Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-20-2016, 02:13 PM   #15
OvErMiNd

Drives: 2015 2SS 1LE Summit White
I too have had these tires in 285/35 and 305/35 rear for about 5k miles. I agree they don't bite as well at all, but paired with an aggressive alignment, they can still pull consistent 1.1g @ 65-85 and show way less tire wear. If you're not tracking the car at the time, these should be your staple. I actually feel like they get much better launch traction as I was always blowing my g2s off unless they were piping hot. The AS/2 you can punch it in the rain and barely a slip if any. Highly recommend for daily use!
Old 03-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #16
cowboy casey

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS 1LE
4000 miles on mine so far, from -10 to 95 degrees these tires are GREAT.. No they are not G-2's, but for DD duty they are perfect.. I really do think these are getting MUCH better traction than the G-2's here in OK, but that is because it can go from 30 degrees to 80 degrees in the same day, not something you want to drive the GY in

cowboy casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #17
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Don't have many miles on mine yet (<500) but I've already noticed that the road noise is a bit more pronounced that the Conti DWS's I had on before. Other than that, smooth and sticky.

I'm currently running at around 36 psi in all four. 40 makes me feel like the tire wear will be too much in the center and 32 was really nasty feeling. Balance was off and felt sloppy.

Here's hoping for long life and good traction in the wet. Today will be the first time in the rain with them. Plan on DD'ing them for the next however long they last with 5k rotation front to rear.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #18
RobG
RobG

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE, NPP, LT, CD
I had the 285/35 squared BFGs A/S installed back in late Jan early February.

I purchased the tires for a few reasons.

Cost - The least expensive

Tread Life - Significantly more than the G2s even though they do not get rotated due to the staggered nature of the ZL1/1LE wheels

Cold Weather - While I don't drive mine in the snow or rain I do get it out on dry days year round.

Positives: Like others, launches and fast exits from turns in any temps and these tires stick! The G2s were fine with this as well as long as it 85*+ and the tires were warmed up and had good tread left. The road noise between the BFGs and the G2s is noticeably quieter. However I am not convinced one of my G2s wasn't slightly out of balance to begin with. These tires corner significantly better in the cold. Yes I drove my G2s in the winter months down to 25* and yes they felt like bowling balls and were scary. The BFGs seem to fill the wheel wells vertically a bit more than the G2s.

Negatives: While the BFGs are great in the cold I find them a little less responsive when it warms up outside. I have heard others describe the sidewalls as not being as stiff and I would agree. Especially when air temps are above 75-80*. Others may ding me for this but the BFGs leave me not feeling as connected to the car on any road surface or terrain. This maybe the biggest disappointment of all. I purchased a 1LE over several others including an SS, ZL1, GT500 and C5GS because the 1LE was RAW NA experience I was looking for!

Would I buy the BFG A/S again? Probably not. I miss the "tightness" of the G2s but I don't miss the tread wear of the G2s. I realize that the G2s were a summer only tire but man, they are scary on dry winter days.

What will I do next? I will do one of two things. I will either by set of ZL1 Replica Wheels and move the BFGs to them and put G2s on the original wheels or the next time have either Nitto Invos or MPSS mounted on the original wheels and drive them year around. I am leaning toward the latter.

I also miss the tread pattern on the G2s which I like out of all of the street legal tires for this car. The BFG A/S tread pattern makes them look like snow tires for a steam roller INMHO.
RobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:25 AM   #19
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Thanks for posting this information about these tires. I'll will need a new set of tires in the near future. My car is my DD and I got 22K on the fronts and replaced the rears at 16K. Hate all the debris that these tires pick up, but they make up for that, when your on the ramps to the Interstate, etc. How do the BFG's sound when you by accident? I used to make the Radial TA's on my 69 Z/28 screem by accident!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 AM   #20
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Thanks for posting this information about these tires. I'll will need a new set of tires in the near future. My car is my DD and I got 22K on the fronts and replaced the rears at 16K. Hate all the debris that these tires pick up, but they make up for that, when your on the ramps to the Interstate, etc. How do the BFG's sound when you by accident? I used to make the Radial TA's on my 69 Z/28 screem by accident!
They hook up way better than the G2's from a dead stop. With a little persuasion they'll scream though and put on a nice smoke show

Wait you got 16k on the goodyears? I take it you don't do track days?
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor142 View Post
They hook up way better than the G2's from a dead stop. With a little persuasion they'll scream though and put on a nice smoke show

Wait you got 16k on the goodyears? I take it you don't do track days?
Good to know, smokey and screams, check! 16K was the rears, still going on the original fronts. Haven't done any track days yet. I have left more than one car in my mirrors on ramps. I do catch 7 ounces of oil in my CC every 5K miles, so I'm doing something right!