Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 08-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #1
Dooder
Founder of Cocoa Studios™

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS L99
DIY Front License Plate Removal in 10 Steps

This past weekend I had some extra time so I was finally able to get around to removing the dreadful dealer-installed front license plate bracket. Here are the steps I followed in order to leave the front fascia in the best possible condition I could. Inspiration credit goes to user "ec_E92" of www.m3post.com. Attempt at your own risk.

Resources needed: 3M Bondo glazing and spot putty, Variety pack fine grit wet or dry sandpaper, Utility/ arts craft cutter, ACDelco Touch up paint + clear (your paint color).
Optional Items: Compund (preferably Meguiars M105), polish, DA Polisher.

1.) Remove front license plate bracket from front fascia. Luckily mine was installed with screws from the previous owner, and not studs/flat headed bolts (you could drill the head off if this is the case).

2.) Use a very sharp and precise craft knife to remove excess plastic that was left over from drilling the holes.

3.) Wet sand ridges further. I started with 1000 grit and worked my way up to 2500 (1000->1500->2000->2500), while removing residue and using perpendicular motions relative to the previous grit level.

3.) Tape off paint you want to leave in order to prep for bondo.

4.) Apply bondo and leave a slight cavity for touch up paint and clear later. Make sure you give it enough time to dry so the next step will work.

5.) Wet sand again to smooth down bondo.

6.) Apply touch up paint to cover bondo. Again leave a very slight cavity for clear coat next.

7.) Wet sand again while focusing on using finer/ higher grits (~2000 - 3000). Compound/ polish after wet sanding for best results.

8.) Apply clear coat to cover ALL of the touch up paint. If all of the touch up paint is not covered, it is possible that you will burn though your touch up paint while compounding at a later time.

9.) Wet sand again with fine grits. I highly recommend that you compound, polish, and seal at this time.

10.) Enjoy your new (used) car!

Pics attached.

Thanks for viewing,
Ben
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #2
mcb1

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
Nice job.
mcb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Good job. I've been contemplating this for my car but would need to remount mine Somewhere else so have just left it alone.

I've had much success in the past following a method similar to yours which involved an exacto knife, magnum steel, a battery, touch up paint, sand paper and Polish.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #4
mcb1

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I made a removable plate bracket.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...65&postcount=8
mcb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Dooder
Founder of Cocoa Studios™

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
Good job. I've been contemplating this for my car but would need to remount mine Somewhere else so have just left it alone.

I've had much success in the past following a method similar to yours which involved an exacto knife, magnum steel, a battery, touch up paint, sand paper and Polish.
The battery I assume was for pushing the bondo into the fascia so It would be the right depth? That's a great idea! I used the curved backside of a screwdriver but a battery would have worked much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1 View Post
That looks like a great solution to the front license plate issue for a lot cheaper than I spent. MN requires a front plate too, but I woanted to be able to remove it whenever I wanted so I bought an old version of Big Mike's STO N SHO plate bracket. Had to jack up for install, and took about 30 min, but other than that turned out pretty good. Is it just me or does it look uncentered? OCD has been driving me crazy.
Attached Images

Tags
diy, front plate, license, removal, touch up