Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #29
Rhaar001

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Dude...just because it says 305 doesn't mean it's necessarily less grippy. An ET Street in a 305 will WAYYYYYYY out hook any Nitto in a 315, don't worry about 10 section width, you'll never be able to notice. The only cool thing about a 315 over a 305 is a bit of a bragging right, kind of. Do NOT worry about a 305. Infact I've read that the MT Et Street SS in a 305 is actually WIDER than an NT05R in a 315, if I can find the thread (Included pictures and a tape measure) I'll show it.

345 wouldn't fit, unless you did a lot of custom work (Or are ok with it sticking way the heck out).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrtowman View Post
This. That extra inch is just like your dingaling. Just for bragging rights. And that 315 you want in a 17 is a 26" tall tire. Over 2.5" less than your stock 20 fronts. All kinda traction control issues. Guess what the height is on the 305 18" tire is? You guessed it, a perfect match.
If you guys are saying the 305 et street ss is exponentially more sticky than even the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, then I should be good with a 305/35/20 on my stock wheel.

2013 Camaro ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic with Rotofab CAI, full flow-master exhaust with x pipe, Stainless Power Long Tube Headers, id 850s, 2.55 upper, 10% lower, 160* t stat
Rhaar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:40 AM   #30
Fishinfirefighter

Drives: Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaar001 View Post
If you guys are saying the 305 et street ss is exponentially more sticky than even the Michelin Pilot Super Sports, then I should be good with a 305/35/20 on my stock wheel.
Any dr is stickier......a LOT stickier than mpss. I have mpss 315s on my rears right now and m&h drs on factory repos for the track. Its unbelievable the difference.
Bone stock i could spin the snot out of mpss, now its laughable.
Fishinfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #31
Rhaar001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
Any dr is stickier......a LOT stickier than mpss. I have mpss 315s on my rears right now and m&h drs on factory repos for the track. Its unbelievable the difference.
Bone stock i could spin the snot out of mpss, now its laughable.
Glad to hear man. Thanks. I think I am going to keep the MPSS on stock 20s front and getting the ET Street ss on the rear stock 20s

2013 Camaro ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic with Rotofab CAI, full flow-master exhaust with x pipe, Stainless Power Long Tube Headers, id 850s, 2.55 upper, 10% lower, 160* t stat
Old 09-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #32
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ChameleonTA View Post
There is going to be a trade-off between wheel spin and handling, no way around it. I personally run 305/35/20 MT ET DR's on stock wheels and I hook just fine once they have a little heat in them. I don't daily drive my car though so I don't mind the wiggle in the corners so much. I've heard good things about the Toyo R888's being a good compromise but i'll let someone with actual experience with them chime in.
Live and learn....I just switched to the MT ET Street S/S (from Nitto NT05) on stock rims, and they hook great but as 97ChaneleonTA states above - you give up some of the handling capabilities of the car. Which is what makes the ZL1 fun to drive (mine's a daily driver).....as I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports up front, my next set of rear tires will be the Toyo R888's.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #33
Rhaar001

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post
Live and learn....I just switched to the MT ET Street S/S (from Nitto NT05) on stock rims, and they hook great but as 97ChaneleonTA states above - you give up some of the handling capabilities of the car. Which is what makes the ZL1 fun to drive (mine's a daily driver).....as I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports up front, my next set of rear tires will be the Toyo R888's.

Hmm now my decision gets harder lol. How are the Toyos as far as handeling is concerned? And what about the NT555 R II?

Last edited by Rhaar001; 09-24-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:40 AM   #34
Fishinfirefighter

You really should just get a seperate set for DRs. The mpss are some of the best "handling" tires out but they are not for straight line hooks. Complete opposite for DRs. Your going to compromise so much from each characteristic by trying to find "middle of the ground" it wont be worth it.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #35
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaar001 View Post
Hmm now my decision gets harder lol. How are the Toyos as far as handeling is concerned?
Well, they are considered an autocross tire so they should handle extremely well. Not sure how well they do in wet weather though.

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:36 AM   #36
99frc

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal45 View Post

Can you give us a little description of how the handling is different? Is it loose in the corners? Oversteer, understeer, etc?

Thanks!
2015 ZL1 #377
99frc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #37
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
R888s are a great compromise. However I'm not sure on their "Hooking" ability at 750+ WHP. But sup 650, I've read they hook as well as any DR but are built for the turns, hard turns at that. They last a bit longer than DRs and they do better in the rain than most/all DRs however, they're no where near as good as a PSS for wet weather.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:56 AM   #38
Rhaar001

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99frc View Post
Can you give us a little description of how the handling is different? Is it loose in the corners? Oversteer, understeer, etc?

Thanks!
And yes, I would like to know this as well. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfirefighter View Post
You really should just get a seperate set for DRs. The mpss are some of the best "handling" tires out but they are not for straight line hooks. Complete opposite for DRs. Your going to compromise so much from each characteristic by trying to find "middle of the ground" it wont be worth it.
Yea, I was thinking about getting a cheap set of rims for the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
R888s are a great compromise. However I'm not sure on their "Hooking" ability at 750+ WHP. But sup 650, I've read they hook as well as any DR but are built for the turns, hard turns at that. They last a bit longer than DRs and they do better in the rain than most/all DRs however, they're no where near as good as a PSS for wet weather.
Yeah the only thing I am scared about with DRs is if I have a go on the street and have to move around traffic, that they will not be responsive to lane switching.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:08 PM   #39
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
DR's cause a floating feel because the soft sidewall flexes. They definitely don't handle as good as regular street radials, but hook a million times better because of the softer rubber compound. If you've never driven on the street with them; take it slow at first to get used to them and don't drive them in rain.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #40
Rhaar001

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
DR's cause a floating feel because the soft sidewall flexes. They definitely don't handle as good as regular street radials, but hook a million times better because of the softer rubber compound. If you've never driven on the street with them; take it slow at first to get used to them and don't drive them in rain.
But moving around in traffic and changing lanes even at high speeds shouldn't be that much of an issue right?

Old 09-24-2016, 12:38 PM   #41
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99frc View Post

Thanks!
Taking a ramp from one highway to another on a route I frequently take, I usually can hit the ramp at the same speed I'm running at on the highway (65-70) without having to slow down when I had the Nitto NT05's. Now I have changed to the MT ET Street S/S last week - took that same ramp yesterday and noticed that the rear wobbled and then the stability nannies came on with the dashboard indicator light on slowing down my rate of speed. So, yeah - with the MT's - you get better traction/hook but loose some of the higher speed handling capabilities....in my experience so far.

I do not take corners hard on local streets, so I can't comment on that...but I assume the same.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #42
Fishinfirefighter

The first time i drove on my DRs ill tell you what, i wasnt expecting the feel at all. It may be different for 20s but my drag rears are 18s and they made the car feel like a boat in the rear even switching lanes compared to street tires. Its not a comfortable feeling on the freeway at all. I literally pulled over twice on the way to the track to make sure the lugs were torqued down....THAT kind of uncomfortable lol.