Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 04-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #127
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
OP's profiles says drives a 2010 Camaro Z/LT RS. "I have this friend that..." hmmmm. Just sayin', lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #128
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
OP - If nothing else, advise your friend to take it to the local DMV or closest State Police / Highway Patrol office and get it checked out. Best to remove all personal property and have someone follow her there. She'll likely need a ride home. This scam has gone on for ever. It almost always involves a stolen vehicle and or stolen plates. This also allows her a legit time & place to explain what happened with the purchase and if applicable, make a fraud report and get the police involved if the guy actually lives in the area.

Better this way than getting pulled over late one night, and a registration check comes back stolen, and used in an armed robbery 2 days prior. Occupants should be considered armed and dangerous etc. etc.

This makes for a very scary scenario for all involved. If she's wearing nice clothes at the time, she won't like being forced to lay in the street or being handcuffed and stuffed in a B&W's backseat for a few hours.

Hope things get resolved.
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:18 AM   #129
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Copy off the ad and start getting all the documentation you can. Once that cl ad is deleted you lose a piece of proof
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #130
Shinebrightx

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z/LT RS
Skimmed through all the replies.. Some were helpful others were calling bs which I've already said idc if you think the story is bs. Never have I posted anything on here that was trolling or whatever you all call it.. But anyway thanks for the people who actually gave advice and said it was illegal. Unfortunately even though I tried to help them and tell them they were pretty much screwed, there was some info I didn't know about as well which just made this thing more confusing and I took myself out of the equation. Their parents hired a family lawyer, and he told them the same thing. So now they're kinda just stuck. Like others have said, this was a case that they were excited and just didn't realize what they were getting into. Especially when both of them grew up with families having money. So throwing this money out I guess in the end doesn't hurt them.. Their loss now, but they're enjoying the car.. Isnt the fact that if they like it that's all that matters? Lol
Shinebrightx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:24 AM   #131
Geelouise

Drives: 2011 v6
Sorry things didn't work out with them...I knew already that once they hired the lawyer he would be able to tell them more of what was going on I guess growing up rich does have its downfalls...they spent money like it was nothing on something that wasn't work half of what they paid..but like you said they're happy...hahaha
Geelouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #132
Shinebrightx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geelouise View Post
Sorry things didn't work out with them...I knew already that once they hired the lawyer he would be able to tell them more of what was going on I guess growing up rich does have its downfalls...they spent money like it was nothing on something that wasn't work half of what they paid..but like you said they're happy...hahaha
Yeah thanks.. It's not my problem anyway but I thought I'd at least find out if it was illegal what happened. My opinion is that it was not because they didn't do research before. They didn't want to get a lawyer, but once they told their parents they were like yeah we're getting a lawyer. They haven't kept me in the loop so I'm wondering if they're not allowed to tell what's going on now?
Old 04-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #133
Geelouise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinebrightx View Post
Yeah thanks.. It's not my problem anyway but I thought I'd at least find out if it was illegal what happened. My opinion is that it was not because they didn't do research before. They didn't want to get a lawyer, but once they told their parents they were like yeah we're getting a lawyer. They haven't kept me in the loop so I'm wondering if they're not allowed to tell what's going on now?
Could be.. If an investigating is started they're not allowed to talk about it to outsides in case they say the wrong thing I believe...it's probably best if you're not in the loop..
Old 04-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #134
Geelouise

I had a friend once...in Texas lol.. That bought a mustang right..now he knew it was only a v6 but it had "mods done to it".. With paperwork..and he bought that they WAAAYYYY over what the actual price should
Have been...come to find out none of those mods were on the car.he was screwed. They told him to move on from it..I guess the Texas sun makes people do crazy things hahaha
Old 04-26-2016, 07:55 AM   #135
black.

Drives: IBM 2SS
Can't you just find the previous owner through the vin# and then have the police look them up and let them know the fraud that just happened?
2010 SS, SLP TVS2300, 3.4 pulley, ZR1 injectors, MSD BAP, ZR1 map sensor, CAI intake, Custom Pat G tune, OBX long tube headers, Custom 3inch exhaust (no cats), Koni ST.R struts and shocks, Eibach pro kit sways and 1" lowering springs, CTS-V front brake upgrade.
black. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #136
Shinebrightx

Quote:
Originally Posted by black. View Post
Can't you just find the previous owner through the vin# and then have the police look them up and let them know the fraud that just happened?
Yeah I'm guessing. They weren't gonna go to a lawyer because at first I told them what happened wasn't illegal. The reason I told them that was because its not like they couldn't have checked it out. Ran the vin, got a car fax, CHECKED UNDER THE HOOD. I was under the impression they already did that.. Then when I came on here I ended up telling them that maybe they should go speak the a lawyer because I for one am not an expert at this and others had said it was illegal.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:44 AM   #137
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinebrightx View Post
Yeah I'm guessing. They weren't gonna go to a lawyer because at first I told them what happened wasn't illegal. The reason I told them that was because its not like they couldn't have checked it out. Ran the vin, got a car fax, CHECKED UNDER THE HOOD. I was under the impression they already did that.. Then when I came on here I ended up telling them that maybe they should go speak the a lawyer because I for one am not an expert at this and others had said it was illegal.
I don't know, misrepresenting a product, especially to the tune of creating $15-$20K of false value has to fall under some kind anti fraud statute.

I understand "buyer beware", "due diligence", as "as is where is" plays a part, however, there has to be some level of accountability for a seller to truthfully represent what they are selling. Now I may have skipped a few pages here, and if I'm repeating, or missing info sorry. But if the seller advertises a ZL1, then a potential buyer, thinking they are doing due diligence, may research what a ZL1 is, and what it's current market value is. The seller, by listing it a price well below the ZL1 market, is creating a trap for the unexperienced buyer. Point is, the seller must be held to certain level of trust. Even if they do not have a case in criminal court, I would certainly think they have a pretty good case in civil court. I believe fraud to the point of $15-$20K is pretty substantial. Just because they did not have the car checked out independently, which is a good idea, doesn't relieve the seller of the fact they misrepresented the car and benefited greatly due to the misrepresentation. I don't see how a lawyer could/would walk away from this.

And yes, as a car guy, the first thing I would've done is pop the hood and listen to the engine. However, I get the feeling that even if these folks did lift the hood, they wouldn't have the slightest idea what they were looking at. This is why I say there needs to be some accountability for the seller.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #138
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
OP, in your first posts, you stated she text you a picture of the ZL1. Post it up, so we can see it.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #139
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Attached Images

Old 04-26-2016, 09:16 AM   #140
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Time to unsubscribe, the horse is dead.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote