard on the springs I determined to build more for torque as that's what moves a heavy turd, and more for reliability as its a Daily driver. Not that I had a problem with reliability except for the amount of abuse a set of springs will forgive.... but hey the stiffer they are the more they are brittle. SO I went 428 stroker, compression up to 11 to 1 now, and stock gmpp ported heads with a much milder cam and just .650 springs, I went from 235/239 .639/.623 112 LSA
to cam motions stage 3 +.010 intake, ( did not speak to KIP just dude there...)

223/234 .613/.578 114+4 was new cam lost a lot of duration ,lift and ,LSA to try and see how it drives better and maybe make more power under the curve. I knew with stroking and porting heads I was in a fight to match hp and would surpass torque and wondered just how much I would loose versus gain and well I am happy with the results but wish I was going big or staying home.... yet I have been there and done that and its my driver that someday If I do get another car would go around .650 lift cam someday but for now I need to have reliability more and having seen how a built engine lost like no feel to its power right up to the end I know I need check the upper valve train more.... which was always easier on conventional SBC motors with flat tappet cams no coils in the way and dust cover etc.

I could also see getting someday maybe MAST or other heads made ls7 to ls3 I think I have seen that done and go MSD airforce someday and gain with this cam .50 on the specs with 1.8 rockers but wonder about the geometry involved or just plunk in a bigger cam some day and reap the numbers along with a Vararam intake X factor whatever..... if it gets made, other than that Fast is all that's out there really other than sheet metal and firewall hacking and heat .... Anyway dreams are like.....

SO to explain the sheets: one the original 376 with the TSP cam and just CAI, SP headers and HFC, the other 428 Cammotion stage 3+ gmpp heads.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #2
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Nice, good numbers
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:13 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

And interpreting results I was like what...LOL I now have more torque than HP...lol I thought the number was the hp and starting scribbling on it what not... And noticed I did gain all under the curve big time I have 40 more ft lbs off the bat My minimum HP numbers are up +20 hp and 160/180 +40 ftlbs 336/376 its the dang tracking numbers being different on the sides that really throws me off..and I know its harder to read, and AVG hp is up to 359/385 +26 and AVG torque 409/441 up 32.

I know that if I had a more aggressive cam I could easily get Much larger numbers as for me though its not all about the numbers right now in the HP department its more about getting heavy object a to point b fast and reliable..LOL
And definitely feel the difference in the low end torque banging through the gears not wanting to be fishy with TC on.....

I notice on the lines the torque plateau is real nice now with a wider LSA but mostly from stroking it and starts off about 375 ft lbs at 2500 versus the TSP cam engine gained right to the end in hp yet its torque dropped off at a rate less than the milder cam, I am wishing I had stayed with the TSP cam but hey I was playing it safe on tear down and had that cam in hand from cam motion to do what it accomplished. My brake vacuum probably thanks me...LOL Ignore that spike in the AFR in the second its just there...lol seen it before its from turning on and off stuff while tuning heck the friggin 02 fell off the exhaust at the end...lol I know its hard to compare one stroked and ported the other with a more aggressive cam. I would imagine too with the mods I have the more aggressive cam would have gained at least 25 more hp and torque if not even more as the bigger you go the more the stroking and porting matter, and someday I will I do really want a good intake to go with it though......... come on Vararam VRX... LOL

SO what I accomplished .. You can be the judge, I wanted a engine more powerful on the end where I use it mainly and that's what I got, I also wanted one not to worry about for a while until this recent bed crapping incident is down the road a while as I have to live this crap down at work....WTF... the funny thing is the valve train is noisier now with this milder cam and its springs than my last cam with the typewriter sound, but hey I am not complaining it quiets when the oil is up to temp, god I saw a guy with a z06 there at the tuner and he had just done exhaust, but he had installed his clutch and man the chatter from it was horrible...LOL and I an sure Wong didn't want to say hey well you did it.....LOL . MY thanks go out to as always Tommy Wong of Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver I love my car though I care about the numbers its a case of not so much right now...let me catch my breath my wallets on fire.........LOL SO I look forward to someday swapping out the CAM and intake and seeing what that nets me, maybe when I trade out springs time around 25k on the springs....or ..LOL I am a addict too....... Modifications ....ARGGGHHHHH LOL I need to go play my Fallout 4 now and decompress....

Last edited by christianchevell; 03-13-2016 at 09:05 AM.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:07 AM   #4
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Shitt load of tq everywhere on a big plateau; must be fun on streets that is for sure! Its a tad small I think but you had your goals and you stick to it, good thing.

Go big or go home is cool to say, but for a street car where *I spend most of the time 2500-5000* I like to have good power/tq there. I almost think I should have gone 225-230 TSP, but went with 231/236. Not unstalled yet.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #5
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
Very good numbers and on a Mustang dyno at that.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #6
briancamaross

Drives: 2011 ss 2ss auto camaro
I'm doing the tsp 235/239 cam this week.
briancamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

you'll like that cam nice healthy lope, pulls like a freight train straight to the moon..lol.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
briancamaross

Thanks can't wait to put the cam in Wednesday or Thursday with my mods just make a lot of power ud pulley 2 inch tsp headers no cats stock mufflers ... tune vararm cai 160 t stat.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Kip Fabre

Drives: 2010 Corvette
Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
And interpreting results I was like what...LOL I now have more torque than HP...lol I thought the number was the hp and starting scribbling on it what not... And noticed I did gain all under the curve big time I have 40 more ft lbs off the bat My minimum HP numbers are up +20 hp and 160/180 +40 ftlbs 336/376 its the dang tracking numbers being different on the sides that really throws me off..and I know its harder to read, and AVG hp is up to 359/385 +26 and AVG torque 409/441 up 32.

I know that if I had a more aggressive cam I could easily get Much larger numbers as for me though its not all about the numbers right now in the HP department its more about getting heavy object a to point b fast and reliable..LOL
And definitely feel the difference in the low end torque banging through the gears not wanting to be fishy with TC on.....

I notice on the lines the torque plateau is real nice now with a wider LSA but mostly from stroking it and starts off about 375 ft lbs at 2500 versus the TSP cam engine gained right to the end in hp yet its torque dropped off at a rate less than the milder cam, I am wishing I had stayed with the TSP cam but hey I was playing it safe on tear down and had that cam in hand from cam motion to do what it accomplished. My brake vacuum probably thanks me...LOL Ignore that spike in the AFR in the second its just there...lol seen it before its from turning on and off stuff while tuning heck the friggin 02 fell off the exhaust at the end...lol I know its hard to compare one stroked and ported the other with a more aggressive cam. I would imagine too with the mods I have the more aggressive cam would have gained at least 25 more hp and torque if not even more as the bigger you go the more the stroking and porting matter, and someday I will I do really want a good intake to go with it though......... come on Vararam VRX... LOL

SO what I accomplished .. You can be the judge, I wanted a engine more powerful on the end where I use it mainly and that's what I got, I also wanted one not to worry about for a while until this recent bed crapping incident is down the road a while as I have to live this crap down at work....WTF... the funny thing is the valve train is noisier now with this milder cam and its springs than my last cam with the typewriter sound, but hey I am not complaining it quiets when the oil is up to temp, god I saw a guy with a z06 there at the tuner and he had just done exhaust, but he had installed his clutch and man the chatter from it was horrible...LOL and I an sure Wong didn't want to say hey well you did it.....LOL . MY thanks go out to as always Tommy Wong of Wongs performance engineering in Vancouver I love my car though I care about the numbers its a case of not so much right now...let me catch my breath my wallets on fire.........LOL SO I look forward to someday swapping out the CAM and intake and seeing what that nets me, maybe when I trade out springs time around 25k on the springs....or ..LOL I am a addict too....... Modifications ....ARGGGHHHHH LOL I need to go play my Fallout 4 now and decompress....
If you really want a bigger cam let me know I will do a swap out At NC to you
Kip Fabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #10
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Kip Fabre rocks, world class
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Thanks KIP, but I am playing it safe for a while until my wallet cools down...LOL I have to daily drive this beast and its performance I would say is very torquey and I like it that way, numbers are nice for paper but in real world.... well I have close to zl1 power N/A and that's pretty good. I should be about 550/550 flywheel..... pretty good for me. I am not going to do a swap for a while and wanting to do bushings not just comp upgrades to the trunnions when I do it, and of course the whole new springs and a intake...if VRX will just come out.... and if applicable 102 tb, as I know a ported is nice yet it really probably makes 0 hp kind of like a UDP.. LOL And think of a more in the .650 lift ball park would get my numbers way up, yet would of course worry about springs............
Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Well, hp numbers aren't bad, but the torque curve is quite impressive. Kudos to you for having the discipline to hold that motor back for the sake of streetability and longevity.
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #13
briancamaross

Well i got everthing out of my car all the new parts should be here tomorrow from tsp and home to install tomorrow and tune. I cant wait,
Old 03-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #14
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Good luck I hope you have things right.