Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
Tuner guys.

So, since my tune my cars had a funny almost "turbo lag" feel when cold on part throttle at low RPMs and it occasionally does it even after warmed up. Like it cant decide if it wants to go or not, weird. Its not huge and in reality not very noticeable but i pay close attention so I feel it. Swapping to ls7 TB masked it up pretty good but its still slightly there. Been trying to figure out wtf it could be short of getting a retune before Im ready for stage 2 of my build and it dawned on me.....when I got my tune I specifically told my tuner I was dropping in a 160° t-stat so he said hed tune for it. Fast forward a crap load of conflicting research on wether its worth it or even possibly bad for the engine i scrapped the idea.
That being said when a tuner "tunes" for a lower t-stat, is that just kicking the fans on at a lower temp? Or is there something that could cause what im describing in the tune considering I never put it in?
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
Fans are electric, they just start at a lower temp and run at a higher rpm
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
Fishinfirefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash76 View Post
Fans are electric, they just start at a lower temp and run at a higher rpm
I know theyre electric, was just making sure that theyre werent any tables adjusted for a lower temp tstat?
Old 09-17-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
No, thermostat tuning really wouldn't change anything. So who tuned it, and what are the mods?
Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #5
Fishinfirefighter

Rotofab, 2.4 upper, 85lb injectors, BAP, LT headers, catless, ls7 tb, tiny port job on snout, tr6 plugs . Tune was prior to plugs, headers (was catless for tune) and TB but the odd behavior was there before and after. Was waiting to either cam it or meth before a retune since im going to be charged by the hour @120 for the retune. Pump couldnt keep up so 1st dyno pull made 580rwhp at 98° and 50%RH but lean up top (12.1 i think) near redline, went home installed the BAP and got that problem fixed. After BAP with AFR in check nearly same weather made 566 with afr 11.1 steady/flat on dyno pulls, he's know as a very conservative tuner here kinda wish he was a bit more aggressive with the tune Im not gonna slip up and fuel up with cheap low octane fuel or push it too hard.
Could be the BAP now that I think about it. Im gonna bypass it and stay out of boost for a trip to work n see if that clears it up. Its a Vortech BAP similar to KB so no progressive bells n whistles like the JMS. When that sucker kicks on my psi SHOOTS up to 70 sometimes a bit higher.

Last edited by Fishinfirefighter; 09-17-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
You got a bad tune...How the hell can loosing HP be justified...I only have a Stage 1 kit and I'm at 575 HP...I would be looking for another tuner, probable flooded with fuel down low...
STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote