Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-09-2016, 09:45 PM   #15
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarc2011 View Post
Thank you for everyone offering helpful information!! I finally found the source of the issue
Care to share ...
Old 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #16
Oscarc2011

Drives: Camaro V6
Will do, for my case I was running a wire from my headight harness which allows me to have my halos on anytime the car engine is running. The wire replaced the #15 5A fuse with an add-a-fuse wire with a 10A fuse which powers the halos. I followed troubleshooting instructions on a thread which checks to see if you have a P0650 code (link is provided on 1st page of this thread). I replaced the wire which powers the halos with the 5A fuse that was originally in place, after switching out the fuses the issue was solved and my CEL is now lighting up during ingnition. Thanks again for everyone that provided help and hopefully my explanation makes sense.
Oscarc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #17
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
P0650

Glad you found it! Everyone uses that circuit and that fuse is usually the cause...

You have to be carful with the add a circuit as you really should only put like fuse in it...( if a 5 amp fuse was in there before the add a circuit, replace it with 2, 5 amps in the add a circuit).

Took me days to find that was the problem and then replace the fuse. I figured it out once I located the ECM fuses and realized I had an add a circuit in there...

#15 5 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box runs the MIL light circuit...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 04-09-2016 at 10:57 PM.
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:58 PM   #18
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
If you follow my link on the first page, it will show you the details about the MIL circuit..

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
ChevyCamaroGirl

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS RS BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
If you follow my link on the first page, it will show you the details about the MIL circuit..

-Don
I just took my 2010 to get it's smog test. Got a FAILED P0650 - MIL Control Circuit/Open. I have so many parts on my car, I was shocked it was the MIL light and not something else. About 2 years ago I had issues with my remote start randomly not working and had this code. Today the smog tech had no idea what was causing their smog system to recognize an open circuit. After I cleared the MIL 2 years ago, it's not thrown the code again, but the smog OBD is still detecting it.

After reading your post about the add a circuit, I remember having the MIL code after installing the mail slot scanner, which happens to be powered with an add a circuit fuse. Gonna unplug it and try to retest. Sure hope this is the issue. Fingers crossed...
ChevyCamaroGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #20
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
It will only fail an inspection if it's on.. There is no test for the light being out.
I'd find out what's up and get it fixed though.. CEL is not something you simply ignore.
Not exactly true. When I was doing emissions in Salt Lake County, it was part of the test. If it didn't turn on during the self test it failed. But yes, it's a good idea to have that indicator in good working order.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #21
ChevyCamaroGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Not exactly true. When I was doing emissions in Salt Lake County, it was part of the test. If it didn't turn on during the self test it failed. But yes, it's a good idea to have that indicator in good working order.
I have no CEL illuminating on my cluster along with the MIL P0650 code. What do you think would cause that?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #22
ChevyCamaroGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammdo View Post
Glad you found it! Everyone uses that circuit and that fuse is usually the cause...

You have to be carful with the add a circuit as you really should only put like fuse in it...( if a 5 amp fuse was in there before the add a circuit, replace it with 2, 5 amps in the add a circuit).

Took me days to find that was the problem and then replace the fuse. I figured it out once I located the ECM fuses and realized I had an add a circuit in there...

#15 5 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box runs the MIL light circuit...

-Don
I took out the add a fuse I had in #15 (add a fuse had two 5 amp fuses)and replaced just the one 5 amp back in. I cleared the P0650 code, but it came right back. My check engine light isn't even illuminating, and hasn't for 2 years. Are there other things that would make the check engine light not come on, beside a burned out light?
Old 04-18-2016, 04:49 PM   #23
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Here in San Antonio I got mine inspected with the light on and they passed me.
jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #24
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCamaroGirl View Post
I have no CEL illuminating on my cluster along with the MIL P0650 code. What do you think would cause that?
DTC P0650Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

It could be something as simple as a burned out bulb, to a open circuit or bad pcm. The only way to know is to verify the bulb and wire.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
Oscarc2011

The good thing is that the issue was actually caused by a mistake on my side. The new harness for my headlights which has the option to have my halos on all the time has a add-a-fuse wire that connects into fuse #15. The problem was that I did not realize I had to put in the 5a fuse into the new add-a-fuse connector so I wasn't completing the circuit which caused my CEL to not light up during ignition. After adding the 5a fuse that was originally in place it solved the issue, and now I have a working CEL, I greatly appreciate everyone's help! The good thing is that it wasn't a faulty light or anything worse.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #26
ChevyCamaroGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarc2011 View Post
The good thing is that the issue was actually caused by a mistake on my side. The new harness for my headlights which has the option to have my halos on all the time has a add-a-fuse wire that connects into fuse #15. The problem was that I did not realize I had to put in the 5a fuse into the new add-a-fuse connector so I wasn't completing the circuit which caused my CEL to not light up during ignition. After adding the 5a fuse that was originally in place it solved the issue, and now I have a working CEL, I greatly appreciate everyone's help! The good thing is that it wasn't a faulty light or anything worse.
So the harness made your cel not light up at all? Did the cel start to work again immediately after adding the fuse, or did it take time for it to work again?
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 PM   #27
Oscarc2011

It wasn't necessarily the harness it's just that I did not notice the second fuse inlet which was where the 5a fuse was suppose to go. As soon as I put in the fuse the CEL automatically lit up during ignition.