Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-09-2016, 04:56 AM   #15
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Depends on the octane boost. Torco works wonders and can easily raise 91 or 93 octane to 100 octane.
And does wonders to spark plugs as well. Doesn't hurt them, but mine are twice as orange as the OP's plugs. I'm running about 97-98 octane equivalent(1 quart per 10 gallons).
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #16
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
That orange hue isn't just from octane boosters. It's from the additives in gasoline. I installed new plugs when I did my header install and about 1000 miles later my plugs were far more orange. I used no octane booster. Just 93 octane pump gas.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #17
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
BooneSS, Curious if this is brand specific, what brand of gas do you use??? Do you use the same gas or station all the time. I always run Shell 93 or Mobil 93 as a 2nd choice. My car seems not run as strong on BP. Those are the only three choices I have in Wisconsin for 93. A lot of Harley riders swear by Mobil and I did notice a difference when I switched from BP.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:46 AM   #18
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
Um,.... How do you know the plugs didn't look like that before you added it? I think unless you know for sure they were perfect, you cannot conclude that one use of an additive caused that. Even still, that doesn't look too bad and maybe it wouldn't get any worse. What prompted you to pull the plugs afterwards?
Wish I had the free time you have to just pull the plugs for the hell of it

J
Old 06-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #19
booneSS13

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
Um,.... How do you know the plugs didn't look like that before you added it? I think unless you know for sure they were perfect, you cannot conclude that one use of an additive caused that. Even still, that doesn't look too bad and maybe it wouldn't get any worse. What prompted you to pull the plugs afterwards?
Wish I had the free time you have to just pull the plugs for the hell of it

J
Because I checked my plugs only a couple hundred miles before this andthey looked nothing like that. My engine was still in the break in phase so I was checking them once a week.

This is was about 100mi before
Attached Images

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
booneSS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #20
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
BooneSS, Curious if this is brand specific, what brand of gas do you use??? Do you use the same gas or station all the time. I always run Shell 93 or Mobil 93 as a 2nd choice. My car seems not run as strong on BP. Those are the only three choices I have in Wisconsin for 93. A lot of Harley riders swear by Mobil and I did notice a difference when I switched from BP.
I've been using nothing but Shell V-power 93 octane gas station in the car since I've had it running. That day I put in maybe 5 gallons of 91 I had to used BP. The same day I found a Shell shortly after and put maybe 3/4 of the 93 back in there plus the octane booster. It seems like Shell is the only option in my area for good 93. I did see a K gas stations selling it but I wouldn't trust that

-Fastlane Cold Air Intake, NPP cat back exhaust, Stainless Works LT Headers, 2r max camshaft, Stage 3 Ported Heads (Manley Stainless steel values, titanium retainers, dual valve springs, bronze guides), Wiseco Forged Pistons, K1 Forged Rods, Clevite Bearings, Factory Crankshaft, Comp Cams rocker arm trunion kit, Morel 5315 lifters, JP performance single billet timing chain, Melling oil pump, Spec stage 3+ clutch and flywheel, BMR trailing arms, Nitto 555r 305/35/20.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #21
booneSS13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
OP, now I remember...most octane boosters contain MMT. This is what caused the orange residue on your plugs. It can clog 02 sensors can cats as well. It was used in leaded gasoline and now is used to raise the octane rating in UNleaded gasoline. While I used Torco, and yes it has MMT, I never had this residue. This could be due to the mixture or amount that is used to create said octane booster. The Race gas octane booster that LSX Camaro speaks of also contains MMT.
Yeah I may want to stay away from MMT to be a safe unless it's an extreme emergency. I found this interesting article from Volkswagen
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #22
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by booneSS13 View Post
Yeah I may want to stay away from MMT to be a safe unless it's an extreme emergency. I found this interesting article from Volkswagen
Yea, there is a lot of info out there about MMT AKA Manganese. According to the EPA, MMT is still allowed in U.S. gas along with other additives. The amount is small but it is still there. It may be hard to tell which companies have it in their gas.

https://www.epa.gov/gasoline-standar...e-additive-mmt
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.

Last edited by Black_SS10; 06-09-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
bionick

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Any of the autoparts store ones are junk.

Torco, VP octanium, and a few others are the only ones that actually do anything.
As for right now I would have to disagree with you on that. I logged my car and it was knocking pretty bad. I filled my tank and used a bottle of the Lucas booster and all I had were a couple spots with less than 1* of KR. Before, I had 3's and 4's on the KR table. This testing was done same day and same time, back to back tests. Coincidence? Could be. Maybe my original gas was bad. Although I got The gas at the same station the very next day so I highly doubt that it was bad gas. That right there tells me there is hope. I'll update once this tank runs out and I just use a tank of 91. I'll relog it and see. Sure torco is much better but if you're just wanting to up the octane a bit for knock etc then it could benefit people. My reason for trying it was because I was knocking, I pulled a little bit of timing and was still knocking, and didn't wanna keep pulling so I tried the booster and seemed to solve the KR
Old 06-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #24
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Haven't seen lucas at the local stores, but maybe it works. Only ones I've seen at the NOS and other crap brands.

Either way, torco works FAR FAR FAR better than even lucas.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I used to use a mmt based octane booster in my old 2002 z28 only at the track. Over a year of use(in summer, approx 8 days a month at track), my plugs looked like the inside of a oyster shell, that rainbow translucent look. Car ran ok, but I did notice some issues over time(may not have been octane booster additive) but 02 sensors failed at 35k original miles on car too. Honestly, comparing times with and without the added octane, I did get my best times with the additive. Once I seen the plugs I stopped using the octane booster and paid for the race fuel at track.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #26
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
why isnt anyone concerned for this mans hands jesus guy you need to get that checked you have a condition!
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:22 PM   #27
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I know tons of people that's used Torco for a long time.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #28
dreyesforeal

Drives: 2013 camaro LFX
You should see what lotion does to dry skin tho
dreyesforeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ngk, tune ecu mod rwhp, tuning advice