Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 09-21-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Drives: M1SS1LE
Unhappy Stainless Works Axleback Drone.

Greetings.

I just had the Stainless Works Axleback installation completed on my car....I am hearing crazy amount of drone and in 6th gear its even worse :(.....has anybody been witnessing this with their cars having Stainless Works Axleback?

Thanks....
Sham001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sham001 View Post
Greetings.

I just had the Stainless Works Axleback installation completed on my car....I am hearing crazy amount of drone and in 6th gear its even worse :(.....has anybody been witnessing this with their cars having Stainless Works Axleback?

Thanks....
Sorry to hear about the drone issue. Does it occur in all NPP modes? I was wondering about drone on these considering it has a traditional muffler with no resonator. I'm really sensitive to drone, while I know many are not and just rev out of that range. For me, it was not enough, I wanted zero drone.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:07 PM   #3
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
Sorry to hear about the drone issue. Does it occur in all NPP modes? I was wondering about drone on these considering it has a traditional muffler with no resonator. I'm really sensitive to drone, while I know many are not and just rev out of that range. For me, it was not enough, I wanted zero drone.
Its occuring in all of the NPP modes
Old 09-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
As a comparison, I put the off road GM axle back on our 15 1SS and there was a ton of drone right around 70-76MPH... It is tough to know whether or not you'll have drone unless another owner installed and drove at many different speeds and throughout the gears and RPMS. After that experience, I don't plan on changing out the exhaust on my Camaros and specifically wanted one that had NPP. I am sure that there are brands that do not drone.
Old 09-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Hyper1SS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 NPP
This is why I have not changed out my factory NPP exhaust yet. I know most cost a lot of more money than we think they should but those I am hearing do not have any drone like the Borla exhaust. I am going to wait till this winter before I make my mind up and decide which one I want to go with. Right now the top 2 I am interested in is Borla and ARH. Hope you get this worked out! I know it drives a lot of people nuts.

2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 1SS M6 with body color hood vents, Silver broken 5 spoke wheels, NPP dual exhaust, Dark Night Interior Spectrum Lighting, Illuminated door sills plates.

Upgrades include: Roto-Fab intake, Mishimoto catch can, MBRP cat-back Race exhaust, TSP 1 7/8 headers, EFI E85 Flex Fuel, MRR M017 graphite wheels with Nitto N555 G2 tires, Goodridge stainless steel brake lines, Powder coated Brembo calipers, BMR suspension, Eibach sport springs, Emblempros fender badges

Order ID: TDHQMS
1100 on 01/07/2016 at Penske Chevrolet
6000 on 02/23/2016 Delivered to customer
Hyper1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #6
Richkidd87

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper1SS View Post
This is why I have not changed out my factory NPP exhaust yet. I know most cost a lot of more money than we think they should but those I am hearing do not have any drone like the Borla exhaust. I am going to wait till this winter before I make my mind up and decide which one I want to go with. Right now the top 2 I am interested in is Borla and ARH. Hope you get this worked out! I know it drives a lot of people nuts.
I have Borla on my car and it sounds awesome. No drone.
Richkidd87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richkidd87 View Post
I have Borla on my car and it sounds awesome. No drone.
I guess you get what you pay for
Old 09-21-2016, 06:04 PM   #8
AdmAnt13

Drives: '16 Red Hot 2SS M6 NPP
Quote:
Yep. I do not want drone so I plan on Borla when I feel like ponying up the dough.

'16 2SS, M6, Borla Atak
AdmAnt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #9
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Might consider going back to NPP and deleting the secondary cats - a bit more sound but no drone. This is the cheapest option, before spending on another pricey exhaust. Another suggestion would be the Flowmaster xpipe connected to the NPP stock although I have not heard anyone with it yet. To which, not sure what it would do to the sound of the NPP, but I would predict there still would be no drone due to the NPP suitcase.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:26 AM   #10
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:
Might consider going back to NPP and deleting the secondary cats - a bit more sound but no drone. This is the cheapest option, before spending on another pricey exhaust. Another suggestion would be the Flowmaster xpipe connected to the NPP stock although I have not heard anyone with it yet. To which, not sure what it would do to the sound of the NPP, but I would predict there still would be no drone due to the NPP suitcase.
Was thinking this too.. some who did it got a CEL and some even mentioned lost torque.. just slightly.. I could be wrong so I'll search it when I get a chance.

Some say it's secondary cats some say resonators..
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:37 AM   #11
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Great experience with the Borla S-type on my SS...I however purposely bought a non NPP model as to not pay for upgraded exhaust twice.

Curious, why did you yank out an NPP system that sounds awesome as is?
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:43 AM   #12
DisturbedSS

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

That first option is a dam good idea.

Was thinking the same on the other SS I almost bought with the NPP system installed. Had such good luck with Borlas on other cars, went the non NPP route instead.
DisturbedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 06:31 AM   #13
Sham001
PushRodLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedSS View Post
Great experience with the Borla S-type on my SS...I however purposely bought a non NPP model as to not pay for upgraded exhaust twice.

Curious, why did you yank out an NPP system that sounds awesome as is?
Wanted to get rid of the suitcase look from behind and get a slightly larger exhaust tips.....more importantly, i had no clue that this thing is going to drone soo much....
Old 09-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #14
Stainless Works

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Greetings.

Thanks....
Hey Sham,

I got your email last night and just replied this morning. I personally drove the 2016 Camaro SS during our marketing photos and videos. The axleback doesn't drone at all in Touring mode but has a little bit of drone in Track mode. This was intentional because we wanted to be really aggressive in Track Mode. The valves opening and the muffler becomes straight thru. I would check the install and make sure the stock tube wasn't deformed during the cut and also check the clamps to make sure they are tight. I'd also check the NPP motor and make sure its installed correctly and the wiring harness is connected. If the valve isn't working, you would basically be in Track mode all the time.

Feel free to call or email me after you've checked those things and we can troubleshoot further.

Thanks,
Jason
Stainless Works is offline   Reply With Quote