Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 PM   #29
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
The sticker on the caliper? Caliper doesnt get nearly close to the pad temps so tough to correlate. Caliper temps on a really hot set up reach about 200 degrees, those pads as you can usually hit limits around 650-700, rotor usually runs about 10-15% hotter. At around 800 C the rotor will glow orange hence why I was surprised by a 950C pad callout, that is way to hot for a cast iron rotor.
DBA rotors come with temp-activated paint; perhaps measuring the rotor temp could be a good indicator, too. Not that I'd buy DBA rotors just for that.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM   #30
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
The heat emitting from the front is complete perception, as I did not take a temp reading. I just have enough experience with tracking this car that I have a distinct memory. I can tell you a few minutes of driving and the pads are fine for driving on the street. I will admit that I am rarely on the street! Right now I'm on jack stands with my ret axles removed due to leak, as well as a mangled oil filter that I cannot get off. I had to order this $50 tool to remove.
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #31
JRitt

Drives: C5 Z06
Glad the brakes exceeded your expectations and met ours summit1le!

Quote:
Never heard of them, you got any info on it compared to the ferodos essex has listed? Ferodo has nice.plots if you google them with friction over temp, what made you go with these?
The Circo M207 pad is one that we've been testing in NASCAR Sprint Cup. The parent company behind them is Winmax, located in Japan. I decided to give them a run on summit1le's car since we were seeing such excellent results on Cup cars and on our dyno. The M207 compound has a very high max operating temp, and I can't imagine anyone ever fading them with one of our brake kits. We're still ironing out the details of the relationship.

The Circo M207 also has a considerably higher mu than the Ferodo DSUNO and DS1.11.

Quote:
That Ferodo brake fluid looks good too, its actually got a higher dry boiling point than SRF Castrol too at way less the cost.
Ferodo Super Formula Brake Fluid is an excellent fluid that often flies under the radar. It's definitely superior to the always popular Motul RBF600. That is an important catch on the boiling points, and here's why:

Brake fluid bottles typically list two different boiling points, “wet” and “dry”. Yet, they do not mention which, if either is more appropriate. The short answer for racers is: those who flush their fluid often should pay much more attention to the dry boiling point.

The wet boiling point might more appropriately be called a “very wet” boiling point. Yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic, meaning that it tends to absorb moisture from the air to which it is exposed. But, the rating is based on about 3% water content in the fluid. If you live in an area where “muggy” is a common term, do not have bellows in the reservoir separating the fluid from the outside air, and you have not cracked open a bleed screw in two years, you might have a 3% water concentration. The wet boiling point is intended for OE applications where little attention is ever paid to the brake system once the car leaves the dealership.

Most racers flush or at least bleed their brakes much more frequently. The system is never totally free of water. However, the amount of water in the system is much less than 3%. Think more along the lines of 0.3%. If the dry bling point is 600 F and the wet boiling point is 400 F, then the recently flushed boiling point is likely around 580 F, which is much closer to the dry boiling point. If a reservoir does not have a set of bellows and the car is going into storage for more than a month, one should seal off the reservoir cap vent. A rubber band and plastic bag work well and are easily identified as needing to be removed before driving. This reduces water absorption. Otherwise, proper bellows do a good job on their own.

Quote:
Essex and AP have put together quite a kit.

I have known Jeff Ritter there for over 10 years and worked with him on a number of projects. Awesome kits for sure!
Thanks for the vote of confidence Anthony!

FYI...the production version of this brake kit will start shipping next week. If anyone is interested feel free to contact Essex or LG Motorsports.

Keep beating on them summit1le!
JRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:18 AM   #32
Airway Monkey

Drives: 2015 2SS/1LE
Awesome post and review. Subscribed for updates!!

-Matt
Airway Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:20 PM   #33
summit1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airway Monkey View Post
Awesome post and review. Subscribed for updates!!

-Matt
Thanks!!
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
51LE50

Drives: 2015 1LE, 2SS, Bright Yellow
Arrrgh! Yet one more thing to add to the list! These look really sweet.
51LE50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #35
summit1le

They are even cooler in person.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #36
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Jeff, you got a friction vs temp plot for the circos?