Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Z28 HLR

Drives: 2015 Z/28 AGM
Paint Protection

Last edited by Z28 HLR; 02-20-2017 at 11:32 PM.
Z28 HLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 09:47 AM   #2
Bone Stock

Drives: 2015 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
I started panicking at 260 miles (mine is red) and noticed swirls in the paint after just a single hand wash.

Sent mine to Detailers Domain in Norwood, NJ to paint correct, Nanolex coat the paint and wheels and a FULL XPel Ultimate wrap.

If a bird can poop on it, it can be wiped off. No need to worry about swirls in the paint anymore, either.

My tab was not cheap, but I know it's fulling protected (total was $6500).
'15 Z28 Red Hot #1179 (sold)
'14 ZL1 Summit White, Recaros, 6M (sold)
Bone Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #3
maroonponyina1LE

Drives: 2015 1LE
This became my primary concern with a 1LE after reading many comments on this site. I went with a Suntek paint protective film. My bill was something like $800 professionally installed. I didn't want to spend the $$ for something like that, but I, like others could hear every little pebble hitting the side of the car!!! I covered the front, lower side panels, "gill" area, and behind the rear wheels.

It was incredibly hard to get any info on differences between Suntek, XPel, and 3M, although if I went with the 3M product, I would definitely get their top of the line product, which I believe may be called the "Scotchguard Pro?" There is a YouTube video out there from a 3M distributor that demonstrates the 3M product doing something a bit better than the other two from a vague memory.

Hope that helps.
maroonponyina1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 AM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonponyina1LE View Post
This became my primary concern with a 1LE after reading many comments on this site. I went with a Suntek paint protective film. My bill was something like $800 professionally installed. I didn't want to spend the $$ for something like that, but I, like others could hear every little pebble hitting the side of the car!!! I covered the front, lower side panels, "gill" area, and behind the rear wheels.

It was incredibly hard to get any info on differences between Suntek, XPel, and 3M, although if I went with the 3M product, I would definitely get their top of the line product, which I believe may be called the "Scotchguard Pro?" There is a YouTube video out there from a 3M distributor that demonstrates the 3M product doing something a bit better than the other two from a vague memory.

Hope that helps.
I spoke with several installers about the Xpel, Suntek and 3M. Xpel Ultimate and Suntek gets very good reviews but everyone states that the 3M will turn yellow in a short time. I went with the Xpel Ultimate I was able to see both Xpel Ultimate and Suntek films and the Xpel Ultimate was a bit thicker and have the longest warranty.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Robbie1227

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z28/2016 Jeep Sahara
I did about 3/4 of my Z in Sun-Tek PPF-C and it's awesome! I did the full nose, hood, heat extractor, fenders, all of the ground effects, all 4 wheel flares, the complete doors, side view mirrors, and the lower halfs of the quarter panels. Cost about $4,200 but worth every penny!
I also added the ZL1 add-ons Rock guards to help deflect some of the projectiles.
I track my car and don't have to worry about anything! I hear the rocks and hunks of rubber peppering my car, and could care less.
When I get home, I use so me Mothers R3 rubber remover and wash her off, then I use some Plexus plastic cleaner and polish and its looks like the day I got it.
Expensive, but worth it to save that factory finish
Plus you can't even see it!!
2015 summit white Z28 #120 TRK DAY
-Sun-Tek PPF-C protection film on 2/3 of the car, Moreno Camber plates, American Racing 2" ceramic coated LT headers and X-pipes with No Cats, Taylor red performance wires, NGK plugs, BTR Stage III Cam, MSD Atomic intake, Nick Williams 102mm throttle body, Stage 2 CNC Ported Heads by WCCH, MGW short throw shifter, oil catch can, and a dyno tune to get me to 587 RWHP and 516 RWTQ

GONE:
2013 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks headers and CAT delete, ATI damper and 10% pulley and balancer!
Results: 576 RWHP - 540 RWTQ

Last edited by Robbie1227; 06-27-2016 at 05:54 AM.
Robbie1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:59 PM   #6
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 HLR View Post
What did it end up costing you?
I used Auto Spa in Atlanta. I did the complete front cap, mirrors, Rear gills, complete rocker panels front to back, inside the door handle pockets, trunk. I think it was around $1600.00 but we did four cars at one time all using the xpel ultimate.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
ericmstepp

Drives: 2014 Camaro Z/28
The only option I can see myself taking is just to wrap the whole car in vinyl. I dont like matte wraps but could go for a pearl white or something like that, sorta like the one in the Jay Leno review. I have put 1500 miles on mine and to be honest the car is taking a beating. I am almost depressed over it. I have to do something quick or my paint will be shot.
ericmstepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 03:29 AM   #8
chip4

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Silver #713
3M Clear protection (5yr warranty) + 3M tint $800, They covered most of the front nose, rear of the front tires and forward of the rear tires. My rear gills and fender flares were getting the brunt of the rock hits decided to have it done at 500 mi.
Some pics:
Attached Images

chip4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
VOIT

Drives: Z/28
I got the car home I had the entire front bumper, (air dam included and the headlights) front of the hood, front of the wheel extensions, the side mirrors and in front of the rear wheels wrapped in PPF. using the SunTek/Xpel patterns. I also installed Rock guards from Zl1 Addons. IMHO that's a must.
VOIT is offline   Reply With Quote